“Wow!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ylang Ylang Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Ylang Ylang Beach Resort to your Saves list
Ylang Ylang Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Montezuma Beach | 10-12 minute walk North along the beach, Montezuma 00000, Costa Rica (Formerly El Sano Banano Beach Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 19 hotels in Montezuma
Palm Springs, California
“Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

If you want to get away from it all, if you want to experience, a fantastic time in the jungle, on the beach and watching wild life, Ylang Ylang is the place for you. We have stayed at Ylang Ylang many times and it just gets better every time. The rooms are lovely, the food is excellent, and the staff the best. We love the beautiful views....every where you look is like a picture post card. It is just the most wonderful setting for a hotel possible. We love walking to town on the beach, even walking back at night is delightful. What more could you want?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

498 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Glastonbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I work a 60+ hour a week job in an extremely taxing investment management firm where noise and chaos reign supreme. Needless to say, when researching where to spend my precious (and few) vacation days, I was extremely careful to choose somewhere that would provide me with the comfort, relaxation, and quiet that I was desperately in need of.

I found paradise at Ylang Ylang Beach Resort in Montezuma, Costa Rica. Not only was it extremely affordable, but the view was spectacular. I woke every morning only a few steps from an absolutely stunning Costa Rican beach. The resort was so easy to navigate, with paths laid out to the restaurant, spa etc. Never once did I feel lost or overwhelmed like I have on trips to other locations. It was a family-friendly resort, with an atmosphere that welcomed all but provided a peace and serenity that you do not always find at most warm-weather getaways that have become jammed with spring-breakers.

I tried every dish that I could on the menu, all of which were delicious. The staff was so kind, introducing themselves to me, learning my name, and always saying hello anytime I stopped by. I have never met a friendlier group on any other vacation I have been on, they were a joy to be around.

I was so reluctant to leave at the end of my trip, Ylang Ylang provided me with the comfort of a home away from home. I will most certainly be going back very soon!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Kansas City, KS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Remote paradise only accessible by 4x4 or walking. All the charm of montezuma without the 20something hippies beating down your door. This was luxury with a smile! Rooms are 4 star but the views are 5 star. Most have direct access to the beach. The pool is beautiful with waterfall, hammocks, both sun and shade. Poolside drink service during happy hour. Meals are served from 7am to 10pm and are high quality, but not much variety. Lots of vegetarian options. The spa is one of the best I've ever visited. So good I went back on the second day. The deep tissue was just that and the next day the Thai massage was a perfect complement. Open air tent in the jungle with the waves crashing against the rocks, no music needed mother nature provides! The beach at the hotel is small, but the 15min walk away provides an expansive beach. At times we were the only ones there (usually in the morning). At most there were 15 people on this almost half mile beach! Secluded paradise off the beaten track!!!

• Stayed July 2013
Corning, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed 5 nights at Ylang Ylang Beach Resort for our honeymoon and had a perfect experience. We arrived at the Sano Banano hotel which is their sister hotel in Montezuma and a driver from Ylang Ylang was there to pick us up in 15 minutes and took us to the resort. There is no way you could find this one your own, it is very secluded - and for good reason. Once you get to the resort you are given welcome drinks which were absolutely delicious and the driver takes your luggage to your room for you. While walking to our bungalow we were in constant 'Aw' of the resort. There is rainforest all around but yet you can walk 100 feet and be at the beach. We stayed in the Beachfront Bungalow and it was very nice. The bungalow had air conditioning and the bathrooms, set-up, porch were all very nice. We ate breakfast and supper at Ylang Ylang everyday we were there and ALL meals were EXCELLENT and I can't say EXCELLENT enough. Their food was absolutely delicious. My husband and I enjoyed the 3-5:30p Happy Hour specials as well which was fun. We constantly had monkeys, lizards, and birds all around us. All of the staff, especially the evening waitors were wonderful and we truly enjoyed all of them. I also want to mention the sound of the waves right at your doorstep, literally. It was so relaxing and really made you feel at peace. There is wi-fi at the resort but we refrained from using it just because we wanted to escape reality which was very easy to do at this resort. My husband and I had never traveled out of the USA and are small-town people and this resort and town fit us to a T. Perfect size of town, and absolutely stunning, hidden gem resort of Ylang Ylang! We couldn't have asked for a better or more relaxing honeymoon.

Room Tip: Beach Front Bungalow is amazing!
Minot, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed two nights on our honeymoon at their in-town hotel, the Sano Banano, with its mustard stucco walls and weird rooms. We decided to upgrade for our third night in Montezuma and go to the Ylang Ylang where we had used the amazing pool and restaurant. They were offering a $50 off rate so we booked it. After having our luggage transfered we walked to the resort (you cannot drive your own car) and arrived to a kind desk lady that informed us that the $50 off was for two or more nights. It CLEARLY said for one night at the other location and my husband offered to walk all the way back and get the sign. She graciously made a call to her supervisor and gave us the rate, which was still $150 for the basic room. We arrived in our room to see that the decorations, walls, bed coverings, etc are EXACTLY like the place in town that we paid $65 per night. The amenities are better, like coffee in the room and a big bathroom but after three weeks in costa rica, most of the hotels would benefit from a heavy coat of white paint. The view is great as is the pool and the waiter at our table for the included dinner was fantastic!
I went to use the complimentary computer at the front desk that evening and a couple on their honeymoon was checking in. they were asking the desk man about many things that my husband and i had struggled through and learned about the hard way. I offered them my advice about walking to the waterfalls (which were both treacherous and i was slammed with massive driftwood en route, my husband couldnt even make the trek) The front desk person just said, oh yes, it is that way. offering no advice or warnings!!! He continued to talk to them and then they left.
I smiled and mentioned to him that it might be helpful to people unfamiliar with the area as we are, to advise them to the dangers of hiking the close falls (huge water rushing, slippery rock scrambling) and the far falls (massive tides, slamming driftwood, disappearing path, take a guide on horseback!!!!!) He wouldnt even look at me and muttered something under his breath and set to work straightening the brochures. I had been waiting there for help as well, for the computer did not function. I was ignored and insulted and went back to my room.
This would be 4 stars if the rooms were better looking and this person was like the rest of the staff and was kind. I think this hotel has a lock on high end accommodations in montezuma. For your $250+ you can stay someplace truly fantastic elsewhere.

Room Tip: the huts are ok but still poorly designed, if you stay here, save your money and stay in a regular r...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
uumatter, Owner at Ylang Ylang Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for mentioning our A+ location, amazing pool and restaurant. Regarding mention of our resort as overpriced could not be farther from the truth. Be aware that your stay included breakfast and candlelit dinner for two, aside from the many other amenities included. On top of that, you received a substantial discount we offer from time to time, in case of last minute cancellations or no-shows.

Thanks also for mentioning that "The view is great as is the pool and the waiter at our table for the included dinner was fantastic! ". We are happy you enjoyed the food and ambiance.

At Ylang Ylang Beach Resort, your room opens up directly to a lovely sandy beach, unlike El Sano Banano and the other hotels in town. One is a Beach-front Resort with all the amenities and associated costs and the other a village hotel with economy in mind.

We are sorry your experience with our desk manager was less than perfect and we have brought this issue to his attention. He apologizes for his actions and admits he was under pressure that day, with personal issues.

As far as design of the rooms and bungalows are concerned, what you consider weird we consider wonderful... and since you did not actually stay in a bungalow... well, you get the idea.

Lenny
Newnan, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

What an incredible introduction to Costa Rica by choosing your resort! We have fallen in love with this country and its people! Thank you for helping to make our 25th wedding anniversary so special. I have to say, from the correspondents through emails and phone calls before our trip, all the way through our departure from the resort, all the staff were very accommodating, helpful, gracious, friendly, etc. I can’t say enough wonderful things about all of you. The talented staff truly runs this place!

On our arrival to the Nicoya Peninsula and Montezuma, Eduardo Sanchez picked us up. He was so kind. He offered us cool drinks as we got into his very luxurious tour van and then proceeded to talk to us about all the sights along the way. He gave us so much great information that we ended up booking him for a nature tour later that week. The nature tour was incredible. We spent most of the day with him, and even went to eat at a few authentic Costa Rican restaurants. We highly recommend this to all the guest. They will learn so much about Costa Rica and the wildlife. In fact, I don’t know why Eduardo isn’t just making his living by taking guest on tours. He is an incredibly talented naturalist, and an amazing photographer! Thank you Eduardo!

Once we got to the resort, we were greeted with a refreshing and delicious cocktail and lots of smiles from the staff. I remember standing there and taking the sight of the resort in. I actually teared up because it was so beautiful. All of the different types of flowers, bushes, trees, landscape and how the buildings fit into the surrounding of the ocean was exquisite. We were standing in paradise. We made our way down the meandering path to our bungalow (Coco Joes), and again was amazed. The view of the ocean and private path, the hammocks, outdoor shower, and the seclusion and privacy of this space in the middle of the jungle was exactly what we wanted. It was perfect. Thank you Jeffrey and Cristol!

There is so much to do here! We walked and hiked to the big waterfalls, went on the canopy tour, walked and hung out at the swimming/ surf beach, did the nature tour, and took a long walk to another waterfall along the beach. Next time we come back, we’ll rent a four wheeler and head out of town for more exploring!

I can’t close this review without mentioning the food and your gracious wait staff. Every meal we had was absolutely delicious! Not only was the food incredible, but the presentation was beautiful. We could tell that a lot of love went into cooking every dish. We would like to send out our love and a special thank you to Xenia, Mileny, Lyn, Mima, and Christina. Your wait staff was so gracious, friendly and always accommodating, especially when it rained on our anniversary dinner, and a special private dinner was set up for us above the restaurant overlooking the ocean. Thank you Rafa, Christian, Harold, Patricia, Giselle, and Ana!

Thank you all so much for a vacation we’ll never forget and will highly recommend to all our friends and family. We hope to return some day. Hopefully sooner than later. Until then, we wish you all love, happiness, good health and lots of success in your lives.

John and Lara Hrinko

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
JAMoUSA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

My husband and I decided to celebrate our 10-year anniversary by traveling to the Ylang Ylang Beach Resort. We were a little nervous, because it is an adventure just getting to the location. St. Louis to Miami and Miami to San Jose. We then walked next door to this rinky dinky "air port" to fly on a 12-passenger plane to Tambor air strip. The resort had a driver waiting for us there (Eduardo). The drive was a very bumpy 45 minutes. We were delivered safely to the sister Hotel the Sano Banana. We immediately loaded into a SUV, driven by Eric, that took us on a very short, but very rugged drive to the resort. Whew! I must admit though, I felt a little like Indiana Jones:-)

Rapha was there waiting for us with fresh squeezed juice. It was a warm welcome. The grounds are outstanding! The staff was over the top friendly and helpful. We made many friends with the Ylang Ylang "family". All the workers spoke highly of the establishment and the management. They all talked how lucky they were to work there and how well they are treated. They took great pride in their jobs and working for Ylang Ylang.

The food was the best I have ever had on vacation. Three words: fresh, organic and quality! The blackened tuna with mango sauce was my favorite. We also enjoyed the frozen drinks immensely. Instead of using ice to water down the drinks, they used frozen fruit. The Monkey Business drink was my favorite. The wait staff became our friends quickly. They also helped us sharpen our spanish at each meal. They were great teachers. Thank you, Cristian, Rapha and Patricia.

The front desk was always helpful. They helped us book our day trips and get us back into our room when we locked ourselves out—daily. Always with a smile! One day we asked if there was someplace we could buy a coconut to drink from, within 5 minutes the gardener was out our door slicing a coconut open for us—a highlight of the trip.

Eduardo was our driver and guide for part of the trip. He brought us pure joy. He is an outstanding tour guide and naturalist. He even took pictures of our trips and sent us home with all the photos. We learned many things from him. Our favorite thing was our trip to Curu, a wildlife preserve.

We stayed in the jungle bungalow number 6. White-faced monkeys came every day around 4 PM. We could hear the holler monkeys, but they never came close enough to see. The grounds are loaded with crazy looking squirrels, crabs, lizards and other critters. We loved it. The room itself had everything we needed: bed, shower, and wonderful view. There is no TV or phone, but that is what we loved about it.

The only complaint is the pool was a little chilly for my family's taste. However, I spent the majority of my time at the resort in a hammock reading and drinking Monkey Business, so no harm.

We look forward to our return!

Room Tip: If you enjoy wildlife book a jungle bungalow.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ylang Ylang Beach Resort? Share your experiences!