“Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ylang Ylang Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Ylang Ylang Beach Resort to your Saves list
Ylang Ylang Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Montezuma Beach | 10-12 minute walk North along the beach, Montezuma 00000, Costa Rica (Formerly El Sano Banano Beach Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 19 hotels in Montezuma
Toronto, Canada
“Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This place was an amazing experience. Ylang Ylang was the 2nd stop on our trip and exceed all of expectations. As soon as you check in they give you a refreshing welcome drink that sets the mood for the rhythm at this resort. Time moves slow, the waves and the sounds of nature set the tone for a relaxing experience. Our room was very clean with a beautiful view. The food was amazing and the staff served as if you were at a fine dinning restaurant. They offer yoga classes daily at 8:30 am. The studio is open air with views of the ocean and beach, can't think of a better way to start my day! The town of Montezuma is a short walk down the beach and is also a very chill, laid back town. Loved every minute that we were here. Truly a relaxing retreat! Can't wait to go back.

499 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I can't say enough about the stay at Ylang Ylang. It was perfect. It doesn't have a lot of rooms and bungalows so all the staff knows your name and are so helpful and friendly. The food was the best food I've ever had. No joke. Amazing. I loved that we had hammocks outside our bungalows to lay in, the pool was nice and warm, the grounds were beautiful.
We drove from San Jose to Montezuma and was really surprised how dry the Nicoya Peninsula was. It wasn't anything like our following stop in Arenal which is gorgeous green and lush. So just be prepared for an hour drive from Pacquera to Montezuma to be dry and not very pretty. But once you get to the resort it is well worth the drive.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Stayed here for a few nights and LOVED it! We are frequent travellers and have stayed in luxury resorts all over the world. Although we were sleeping in a 'tent cottage' we would rate this with the best. You park your car in the town and they pick you up in a Land Rover Defender. The 5 minute drive is so fun, as you go to the end of the road and then proceed to drive right onto the beautiful white sand beach. The hotel is gorgeous! Nestled in the trees and right on the ocean. The first night we stayed in a two-story room, which was so nice. Big bathroom with all the amenities. It was clean and so peaeful, looking right onto the ocean. The next 2 nights we stayed in a tent-cottage, which was by far our favorite! They are private, with all the amenities of a room. You can hear all the wild-life, but you are still in a comfy bed and feel very safe with 24 hr security on the property. There is a sink with hot water and mirror/electrical plugs in your cottage. The toilet and shower is just down a small path and although I was initially hesitant about this set-up, I didn't mind it at all. Cleaned regularly (I mean, I don't think I ever wasn't the first to use a shower) it really wasn't a big deal! Also, no bugs and well lit. The food (it included breakfast and dinner) was superb. The breakfast menu was extensive, although we usually defaulted to the 'tipico', which included typical local fare. Make sure to ask for 'salsa lizano' which makes everything taste amazing! The dinner menu was very impressive. We LOVE sushi and their's was so fresh! We also tried fish dished and their seared ahi was wonderful. The service was great, they have a great wine list, and their location is near hiking trails, waterfalls, and obvi the beach. They offer yoga and the studio looked awesome. The pool was great too! Can't say enough about how much we loved it here. Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Tent Cottage is awesome!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Beacon, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

My husband and I spent 14 nights in Costa Rica for our honeymoon. We had booked most of our hotels, but left a few nights open to drive around and "explore". We both wanted to check out the Nicoya Peninsula, but only had 1 night available.

***Side Note: My husband has A LOT of experience driving off-road. He was looking forward to driving around CR and just checking things out. If you decide to visit the Nicoya Peninsula, take the ferry from Puntarenas (it's like $30 USD for 2 adults and a car + they sell beer during the 70 minute ride). When you get off the ferry, stay on the signed roads that go along the coast. DO NOT take "shortcuts". Also, we rented a Hyundai Tuscon (aka "Barbie Jeep") spring for a better 4WD if you want to drive on back roads.

We called Ylang Ylang late in the day to see if anything was available. They had 2 rooms - a private bungalow and a suite. I liked the suite better (it had a cool loft area that was all glass w/ a great view of the ocean). The suites seemed to be more for families w/ kids and the bungalows were geared towards couples, but we weren't there long and I liked the suite.

We got to the resort LATE (around 9 PM) dinner and breakfast are included, but be aware the kitchen shuts down at 10 PM. The food was good. Because we booked it really last minute, they took $50 off the room price (it was a little over $200/night). I don't think you can do that during the height of tourist season, but this was a weeknight in April, so it worked out.

The drinks are pricey for CR ($9 USD for a Mojito) and the pool also closes at 10 PM.

During our tour/intro, the hotel staff member mentioned that yoga classes were available (not sure if it cost additional $). I would have liked to get a massage, but we really weren't there long enough and the spa treatments were a little pricey (compared to other parts of CR).

I would recommend this place to couples w/ young kids... or anyone I know who is really into yoga, but I'm not sure I would stay there again. Also, not the best beach for swimming (rip tides).

Harlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We went to Ylang Ylang to see our son get married. When he first told us of his plans I was excited but apprehensive also. I had never been anywhere as exotic n was nervous of the unexpected. I needn't have been. From the moment we arrived at Ylang Ylang n were given thost delicious cold vanilla smelling flannels to freshen up with, until we left 5 days later we were treated like royalty.
Everything about the resort is beautiful. The monkeys roam freely and we saw all kinds of wildlife whilst we were there.The setting right on the beach is gorgeous but even more than that the staff are sooo friendly and attentive that nothing was too much trouble for them. The food I have to say is probably the best I have ever had the good fortune to enjoy on a holiday. Everything is fresh n cooked to perfection.
The accomodation you stay in is exquisite and every day it is cleaned and and freshened. We were lucky enough to have a sea view so could lie n listen to the waves , but the garden bungalows are equally as nice.
The town of Montezuma is a 10 minute walk along the beach and here you can find all your essentials. Ylang Ylang really is perfectly positioned!
I would have no hesitation in recommending this resort to anyone who wants to 'get away from it all' and if you are even remotely considering a beach wedding then have it here.
I hope one day to go back and enjoy it all over again.

Room Tip: There were 23 of us staying and everyone was very happy with their rooms. The only decision you need...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We came to Ylang Ylang the end of March/beginning of April; it was my husband and our 6 and 7 year old children. We had the most amazing time! Ylang Ylang was a perfect location away from it all, but close enough to town to walk or adventures. We thought it was going to be wonderful, but it exceeded our expectations!

We drove in from Liberia airport and had a stretch of about an hour that was stressful due to the bumpy dirt roads that are windy and steep. I would recommend the shuttle offered by Ylang Ylang for transport, unless you are up for an "offroading" type of experience. If you do choose to drive, I highly recommend 4-wheel drive.

Once we arrived to town we were greeted by friendly faces and helpful hands to transport us to Ylang Ylang from Solana Banana. The staff at the resort were wonderful from beginning to end! They were so friendly, accomodating and wonderful to my children (even bringing us to an off-limits area of the resort to see the monkeys up closer)

We could not believe how beautiful the grounds were even after viewing the pictures. They almost do not do it justice. You definitely feel like you are in a tropical paradise among the lush greenery, huge trees, and bamboo.

The beaches are so beautiful around the resort; we would walk left on the beach leaving the resort and go for so long without running into a soul. We went on many hikes off the beaches following rivers to waterfalls and saw many animals in their natural setting.

The food was incredible.....we tried a different breakfast and dinner entree at every meal and were never disappointed! We left Ylang Ylang feeling healthy after eating all the fresh and organic foods. My children miss the fresh squeezed juices, especially the passionfruit! To top off the great food, you get to enjoy every meal with a view of the ocean; you really can't beat it!

Our children had an amazing time following the iquanas, crabs, and monkeys around the resort. It is not necessarily the place for all kids, but it is perfect for the adventurous child who likes to hike, swim, and discover nature. As a parent of great eaters, I was also very pleased that the children's menu offered the kids much more than typical options, since they needed to order dinner from that menu. They could choose from salads, seafood, pastas and chicken dishes. The loved the food, as well!

On top of relaxing by the pool, walking the beaches, swimming and kiking, we took advantage of the spa at Ylang Ylang and loved it! We also had surf lessons through Young Visions Surf School with Manuel and were thrilled with the friendly service and successful outcome of the lesson. He picked us up on foot at the resort and we walked to Playa Grande, getting a history and nature lesson along the way.

It is so peaceful at Ylang Ylang- we will definitely come back! It has become the trip to measure all others against. It will be hard to top Ylang Ylang and the Montezuma experience! It is our Heaven on Earth.

Room Tip: We stayed in the building and had the end room on the bottom- #3. We had an amazing ocean view and...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Cary, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Oh my goodness was this place perfect! Such a peaceful place. Breakfast and Dinner are included. We fully expected meals to be buffet style as that has been our experience before. We were pleasantly surprised that all meals were ordered from the menu. The food was fabulous. Loved that we take a Land Rover to the resort as no vehicles have access via beach. Best three days of our 10 days in Costa Rica!

Room Tip: We stayed in the jungle and loved the view of the trees and the monkeys crossing by.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ylang Ylang Beach Resort? Share your experiences!