“Great trip- take the side trips” 5 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Save Saved
You added Ylang Ylang Beach Resort to your Saves list
Ylang Ylang Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Montezuma Beach | 10-12 minute walk North along the beach, Montezuma 00000, Costa Rica (Formerly El Sano Banano Beach Hotel)   |
Special Rate
UP to $70 OFF Bungalow
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
Lexington MA
“Great trip- take the side trips”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

The resort was lovely. We had one of the 'jungle' huts- it was very secluded, and up in the trees- great deck for watching the wildlife, the ocean just visible through the trees. Room was comfortable and cute- not at all like the places we have to stay when traveling for work. The grounds are lovely, and green all year. The beach in front is dramatic and beautiful but a bit strong and rocky for swimming- but a few minutes walk in either direction takes you to more swimable spots. Things to check out: The river (10 minutes walk to the left along the beach, with the interesting rock piles there). The waterfall (on the other side of the town of Montezuma). Excursions with Edwuardo Sanchez to the Sunset beach and Curo wildlife reserve were highlights of the trip. Edwuardo was super- knowledgeable, good driver, full of interesting tidbits, well worth having private tours. We also did the group snorkeling expedition and the canopy tour (not good if you have vertigo, great fun if you don't. They do have an easy 'way out' half way through the trip). The front desk people were so helpful in arranging all this! The breakfasts and dinners were in a lovely setting, very relaxed (not fast service so plan on being leisurely and relaxed). and the best of all was the prettiest yoga room ever (above the restaurant, open the beach) with excellent yoga teachers too- very accommodating to beginners.

Room Tip: The 'tents' are cute but don't offer a lot of privacy. We stayed in a garden dome, very...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Chapel Hill, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed here on a family vacation.
Overall this was a very nice resort, not at all plush, but very nice.
The best things about it--
The dinner and breakfast that come essentially free (etoh not included) were great. The dinners were the best food we had in CR.
It is right on the beach, and really takes you away from everything. Beach pretty secluded and nice. If you walk on the beach AWAY from town you get to a huge, non-rocky, beautiful beach.
My wife had a great am yoga session. Views were great.
The grounds were really nice.
Montezuma is a short walk and was a cool hippie/rasta expat kind of town.
Downsides--
Again, this was a secluded beach resort. NO TV, spotty internet. Pool was OK.
My wife went to the spa and said it was OK.
Not too much else going on at the site.

Overall it was good, but for comparison we stayed at Nayara resort in Arenal later and there is absolutely no comparison between the two--with Nayaral being amazing and Ylang-Ylang being good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

This place is magical! I got married here last month and had the most beautiful beach wedding of my dreams (thanks to Moraya Iacono, my Ylang Ylang wedding planner and all the incredible staff at the resort!), but that was just the cherry on top of my experience at this resort. The grounds are immaculate and beautiful, the food is delicious, the people are so kind and helpful, my beach bungalow was a dream, the pool is so lovely and refreshing, the smell of ylang ylang flowers is everywhere, there are all sorts of cool wild animals (monkeys, birds, iguanas, etc) mulling about.....I could go on and on!! All my guests loved it here and no one wanted to leave. The best part is the sound of the ocean waves crashing against the rocks, combined with the all the crazy sounds of the jungle lulling me to sleep every night. I loved it! I keep thinking I need to travel more and take more vacations, but honestly, I just want to keep coming back here. It was perfect.

Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed 5 days at Ylang Ylang, Very easy to get lost in another dimension of no responsibilities, no hassles, and no problems. Time just slips by. You may not come back to reality, and if you do, you won't want to. Montezuma is pretty standard for the little town by the beach, great restaurants including Ylang Ylang, Superb coast line,"God did a good job here", and amazingly nice people. I rarely ever travel to a same location but this may be one of the few that brings me back. If you can, grab one of their ocean side bungalows, and just enjoy. God, it is nice to be alive!
We have been back for a couple of weeks and what I would give up to be walking the 1/4 mile to town just to mail a postcard at the bookstore. During those travels the only thing that was on my mind was can I was the sand off my feet when the next wave comes in. Now that a tough day. Enjoy

Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

This was the most amazing trip! This resort is definitely first class! The rooms were great, the food was unbelievably good (with HUGE portions), and the staff always went above and beyond. Truly a wonderful place to go. I would, and already have, recommend Ylang Ylang to anyone! Thank you for a truly wonderful experience! ~Jenn and Brady---Florida, USA

Silver Spring, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Was here in march 2007 and again in March this year. Love the setting. Love the friendly staff. Love Patricia and Lenny, the owners. And find the food orgasmic. But since our first visit this hotel has been discovered by families with small kids. This seems odd to me -- the surf and ripping tide on Montezuma are too much even for many adults, and it's a long an arduous trip to get there with young'uns in tow.
Nontheless young families came in great numbers, transforming ylang ylang's small, shaded pool -- which can be an oasis during midday when the sun is blaring down hard -- into something akin to a neighborhood pool back home. Don't bother bringing a book to the pool because the noise from kids running along the banks, shouting and doing cannonball jumps makes reading impossible.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I read reviews of this place almost daily in excitement for our trip. Yes, it was all these awesome things you read about and more. On the way in, the driver told us they released baby sea turtles the day before we arrived (2/27) at a sanctuary next door. The grounds were beautiful, just like all the pictures, and we saw and heard monkeys daily and up close. Our first night was right after a full moon and the phosphorescents in the water were stunning, I've never seen anything like this glow. We also saw coati and monkeys. The food was absolutely amazing, I was turned from a vegetarian into a pescetarian with that seared tuna. I'll go back just for that but I want you to know about the exceptional staff. After a 7hr trip from Fortuna, in the heat and humidity, we had a delicious meal, and BF was suddenly not well. He stood up, walked a few feet, and collapsed at the restaurant. The staff and a guest rushed to help and gave us ice cold towels and water. They reassured me this was dehydration and helped get him back to the room. We had no phones but they said to call to the nearby security guard if needed and this was reassuring. The next day at the restaurant Christian was very welcoming and caring and we so appreciated this. We were staying a few days and planned to have many meals there so this instantly made BF feel at ease and able to relax and enjoy our stay. Thanks again Christian, Moraya, and guy from Ohio with the dentist brother! :) You guys are the best! We will be back!

Room Tip: We had a beach front room but would probably spring for an upgrade next time. It felt a little tight...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ylang Ylang Beach Resort? Share your experiences!