“Awesome experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ylang Ylang Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Ylang Ylang Beach Resort to your Saves list
Ylang Ylang Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Montezuma Beach | 10-12 minute walk North along the beach, Montezuma 00000, Costa Rica (Formerly El Sano Banano Beach Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 19 hotels in Montezuma
Mountain View, CA
“Awesome experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

This is a beautiful resort right next to a pristine relaxing beach. The room and food were great. It a great place to go to relax and do nothing much. Just hang out on the beach, get a massage, eat great good. I really enjoyed staying here and I'll be coming back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

496 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Belleville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Spent Christmas at Ylang Ylang with our 3 adult children (ages 22,20,20)and had an awesome time. Relaxed and laid back, 5 star service. Staff are wonderful, food was soooo good. Beautiful views everywhere you turn. Wonderful, versatile beaches within walking distance. Terrific fun when we went horseback riding on the beach, in rough rocky terrain and in the rain forest with a waterfall destination. Surfing is an absolute must. We had no experience and we didn't want the day to end. Our tour guide for surfing and into the Montezuma waterfall was Maunel. Can't say enough nice things about him; friendly and informative with lots of stories and patience for the inexperienced surfer and mountain climber. We rented a car and drove from San Jose to Puntaranas where we caught the ferry to Paquera and drove to Montezuma. Montezuma has some shopping but the shops in Santa Teresa we far better. Beware of the girl at the Ice Cream Shop, she intentionally tried to over charge us and was insistent that we owed her 114000 colons for 5800 worth of gelato. She rolled her eyes at us and moved onto the next customer trying to ignoer us when we were insistent that she was overcharging us. Pizza parlor next to Chiccos Bar seves great affordable pizza. The Bakery Cafe seved freshly prepared food and the friendly staff gave us babanas to feed to the monkeys who hang out in the trees nearby, like arms reach nearby! The yoga was very relaxed and inspiring. The walk into Montezuma was just a short jaunt.Friendly locals. Watched hatchling turtles make their way into the ocean from the hatchery located on the beach and along the path to town. The pool is very refreshing and with the resort only having 21 rooms it was never an issue getting beach chairs or ppl being intoxicated. Lots of wildlife seen on the resort grounds. Will definitely recommend this resort to my friends. Again a big thanks to Manuel and all the staff at Ylang Ylang for helping to make this a trip of a lifetime!

Room Tip: We stayed in the family suite at the end of the resort. Was very comfortable and the walk along the...
Boynton Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My husband and I got married in Costa Rica and spent a portion of our stay at Ylang Ylang. What a wonderfully beautiful resort - from the people to the food (breakfast and dinner included! We loved the Spicy Shrimp appetizer and the fusion of different food options) to the location, it was the best! The open air spa was a treat along with the monkeys swinging overhead. The bungalow we stayed in overlooked the beach and sunrise. We happened to be there for their annual New Years celebration and it was an amazing way to ring in the new year. I found this hotel because of TripAdvisor and we weren't disappointed. The only tough part was getting to Montezuma from central Costa Rica, be prepared for a long trek with lots of hills and windy roads - but if you can stomach it, it was well worth the rustic travel day!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We sent a week there and our only regret was to leave, the staff is always more then courteous the food is great and the beach is the best. If you love nature mixed with comfort this is the place to be. We will back.

Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I have been to Ylang Ylang four times since 2006, taking my friends there,
or like this trip, staying there with my two teen boys15 and 17 years old.
Ylang Ylang is run by a very nice family who own and manage the hotel.
Since they founded the hotel more than two decades ago,
its been growing and improving in so many ways.

This year we got to stay in TTC, a bigger tent on a platform high on the hill, with outdoor shower.
A grand king size bed, and from it, overlooking the ocean although with some trees in front of it.
TTC is perfect for honeymooners, since it has a very private location.

Howling and cappuccino monkeys are jumping from tree to tree during the day.
Sometimes fighting or playing. Three years ago we were on the beach below and maybe 15-20 cappuccino monkeys took my friends beach bag and ran around with it,
until it was empty of fun stuff to check out.
People had lots of fun seeing us chasing the monkeys.
However, dont feed them, their stomachs dont work on human food.

The Ylang crew have worked there for a number of years.
Alway being patient and extremely friendly.
One of the keys why you want to visit Costa Rica, besides the fact that visitors very rarely get sick (unlike in Mexico or Egypt) actually - are the Costa Ricans themselves.
Extremely friendly and humble. No fake smiles.

On this trip I twisted my foot vrist badly on Christmas eve.
I had a fantastic massage in another TTC and came too relaxed
down the stairs and really hurt my self bad.
Manager Chris worked really hard, calling many places in order to get me crutches,
Harold from the restaurant got me ice and instructions for how long to chill and warm up the foot. Reception manager Jeffry fixed me up with his own best bandages.
The rest of the staff kept looking after me as I was parked by the pool for hours.

We knew that nothing was broken, however its a stress to know that 80%
of you holiday is still left and you may not be able to do any yoga, surfing,
riding or dancing. So got a bit depressed.
I have been travelling the world both for business and pleasure since mid 80ies, stayed in maybe more than 100 hotels in many countries. Ylang Ylang wins the "best staff" award for all the hotels I ever been to - ever. Their sincere hearts was in my healing process. Thanks to their care, I could toss the crutches after a couple of days. Not being back to normal, but much better than I expected.

The food is was is already so well expressed in some of the other reviews here - and Yes, its very very good. Vegan, Raw foods, vegetarian and "normal" foods. Try the blackened tuna, yummy!
Its the first time my two boys eat well nourished food - every meal.
You can drink the tap water.

Wifi can always be improved as in almost all of the 8 places I have stayed in the Nicoya peninsula.
Slow but it works.

If you find the bed too hard to sleep on, ask for a madrass, staff will fix up like a princess.

The beach is nice and clean. But be aware of underwater streams.
Not a surf point, but okey for enjoying a dip or a swim.

Since we stayed for the Christmas event and that we where a part of the
New Years event two years ago, I must say bingo!
Belly dancers including a fire show was spectacular.
Soft Spanish classic music preformed before and after the show. Nice!
Its a bigger event and celebration for New Years at Ylang. Buffe, show and fireworks.
Best in Nicoya I would say, if you like to sit down and be entertained.

Ylang have a good variety of excursions. However, their eco plan is at heart and true.
Many small and big things make you feel earth friendly. One is sponsoring the Karen Morgensen park and the owners connection to the actual Swedish/Danish couple Wessberg Morgensen who founded Costa Ricas first national park Cabo Blanco (just a few miles away and is great to walk in) and their work to preserve the wild life and jungles in Costa Rica.

Price?
Its half pension. It works if you like breakfast and dinner planning taken care of.
Im a operating entrepreneur with my teen boys (filled with beens), so Im exhausted when I arrive.
Ylang Ylang is the perfect landing place, exotic, but private, and still enough people around when you want that.

Any negatives at all? My 15 year old had some problems sleeping due to the sound of the waves.
I fall a sleep by it. Bring ear plugs if you believe you are sensitive to it.
The location of Ylang is 500m from Montezuma village and you must walk on the beach unless you wait for the hotel shuttle takes you.

Otherwise?
Perfect magical paradise - will return as always!

Room Tip: Coco Joes or the TTC (tree top cabin) are the best.
Markham, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is truly a unique and special place. We travellied to Ylang Ylang for a Christmas vacation with our family of 4, daughters 11 and 15, my wife and I. We were looking for a place to start our Costa Rica vacation that combined beach relaxation with some fitness related activities away from the large resorts found elsewhere. From our arrival at the Tambor airstrip to our departure 6 days later from the beach in Montezuma aboard a water taxi our trip was exceptional.

The pace of life in this area is definetly slower than our normal lives and while it took a day or so to come to terms with that by day 6 I was happy to take time to savour every moment.

Here is my one very small caution, this is a somewhat remote, jungle-ish property so you will experience bugs of various types, birds, lizards, monkeys, bats and other assorted animals. We had a small issue with ants in our room one night which was quickly addressed and loved the closeness that we were able to commune with the natural environment. The ability to open our windows facing the thundering waves brought a peacefullness to our surroundings that I have never experienced in all of my travels.

The staff at Ylang Ylang are to a person exceptional. It is clear to see that they enjoy their work and take pride in the positive experience that they help to create for their guests. I would list Particia and Christian who work in the restaurant area as prime examples of staff who work tirelessly to ensure that guests are well looked after.

I am a meat eater and was well aware that my menu options were going to be limited at the restaurant. Although I did fully miss not having a juicy piece of beef for almost a week I was totally satisfied at every meal. The dishes were loaded with flavour and the portions were very generous. The fruit bowl with granola and yoghurt at breakfast contained more fruit than I would consume in a week, all fresh and delicious.

Room Tip: Coc Joe's cabin is not to be missed although I don't think there is a bad room at the resort...
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Recently my daughter got married at the Ylang Ylang Beach Resort. Words can't describe how beautiful the wedding was right on the beach before sunset. You couldn't ask for a nicer setting! The amazing rainforest goes right up to your bungalow. We stayed in the garden bungalow which is more secluded. The howler monkeys can be heard as well as the sound of the surf. My daughter stayed in the beach front bungalow where she had a private ocean view and hammocks were located nearby. We had about 30 guests that stayed at the resort for almost a week and everyone said what a great time they had. Many people said it was the best wedding that they have been to. The food is wonderful! We liked that breakfast and dinner were included with our room. The staff is exceptional, even knowing everyone's name. The flowers for the wedding were amazingly beautiful. The rooms are very clean and the staff couldn't do enough for you. If you are planning a destination wedding, I would recommend you consider this resort. Plan to stay at least a week so you can enjoy all of they beauty and plan a snorkel trip while you're there!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ylang Ylang Beach Resort? Share your experiences!