“Magical and Beautiful, Ylang Ylang Offers It All~ Well beyond 5 Stars” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ylang Ylang Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Ylang Ylang Beach Resort to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Ylang Ylang Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Montezuma Beach | 10-12 minute walk North along the beach, Montezuma 00000, Costa Rica (Formerly El Sano Banano Beach Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 19 hotels in Montezuma
Hopewell, Pennsylvania, United States
“Magical and Beautiful, Ylang Ylang Offers It All~ Well beyond 5 Stars”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

My husband and I spent our Honeymoon at the Ylang Ylang Beach Resort beginning on November 27th 2012. We had just been married in Key West while on a Carnival Cruise with 80 guests. The wedding cruise was amazing, but very busy and a bit stressful. My parents are avid travelers and had been to Costa Rica many times. Along one of their journeys, they found the small village of Montezuma. They fell in love with the laid-back artsy vibe while being surrounded with the beautiful beaches and the wonderful wildlife. While in Montezuma for the day, they found the secluded, lucious resort of Ylang Ylang. They only had time for a couple of drinks before having to move on, but they fell in love with the ylang ylang immeadiately and always had plans of returning.

In the planning of my honeymoon, Phil and I decided that Costa Rica would be an ideal destination for us to travel. Upon discussing this idea with my mom, she immeadiately asked if she could plan our trip for us. She said that she knew exactly the spot to send us. Hands down she could not have planned anything more perfect in the entire world.

The Ylang Ylang is so unique...so exceptional that it will be very difficult for me to put into words how truly magnificent the resort is. Phil and I stayed in Coco Joe's bungalow which overlooks the beach. I could have spent hours lying in the loft bed with the triangle windows wide open, listening and watching the crashing waves; feeling the salty ocean breeze. The bungalow was magical...set privately within the jungle trees it offered a spectaular view of the beach. The outdoor shower was so inviting...even showering was a luxury at the Ylang Ylang. Our bungalow was so comfortable and we received sprinkles of fresh local flowers each day.

The staff at Ylang Ylang are one-of-a-kind. Each staff member knows you by name within a day and are willing to bend over backward to ensure that your stay is perfect. We would run into the staff members of the ylang ylang in town...even there they would go out of tehir way to say hello and see how our daily adventures were going. From the beautifully kept grounds, to the clean rooms, the amazing reception desk that would help with planning your day; the staff was remarkable!

The ylang ylang restauraunt was in a class of its' own. My husband is a chef and can be critical. He was astounded and inspired by the food that was sereved for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I am a vegetarian and could not believe the unique and marvelous choices that I had on each menu. The food was extremely fresh and so delicious that it makes it difficult for me to want to go out to eat anywhere now that I am home. It honestly spoiled me! We never missed a meal!!! Phil fell in love with the blackened tuna. I NEVER saw a reaction for a dish like he had for that one! He said it was the best dish that he had ever had! I enjoyed the vegetarian version...the blackened tofu :) Phil would always try my dishes, and despite hating tofu, he loved the blackened tofu dish!!! The setting of the restaurant was breathtaking! Wildlife surrounded you as you looked out to the ocean while dining! It was dream-like. The service in the restaurant was phenomenal. It was so personal! The wait staff works so hard to make sure that each dining experience is faultless. The kitchen pays attention to every detail on each plate. The bar makes the most amazing cocktails!

The ylang ylang is the most amazing, spectaular, unique and quaint resort that I have ever dreamed of staying. As I mentioned before, it would be impossible for me to completely describe through words. You have to stay there and experience the place to understand how truly magical it is. Rating this resort with stars would never be able to provide the story that the ylang ylang has to share....if you have a chance I highly reccommend becoming part of the story.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

502 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Encinitas, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is a wonderful, truly special place. I woke up excited every morning to go outside and see what animals would wander by, and to watch the sunrise from this perfect setting.
There are lots of things to do in the area, but I was often torn because I didn't want to leave.
The food was unbelievably good, and all of the staff there are so wonderful, you get the feeling they love to work there and show you the best of their fantastic country. I really appreciated all of them.
It is one of my greatest hopes that I will get to return to the Ylang Ylang some day.

Room Tip: Our ocean front room was smallish, but adequate, especially since you spend all your time on the por...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I did quite a bit of research before choosing Ylang Ylang amongst hotels both in Montezuma and also in Santa Teresa. TripAdvisor was very helpful in deciding on Ylang Ylang. As it normally is, TripAdvisor was right!

The hotel has bunagalows and ocean-view hotel-style rooms to choose from. The bungalows are bigger and looked pretty cool but the ocean-view room was perfect since we weren't staying at the resort very much with the excursions we had planned. You are situated in the jungle so if animals and bugs freak you out, pick something else. However, we loved everything about the nature and ambience. Each room has a nice balcony with chairs and a table to convene around and smoke cigars :)

The pool is nice and open late. The beach is very pretty although I didn't see anyone braving the rocks and waves to swim. The hotel manager was A-MAZE-ING. He accommodated us on numerous special requests and even left sushi dinner in our room for us since we were arriving unexpectedly late. He helped us find an excursion through the hotel to Tortuga Island for snorkeling, shore lunch, volleyball and playing with the local wild pig that came out of the jungle to let me scratch his belly. He also booked us a trip with a morning fishing charter. The charter did put us on fish and we landed the largest Mahi I've ever caught, however, the boat is not truly setup for ocean fishing so lower your expectations or you will be disappointed.

The hotel service was as good as any hotel I've stayed at. The restaurant surpassed all of our expectations and one of my friends and I have eaten at 5-star restaurants around the world. Cannot rave enough about the quality of the food there.

I give my full endorsement of Ylang Ylang. A perfect vacation spot.

An additional tip - Make sure you factor in time to catch the ferry there or back to the mainland. Driving in Costa Rica can be hairy. We missed the better ferry out and the later ferry cost us an additional hour of driving based on where it dropped us off. Good luck!

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms were as nice as you could really want unless morning noise from neighbors is a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Aspen, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Our stay was absolutely incredible. We initially booked a tent and had a surprise visitor at midnight (bc I left a luna bar in my suitcase, stupid me). We moved to a enclosed room on the ocean after we awoke Kaiya, the lovely GM, from his sleep. He was extraordinarily accommodating at 1am and explained that the property lives on a protected nature reserve with plenty of wildlife. In fact, we were surrounded by howler monkeys, white-face monkeys, iguana and birds the entire time. Also, happened to be the best food we ate in Costa Rica. Impeccable service and all of the water (including the showers) comes from a well/treated w UV....It was the most delicious water I've ever tasted. Everyone was extraordinarily friendly and helpful on staff. Will definitely return!

Room Tip: Book a dome room on the ocean for a romantic getaway...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We spent 2 weeks in Costa Rica and travelled to 4 different locations. I have to say the best time we had was in Montezuma. And our stay in Ylang Ylang has a lot to do with this. Location is fantastic, facilities are great, food was superb but best of all was the staff. From the reception guys to the waitresses and the masseuse, all were genuinelly friendly and helped on anything we asked.
The deal was also very good (breakfast and diner included).
I am not sure when we will go back to CR but if we do, we will definitely go back there for few days.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Cancun, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

We did not stay here, we stayed at their other location in town, however, we were allowed to use their pool. This hotel is amazing and the staff were all extremely friendly and helpful. We had lunch and the food was excellent and top notch service. Next time we will stay here.

Stayed November 2012
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Dinner and brekfast whit nice ocean view ;) not far from town
you sleep outside in bongalow. Or plastic tent but it is nice and the dinner was awsome;)
Right at the beach whit the perfekt wawes fore som surfing.

Room Tip: you sleep outside in bongalows
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Ylang Ylang Beach Resort? Share your experiences!