“A retreat from the world....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ylang Ylang Beach Resort

You added Ylang Ylang Beach Resort to your Saves list
Ylang Ylang Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Montezuma Beach | 10-12 minute walk North along the beach, Montezuma 00000, Costa Rica (Formerly El Sano Banano Beach Hotel)   |
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
Los Angeles, California
“A retreat from the world....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

My boyfriend & I came here for his birthday. It feels so private, romantic & remote... We had to take a land cruiser on the beach to get there. The ocean waves, the hammocks, the multi-colored crabs & lizards that scamper on the pathways, the cocktails, the food, the friendly people. We really loved that they put fresh flower petals all around the sink and made a birthday cake out of towels decorated with flowers, spelling out his name. Clean, dreamy, an oasis, your own tropical jungle... This place rocks!!! :) Here's a video... http://youtu.be/aF7_uRTLSQI

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Riverton, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Despite the weird name of this hotel, my wife and I had a marvelous experience. We stayed 3 nights in a beach-front bungalow, falling asleep to the sounds of the ocean each night. Even though it was the "rainy season," we only experienced short showers at night, so enjoyed marvelous weather.

The Ylang Ylang Resort was very clean, our bed was perfect, the a/c worked great (which helped us dry out from the humidity at night). The restaurant was superb: definitely the best food we ate in Costa Rica.

The grounds were crawling with interesting lizards, which was delightful for us. The location is a short walk from the town center, which was perfect: far enough away from the traffic to keep the beach empty, but close enough to easily get to Montezuma for excursions.

The way the landscaping and architecture are set up, visitors are afforded a great deal of privacy. You would be very comfortable and happy here as a couple, group, or family.

Room Tip: Go for the Beach-front Bungalow. Close to the sand, but you will not be exposed to foot-traffic goi...
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

My husband (<--still weird to say) and I spent 6 days at Ylang Ylang in Montezuma, and we couldn't have been more blown away. We knew that we didn't want to honeymoon in a massive resort that isolated visitors from the local culture, but we also didn't want to "rough it" like we usually do. It was in this mindset that we found Ylang Ylang reviews here on Trip Advisor, and we were glad to see that they were (mostly) accurate.

The best thing about Ylang Ylang is that it's the perfect balance of comfort and an authentic experience. If you walk in one direction down the beach, you'll reach the town of Montezuma. If you walk the other way, you'll find freshwater streams, amazing seaside boulders, and what we affectionately started calling "The Pirate Beach". (It seemed like the perfect place for old school pirates to dump their treasure.) And no matter how sweaty you get, no matter how hard you hike/climb up those boulders, you know you have a hut w/ AC, a shower, and a comfortable waiting for you.

As others have mentioned, the food was excellent. Our package included breakfast and dinner everyday, and it was enough food to where we only ate lunch on one day. We looked forward to every meal, and none of them disappointed. I was really surprised with how large their menu was--perfect for those staying for more than a couple nights.

The spa was nice, too. We had a couple's message, and the spa itself was beautiful and relaxing. My husband says his masseuse was great, as she communicated with him to assure she was applying the right amount of pressure, etc. My masseuse, however, was a little less impressive. Basically, she didn't go hard enough. I was a little disappointed, but I chalked it up to the fact that she was most likely newer. Regardless, I still found my spa experience to be relaxing and enjoyable, and I would book another message in a heart beat.

The only activity we did was the horse ride to the world's only (?) waterfall into the ocean. We had the front desk book it for us, and I believe they booked it with "El Pinto". If you're adventurous, you should definitely do this. It was our favorite day! Marvin was an amazing guide, he takes very good care of his horses (which we heard through the grapevine), and he even brought along a snack. Neither of us were experienced horseriders, and we were sore for a couple days. But man was it fun!

Finally--do the beach side dinner, or "Dinner Romantico" as it's called. It really is romantico.

Can't wait to back to Ylang Ylang, maybe next time with our families.

Room Tip: We stayed in D-1 (there was something about "helaconia" tiled into the hut.) Even though i...
Bryan, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

My wife and I had high expectations of our trip to Costa Rica, and the experience we had at Ylang Ylang made it a dream vacation come true. Things we liked: the remoteness (some of our friends thought that we were weird to choose a hotel that requires a 10-15 min beach walk to get to, but having the whole beautiful beach to ourselves made it well worth it); the food (you've gotta try to the shrimp kabobs for dinner); the beach bungalow (rainforest out the back door, stunning beach view out the front door); the customer care from beginning to end (we had flower pedals sprinkled all over our bungalow when we arrived, and the staff was nice enough to ship the pair of glasses I left behind at no charge). I'm a penny pincher, so the $250/night price was hard to swallow at first, but I can honestly say it was worth every single penny.

PS-- The colored rock beach which is a 5 min hike up the beach was one of the coolest beaches I've ever been on.

Room Tip: We liked the beach bungalows.
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

From the moment I contacted Ylang Ylang about a possible trip until my departure after a week on the property, the staff took me in their care and made me feel comfortable and welcome. The property is absolutely beautiful, the food simply terrific, and the yoga retreat with Ireni Stamou, calming and somewhat life changing! Spa fabulous, activities fun (enjoyed Pinto horseback riding), and accommodations unique. To me, beaches rival Hawaii.

Room Tip: Beach front bungalo was fabulous but tents look really cool as well.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Ylang Ylang is one of my all time favorite hotels - wonderful people, fantastic food, a quiet and relaxing place that feels both isolated from the world and also connected. A wonderful pool, playful monkeys, a short walk to the beach and comfortable rooms make this a special place to visit.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
NRH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

How cool is it that you can't even drive to this place?! THey pick you up in a LAnd Rover because they have to drive on the beach to get there! I LOVED IT!!! If you want to go into town, it's only about a 15 min. walk if that, and I fell in love with the town! The food at Ylang Ylang is very very high end. The breakfast and dinners are included, and the dinners would cost a solid $50 a plate here in Texas. The BEST tuna I've ever had. If you want to unplug from the hectic life in America, this is where you go. Also, check out Playa de la Artistas. WOW!

Room Tip: If you have a family get the loft family room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Ylang Ylang Beach Resort? Share your experiences!