“Ylang Ylang Resort in Montezuma” 5 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Save Saved
You added Ylang Ylang Beach Resort to your Saves list
Ylang Ylang Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Montezuma Beach | 10-12 minute walk North along the beach, Montezuma 00000, Costa Rica (Formerly El Sano Banano Beach Hotel)   |
Special Rate
UP to $70 OFF Bungalow
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
San Diego, California
“Ylang Ylang Resort in Montezuma”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

This place was truly exceptional. Tucked in the jungle, with crabs, frogs, monkeys and all other sorts of creatures abounding. It was lush and relaxing. I stayed right on the beach and each night fell asleep to the waves of the ocean crashing. Service and staff were great. I strongly recommend the yoga class with Irena-she is a healer and amazing. I would definitely return.
Also, a quick side note- I flew on Sansa airlines from San Jose. I consider this the best way to go. It was a quick flight, brings you close to montezuma. Therefore I was able to spend my time at the resort and not in transit.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

Anyone who has seen pictures from Ylang Ylang or been to their website knows how beautiful the setting is. And how many animals there are. This was exactly as advertised. It is a fantastic place to just relax and enjoy the sun, the surf, the pool, and the bar. I read more books by the ocean and by the pool in 5 days than I have in 5 weeks and I enjoyed every minute of it. The animals were really cool too, and they were all around - howler monkeys, hummingbirds, butterfiles, pumpkin crabs, hermit crabs, geckos, chameleons, iguanas, and even a boa constrictor. The food and drinks were excellent too - I always found myself waiting for happy hour (get the Ylang Ylang - a mojito made with guaro) or dinner (get the ahi tuna)!

The staff at Ylang Ylang, however, is what made our vacation special. We were there during the beginning of the green season, the last week of May, and the resort was relatively uncrowded. We spent hours at the bar and in the restaurant talking with the staff. Patricia, Christian, and the short petite woman (sorry, I'm terrible with names) were the best! They are just really fun, interesting people and I'm so happy that we got a chance to meet and spend some time with them. My wife teaches Spanish and she got to spend a lot of time speaking Spanish, too, which was an added bonus. In tourist areas in CR, it's hard to get someone to speak to you in Spanish!

As far as activities go, we didn't do a lot. My wife did yoga a few mornings and had a spa treatment (both of which she loved). We took an El Pinto Expeditions horseback ride along the beach with owner Marvin and it was great - that was where we saw the boa constrictor! See separate review. Mostly we just relaxed. If we were to go again, we'd probably do an Isla Tortuga snorkeling expedition. As some other reviewers mentioned, the beaches near Ylang Ylang aren't great for swimming - big rocks and strong surf - but I spent a lot of time just walking knee deep in the water along the beach and the rocks. Several coves up the coast, which we rode through on our horses, had some really nice, empty beaches for swimming. We might hike up to those beaches to swim if we came again. Some reviewers noted that the beaches had a lot of plastic and other trash on them, but there are some really beautiful clean beaches as well. Ylang Ylang's beaches were spotless.

The town of Montezuma is fine - we had lunch and bought groceries in town and went out one night to the biggest bar/club and watched the fire dancers in the street. There are restaurants, hotels, gift shops, and outfitters/tour operators in town too. For me, the town isn't what we came for. If so inclined, though, it is a place where you could have a good time.

Ylang Ylang is a great place for nature lovers to go who just want to relax. I would definitely come here again, although I wish it were easier to get to. Travel in CR is exhausting, and if you go by land and ferry, it is nearly a full day from Arenal to Montezuma and slightly less from San Jose to Montezuma. If you come, you need to plan to stay a while!

Room Tip: We stayed in Beach Front Dome 4. Be advised that these buildings are not airtight. We had a gecko...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Mendocino County, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Arrived in Montezuma with no idea where to stay. Just knew I wanted to be close to the beach in a safe environment at a resonable price. Walked up the beach from Montezuma and found this gem of a resort. It's quite pricy. but it was the end of the season and mid-week so I was offered a very resonable price on one of the tent-cabins. Sweet! Right on the beach and the resonable price included breakfast, dinner and two beverages! I was close enough to town to walk there but far enough away to hear nothing but the waves on the beach and the monkeys in the trees at night. VERY VERY cool spot! It's also a yoga retreat so there was a wonderful place to practice early morning tai chi as well. Must say the massage was one of my most favorite massages ever! A true spoil-me adventure! Yum....loved this place!

Room Tip: If you're on a budget but still want to spoil yourself try the tent-cabins. There is electricty...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

Aside from the natural beauty of the Ylang Ylang location and top notch service, the best part was traveling there by car. The drive from the Paquera to Montezuma was awesome. Driving thru small towns on dirt roads mixed with paved roads provided a true CR experience. The resort is well kept and a short hike from the small "Bohemian" town of Montezuma. We were there early March 2012 and had a room in the Jungle King. The foilage and wildife (monkeys) were amazing to view. I recommend traveling to Mal Pais and Santa Teresa if you have a car but don't do this during the rainy season. Beautiful place, would definitely return.

Room Tip: I would shoot for a beach bungalow since they are private. But the Jungle King is just a well.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I found Ylang Ylang as I was searching endlessly for a resort to host my wedding. I have to say, the reviews made my decision for me, so thank you to everyone who has posted a review...... because of that, I had the wedding of my dreams and a trip I will NEVER forget! I hate to admit this, but I actually teared up when it came time to leave the resort! You become a part of the Ylang Ylang family when stay there, and it's very hard to grasp the fact that you have to leave and head back to reality!

I'll start with the staff. Absolutely amazing! Moraya was as helpful as someone could be when putting together my wedding! Moraya, Christian, Yerson, and Andrei just to name a few (who are now my Facebook friends of course! :) were the definition of OUTSTANDING customer service! I think that fact that I teared up leaving says it all!

My wedding........elegant and beautiful. Out of a fairy tale. In the morning when I came down, I saw them BUILDING my wedding arch, and from there it only got better! The ceremony and reception were picturesque! The experience of staying in a bungalow on the beach, having a resort full of staff like no other, and just the town of Montezuma and Costa Rica itself, noting like it! We were lucky enough to have 35 of our friends and family there with us!

HIGHLY recommend this resort to anyone planning to stay in the area! My husband and I plan on going back with some friends next year, and cannot wait!!!

A big thanks to Moraya and family for an amazing adventure! Xo!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Waverly, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

We loved Ylang Ylang-it's beautiful setting and good food but it's not easy to get to.

Room Tip: Some of the buildings are funky and fun!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

We stayed 3 short nights at Ylang Ylang Beach Resort and would return in a heartbeat.

We travelled in that day from La Fortuna and arrived in the picturesque village of Monetezuma by taxi who dropped us off at El Sano Banano (Ylang Ylang's sister hotel/restaurant). We were warmly greeted and given the option to have a spot of lunch or take our transfer down the beach straight away.

We opted for lunch - definitely the right choice!!

We were then taken by Land Rover to Ylang Ylang. The drive takes about 5 minutes and is mostly on dirt road and a little bit on the beach. When we arrived, our bags were taken care of and we were shown to reception where we were very warmly welcomed and had a fruit cocktail waiting for us :)

The reception staff were helpful from start to finish and couldn't do enough to make our stay thoroughly enjoyable.

We stayed in a beach-front dome which was totally unique and wonderful!! Each have an outside shower, air conditioning, fridge, coffee facilities, a great bathroom and lovely balcony with it's breathtaking view.

The dome was impeccably clean and well appointed. We loved the attention to detail with the towel sculptures adorned with fresh flowers. Our dome was called Iguana and was painted with a vibrant, lovely mural of an iguana and flowers inside.

Every day when we came back there was different towel sculpture waiting for us, even one incorporating my partner's glasses, which made us giggle!

Contrary to other reviewers, we really didn't experience any problem with bugs. Even if we had, the jungle is on your doorstep, so a few bugs are part and parcel of the experience.

The food here is outstanding! Both breakfast and dinner were included in our room rate. Me being vegan and my partner vegetarian, we were well accommodated!! The menu is large, diverse and well thought-out. From teryaki tofu to latino nachos and Gallo Pinto, the whole culinary experience was fantastic.

The setting is divine, located yards from the beach, surrounded by palms, listening to the roar of the Pacific Ocean. The sympathetic landscaping and attention to detail of Ylang Ylang make walking around the resort just as lovely. In all our time in Costa Rica, we saw the most wildlife here at Ylang Ylang, which is testament to how well the resort blends in and complements its surroundings.

We took advantage the the great Happy Hour every evening 3-6pm. On a couple of occasions we sipped our cocktails by the pool and had the pleasure of watching the monkeys dance around in the trees above.

The location is paradise - nestled at the end of a long, quiet beach with the village of Montezuma just a 10-15 minute walk away. The beach is a little rocky in places (be careful when paddling/swimming) but over all lovely and sandy. There is a really great surfing / boogie boarding beach just a 20-30min hike further down the beach. If you want to head into the village at night, a torch (flash-light) is recommended.

We were both very sad to leave Ylang Ylang and would stay here again without a shadow of a doubt. We made so many memories here and we are so grateful to the staff and owners of the resort for making our time on the Nicoya Peninsula so memorable and enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ylang Ylang Beach Resort? Share your experiences!