“Great stay in Montezuma!” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Luz de Mono
Behind the Church, Montezuma 000123, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #5 of 19 hotels in Montezuma
Toronto, ON
“Great stay in Montezuma!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights near the beginning of April!

The hotel was in a great location, less than a two minute walk to town and to the beach. And most of those two minutes is spent in the beautiful gardens at the hotel!

We saw all kinds of tropical flowers and plants and wildlife including monkeys while walking through their grounds!

There is no a/c the rooms we found that at night between the breeze and the huge fan in the room that this was not an issue.

The breakfast was good for what it was (toast, pancakes, yogurt, etc.) And the breakfast lounge and pool both had great views of the ocean!

We arrived late and went with the first hotel that had vacancy and seemed clean so I couldn't really compare to other hotels in the area but I would definitely stay again just to walk through their gardens!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

163 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
New Rochelle, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

We adored Luz de Mono... We were completely spoiled by the best hostess EVER! Lora catered to all of our needs with such kindness. Our room was cozy and bright. The pool quiet and perfect. Mangoes ready for the grab. Little monkeys all around. Iguanas, lezards and geckos chillin. Colorful butterflies & dragonflies. Delicious breakfast served by our sweet waitress every morning. The sound of the ocean taking you to sleep. The sound of the black monkeys as your alarm clock. LIFE WAS SWEET ♥

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
philmont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is maintained wonderfully. The rooms are clean. We stayed in a casita which was perfect for the four of us. The thing that made it the best was Laura the receptionist. She was absolutely magnificent. Anything that you needed or had a question on she helped immediately. The pool is overlooking the ocean. By far the best hotel experience I have had in Costa Rica. I will most definitely stay here again the next time I'm in Montezuma.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Oakdale, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I stayed for three nights at the Luz de Mono in February after spending a week in San Jose. Montezuma is a pretty out of the way place and caters to hippies (some from the 60's and some newer converts) and eco-lifestyle travelers. I was with three girlfriends and we're all in our 50's and 60's but still like to have adventures and active vacations. The public bus to Montezuma was crowded and we had to make a transfer in Cobano. The bus often drives with the doors open for the breeze since there's no A/C. The bus stop is in the "center of town" and is a dirt lot with a bench. It's a couple of blocks to the hotel but there isn't any sidewalk or paved path through the park. Really tough to carry/roll suitcases. On the way back I paid a kid to carry my suitcases the two blocks-totally worth the $5!

The hotel is almost lost in the forest and hard to see from the road. No paved paths just meandering gravel paths. The hotel is only a block or so from "downtown" and I felt safe walking there even in the evening. The lady running the place is very nice and speaks English. The workers speak some English and are very pleasant.

The rooms are sparse but clean. The beds were fine but that may be due to being so tired from all the hiking and swimming and diving. The bedding was clean but getting a little threadbare but I had no complaints. Now that I think of it the twin bed in our room was just a mattress over slats in the bed frame. My roommate and I shared the queen bed rather than sleep on it.

The bathroom was large and functional. Enough water pressure and it was fairly hot. The blue toilet and sink remind me of the '70's-like I said it was a hippie paradise.

There is no glass in the windows to let the breeze come through, and no A/C. The sound of the ocean was soothing until the tide came in then it sounded like a storm. Surprisingly no bugs, not even mosquitoes although it was the dry season. There is a ceiling fan but I'm glad I brought a small fan for the nights are very warm.

The breakfasts were good though fairly simple. Your choice of eggs (I had scrambled with potatoes and herbs), pancakes (taste like they have corn meal in them-yum ( I don't remember if they had maple syrup-I use butter), yogurt and fruit (also very good). I ate the rib dinner at the BBQ on Friday and it was very good. I'm sure there was cosados with all the meals. The servers learned what I wanted and were quick to bring breakfast. I don't know if they serve other meals since we ate in town. The best part may have been the blue bird, iguanas and the monkeys in the rafters. Not too many places you can eat and watch wildlife in their natural habitat.

My friends and I went to the dining room every night and watched TV and played cards. We were usually the only ones there. Unfortunately there was no soda machine but I was able to buy a coke in a bottle-like I said it was the 70's all over.

All in all I'm glad we stayed there but am getting a little too old to be roughing it so much. Younger travelers may really enjoy the close proximity to the beach and the downtown. I think there was wi-fi in the room and a flat screen TV but most channels were in Spanish.

The beach is a 5 min walk though town and it is very relaxing. The school is located between the hotel and the beach though school was out so we didn't see kids. The path to Montezuma Falls are a 10 minute walk across town. I went diving on Isla Tortuga and it was a 1/2 hour, calm boat ride to a great beach. The food in town is great, even though the restaurants looks shabby from the outside.

I really did have a nice stay but don't expect american style amenities. This is for travelers who want to see how Ticos live but still have some of the conveniences.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms face the hillside and the lower ones face the beach. Upstairs no one could look in y...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

We stayed at Luz de Mono for 3 days initially and increased our stay by an extra night. The room was a good size with high ceilings and clean (may need a touch of paint in the next year). The owners and staff were very helpful and friendly and this makes for a very relaxed atmosphere. The pool is lovely overlooking the sea and the garden area is full of wild life (the pictures do not do it justice!!). The location couldn't be better at the end of the main street (and any noise) and it is the closest hotel to the beach. Would definitely stay again if we went back to Montezuma. Thanks to all the staff.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Regina, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

We spent two nights at hotel Luz de Mono. We stayed in the premium rooms (which had not air but TV).

The room was very large and was clean. I would agree with other posters that they could use new pillows, sheets and towels. Things are getting a little thread barren. Wi-Fi in the room was excellent. They also had a small fridge which was great for storing cold drinks.

There was no air in the room (which is fine by me as we generally turn it off anyway) but had a large ceiling fan. It cooled off more than I expected to at night so we were very comfortable and I loved waking up to the sounds of the ocean and jungle.

The was a decent variety to choose from for breakfast and it was pretty good. On day one we had birds as dining companions and on day two, monkeys!

The hotel pool is very nice.

The key to this place is location. It is right across from the beach and at the end of the main road in town. Just far enough to be away from the noise!

Montezuma beach was spectacular! The ocean must of been 85 degrees and there was hardly a soul on the beach. The beach is different than places like the Caribbean. The sand is black but super soft. The water "looks" different because of the silt that gets turned up from the waves breaking. However, once you got over the difference in how it looked, it was amazing. Warm, warm water, NO seaweed, no rocks (other than the obvious large ones) and you could walk right in. No water shoes needed!

We thoroughly enjoyed our time in Montezuma and Hotel Luz de Mono was the best location we could of picked!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Ideally located 5 min from the beach. The room do not have windows so you will hear the waves sound. The breakfast is ok, staff is very friendly and helful. Wifi available in the room
Nice swimming pool.
Birds watching.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Luz de Mono? Share your experiences!