“Average - basic accommodations in Montezuma” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Luz de Mono
Behind the Church, Montezuma 000123, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #5 of 19 hotels in Montezuma
on the road
“Average - basic accommodations in Montezuma”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Let me start by saying I was not disappointed by Luz de Mono. I knew what I was getting into. I was traveling with vouchers from a travel agency that I could use at a number of properties in Costa Rica. There were only a couple options for me in Montezuma and Luz de Mono was the best choice, primarily due to location. I made advance reservations for 2 nights, so there should have been no questions about the how long my stay would be.

I'm writing this review to provide some balance to other reviews that paint what I feel is an overly-rosy picture of this property. I know accommodations in Montezuma are more basic in general, and Luz de Mono is typical of these. Other than it's location and the wildlife on the grounds, it's nothing special. It's far from the luxury property some reviewers portray. I'm not making complaints, and don't expect or desire a response from the management. I'm making accurate statements of what I experienced.

I experienced a spartan room with torn bedding, a ceiling fan that was noisy and wobbled so badly I thought it may come down, a refrigerator that was noisy and never got cool in 2 days. The shower walls were stained and doors coated with scum. The pool water was cloudy and not inviting (I understand this was a situation they were aware of, but I was not made aware of it during my stay.) The standard rooms do not have satellite TV as their website suggests. I was issued one towel and small bar of soap upon check in at reception and a second towel was provided the next day.

Breakfast was basic fare with no effort towards presentation. I saw no one eating in the restaurant or in the garden for dinner. I took that as a hint and found nice restaurants in town.

The location is great, close to the beach and town. The wildlife on the grounds is a real treat.

I found other hotels nearby that offered better value for the money. Next time I'm in Montezuma I will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
AROLB, Gerente at Hotel Luz de Mono, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for writing again!
When you left the hotel you wrote a review immediately about our hotel and service. We as a manager team reply and explain our view and we give you our apologize. What was our surprise that your review disappeared after that. And now I realize that you just took off your rewrite responding to my letter. I think Tripadvisor is all about being honest with the hotel and with the people reading and just expressing your opinion of the hotel and it is not in rewriting your opinion in respond to our letter.
Now you say that you do not desire any response.
Thank you very much for the understanding but we need to reply again!
First of all as many of our tripadvisor critics shows that our hotel is rustic. When you arrive you have been shown an upgraded room with Satellite TV but you wanted to stay in a standard room that corresponded to your voucher. Probably your agency already explain to you that for 55$ that the agency pays to us you get a standard room. Thank you that you consider our hotel the best option in Montezuma that your agency gives to you.
You made a reservation for 2 days but when you check in you did not gives the 2 voucher straight away, you only give us 1 voucher this is probably you wanted to see how are you going to feel. On the morning you did not complain or wanted a change of room because of the dangerous ventilator and the torn sheets. Still you said nothing and gave us a second voucher for the second night and slept again with the "danger ventilator" and the "torn sheets". Why? We still try to understand? We spoke with your agency, you did not say a word to them either. Normally you have to inform your agency that you did not like any of the accommodation they provide but we assume is much important for you first to voice your review than anything else.
I believe that Spartans would have been very happy if they have had a solid concrete rooms, with comfortable beds, private bathroom and a hot shower, fresh towel and a soap. Normally we are nature concerned hotel so we provide towel for each person one for outside and one for the room. We are concerned how much water we waste in washing.
Thank you very much for expressing your opinion for our restaurant but still we do not understand how you can express your opinion of a restaurant that you have not even seen the menu. But we are glad that you found the right restaurant for you!
We are sorry that you found our wildlife a treat. Sorry but we can not control our wild animals. Most of the people are very happy to see the monkeys meanwhile enjoying the pool. Sorry we did not inform you for the inconvenience of the pool, we apologize for that, it was our mistake.
We have one high percentage of walk-in visitors who can see first the room, our pool and after that decide and stay. Normally we charge only 1 night of each reservation because if the people are not happy to stay a second night we prefer that they look for a place that will make them happier without any penalty charges.
We do hope that next time you come to our village you find the right place for you so you will enjoy Montezuma at the most.
As I mention in my previous letter to you, the team of Luz de mono consider our place unique with so much wild animals and tropical garden we will continue doing our best to make people happy on their vacations. We know by experience that we will never be liked by everyone but we will never give up trying.
We will check all the mention negative points and we will try to improve if something is needed. Thank you for your review again we know that in any place there are points to improve and this is our goal daily.

Lora Boyanova

159 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

For us this place represented the best value in Montezuma. Things are expensive here so 80$ was great for the enormous charming suite we got. They also have smaller rooms for 60$ and houses for under $100. The staff were also very friendly and helpful. It's 1 minute walk from the best beach in town but the best feature by far is that it's located on the grounds of what I can only describe as an enchanted forest. On a daily basis we saw howler and capuchin monkeys, coati, agouti, racoons, iguanas, exotic squirrels and bats. Almost all the animals we saw in Corcovado but in complete comfort. Really it's like living in a 4 star national park. If you like wild live this is the place

• Stayed March 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Yes, definitely go there! Even if you think of spending a bit less, it's worth not saving on this place. In the end, the price is okay anyway. You get a really nice and spacious room in the middle of the "jungle" one minute from a nice beach with big waves. Very clean rooms, very nice place, helpful staff and a pool with a slight view on the ocean. Waking up and going to sleep with sounds of the ocean, monkeys and exotic birds. Iguana lizards everywhere - but don't be scared, they're scared of you more! :)
This was the best place we stayed in Costa Rica over our two-weeks holiday.
p.s. have pancakes for breakfast - they're delicious!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

If you want to stay in a jungle surrounded by cappuchin monkeys, howler monkeys, iguanas, squirrels, birds and the sort and want a private cabin and not some fancy resort, than this is the place for you. We ended up staying at the cabin at the top of the hill. It had a little slice of ocean view and it had a huge open deck with a jacuzzi outside (although it was very slow to fill). You are surrounded by trees and cannot see another cabin and you feel like you are staying in a private lush jungle. The room was just right, no A/C but there was no need. It was great to have the screened windows wide open with the ceiling fans that allowed you to feel more cozy in the woods. It was valentines day and was very romantic. You can hear the waves crashing at night and it was fabulous. Breakfast was delicious although the portions were small. The price was more than we wanted to pay.
It is a very short walk to get to montezuma beach and since it is 200 meters from the main strip in Montezuma it tends to be quieter.
The down side was walking up the stairs to get to the upper cabins but it was well worth it.

Room Tip: The cabin with the jacuzzi was the best layout with the best view. I think that it was number 5.
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

It's a Jungle out there...
And the jungle was what made it special for us. The land area that makes up the hotel environs are magnificent... beautiful gardens and canopied rain forest full of interesting flora and fauna.. We rented a casita up the hill and felt like we were back to nature. Not fancy but the casita was comfortable and cool enough without A/C. Weird thing is we had no problems with mosquitoes (we were sure they would be a problem at night in a tropical forest...but no..didn't even need our DEET)
The staff...especially Laura and Rocio were great. Super friendly, helpful and lovely.
We ended up staying 11 nights and enjoyed it immensely. My wife was so excited she was out in our hammock with her camera at dawn every morning...with the Howler monkeys and White-face Capuchins etc all around. It has a very nice pool and is right by the beach too. Great place!

Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We paid $66 US for a room. The location near the beach and another traveler's recommendation sold us. The pool is a bonus. And at dusk, Capuchin monkeys come to play near the pool in the trees above. What's not to love? Breakfast is mediocre and basic, but the coffee is good. Watch out for the birds that occasionally dive bomb you to chase you away from your food so they can steal it.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Montezuma has plenty of places to stay but this place was a hidden paradise. The rate was 55 per night with breakfast included(great food). The pool area was so secluded and peaceful. I could have stay there for a week.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Luz de Mono? Share your experiences!