“Hotel Luz de Mono” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Hotel Luz de Mono”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stayed in castias 2, it was paradise, we were surrounded by rainforest with a sea view, we saw lots of birds and little animals like a racoon, monkeys, lots of iguanas, geckos and an armadillo !, At night we sat in the jacuzzi surrounded by glow worms and we watched the night sky light up with pink lightning, the grounds were amazing and the pool was fab. The staff were so friendly and sweet. Happy days !

Room Tip: Casita No 2 was the best
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Montclair, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in January, 2012 with our two daughters (6 & 8). I found the location to be great. We had easy access to everything in Montezuma. We stayed in one of the casitas up the hill. It felt really quiet and secluded. The deck and hot tub were really nice, as was the hotel pool. The only reason that I didn't give it five stars was that the kitchen and bathroom of the casita could have really used updating. Overall, I would stay here again though.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Raleigh, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Made a last minute reservation at this hotel and it turned out very good overall. Like the previous reviewer no a\c but it was not that big a deal, in my opinion. Everything in CR, at the beach, is open air. You'll get acclimated to the heat. We paid $60 a nite and this included taxes and a very good basic breakfast each morning. $240 for a 4 night stay? I'd do it again for that price for sure. Nice pool and stunning grounds and wildlife. 200 yards to the beach. Room was clean and basic, daily maid service also.

Flew in on Sansa from SJO to Tambor airport. Hotel arranged cab p\u at airport. $35 one way, a\c taxi. He was there when we landed. 1/2 hr ride to Montezuma from Tambor.

Hotel in great location, adjacent to town and beach so you could walk to everything.
Can't say enough about Rocio and Lora at hotel reception. Very helpful, professional and were truly sincere in making our stay as pleasant as possible. Laundry service available (cheap!) and any time we used free wifi at reception area they always offered to bring a juice or coffee.

canopy Tour (ziplining): 5 minutes away for $40 included transportation. Canopy tour involved some pretty intense climbing of steps to get to next platform.

Horseback Riding (200 yard walk from hotel): I think we paid $35 each for that was fun, too. You go about 4-5 miles one way on the beach, mostly, and come to a beautiful waterfall that flows out to the ocean. Nice, non-english speaking guide. When you get to the waterfall he slices up a pineapple for you to eat while you rest. There was some rock climbing to get up to the waterfall so beware.

Note: This was my second time in CR and I've been on 5 tours. 3 of them included some intense climbing\walking. If you have bad knees, bad back or are recovering from injury you may want to think twice about some of these. At least mention it to the tour before signing up. Canopy tour and horseback riding sound reasonably passive but the two I mentioned above gave me a workout. That combined with the heat was all I could handle. I'm also 55 yrs old but had a great time anyway but I thought it worth mentioning for anyone on their 1st venture here.

Montezuma was cool. Quiet and laid back. Excellent prices for food, also. Dinner around $10-12 US. (Grilled fish, shrimp, chicken w\ rice and beans, salad...) We also ate at a "higher end" place called Playa de los Artistas. Great location about a five minute walk from town on the beach. Had the 1/2 grilled lobster for about $20 bucks. Very nice place and highly recommended. Make reservations, though.

Not a big town with a few shops and restaurants, one atm machine. Also has a good supermarket that came in handy. No bank or pharmacy here, though, just an fyi...
Got a 90 minute massage next to El Jardin for $65. See Diane for massage and she also does the yoga in town, too.

Note: Pack light and carry on. Montezuma is very casual. Shorts, tshirt, bathing suits. You won't need anything else in way of clothing. I had laundry done halfway thru and it cost $3 dollars, I think. That also leaves room in suitcase for small gifts to bring back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

The hotel is beautiful, and the grounds are incredible. It is in the rainforest, backed up to a beach, which made it all worth it. There were monkeys and all kinds of animals on the grounds, which was a lot of fun until the howler monkeys wanted to mark their territory at 3 am.

The only downsides to this hotel was that there was no air conditioner. It's an Eco lodge, so there's very little hot water as well. I would much rather give up the tv than the air conditioner, but it actually didn't end up being as miserable as I thought it would. There is a fan, but it doesn't make much of a difference. The hotel is enclosed by screens, not windows, so you can hear everything and it's incredibly humid.

The pool is wonderful, and montezuma itself is an awesome place. Overall, it was a nice place to stay, and very much worth the price.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Sugar Lake, B.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

My husband and I (middle aged Canadian couple) recently stayed for 3 days at Hotel Luz de Mono in Monctezuma, Costa Rica. It was a very pleasant stay, set in a wonderful jungle garden setting, with a refreshing clean swimming pool. Howler monkeys and white-faced monkeys regularly travelled through, howling as they do, and tossing down mangos. A delicious breakfast was included in the $60 rate, and the staff was very pleasant (especially Rosio at the front desk!). The rooms are adequate, nothing overly fancy, but certainly adequate. There was plenty of hot water and pressure in the shower. There is a very comfortable lobby-bar area with free dependable Wifi. I think that Lonely Planet did a dis-service to this hotel in its write-up, because we certainly felt we had great value compared to other accommodations in town. PURA VIDA! :)

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms offer hammocks, while second story rooms offer TVs. We chose ground floor with h...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

Let me be quick and get to the point.... There are two people running this place, one is a woman from Hungary, she is very nice and was very helpful but she disappeared when we needed her the most.... the other one is a Local guy who could actually be her boyfriend he has NO manners is not useful AT ALL and probably has no EDUCATION either, oh yeah also a receptionist who seems to be sick and tired of customers....

We were given a room which it wasn't too bad... I mean no A/C mmm you might need it but anyways that was not the problem. The problem started after my wife went to take a shower and she found a bunch of spider nets in the shower and all over the wall in the toilet. As we do not like making a complaint we just closed our eyes and decided to let this matter pass.

My wife walked out of the shower, got dressed and then she wanted to lay down for a bit, at that point we were only there for 10 minutes max. As she lifted up the duvet we found 'crunched' bed sheets that seemed like it was used by prior customers who stayed in this room before we got there, for sure it was not changed after the prior customers left and for sure it was not washed for at least a week or so. We also found a lot of STAINS on the sheets, those we found very disgusting and for sure we did not let that one go by... so we went to the reception to talk to the nice Hungarian lady but unfortunately she was not there, we tried to explain to the receptionist what we saw...Like I've already mentioned above, we DO NOT like making complaints so we went to the reception and told her quietly so that we don't make a fuss or let other customers hear negative comments about the hotel. We asked her quietly if it was possible for her to change the bed sheets. Within a second she became very defensive and acted like we were attacking her; I truly believe that her reaction was caused by a lot of unhappy prior customers, so she was sick and tired of the same complaints and all she could do was make excuses for the hotel, instead of trying to help her customers and settle the matter. She kept on telling us that she was going to give us another room, to what we answered; we do not want another room since any other room would have the same problem... Therefore we asked her to just change our bed linen to what she replied that she was not capable of, since she could not leave the reception alone, also she does not know how to change them.... Interesting enough the other person in charge the LOCAL guy was watching a Football game only steps away from the reception desk... anyway, she called him up and he came to the reception, as soon as we tried to explain what happened, he also became very defensive and offended, and talking all over us, didn't even give us a second to say anything. He also told us that we should not be telling him how to run HIS hotel, and that if we didn't want to move to another room he would just give us back the money.... At this point we had enough of this useless receptionist and such a bad mannered Local Manager.

At no point we were trying to get a refund from them, all we wanted was a clean bed sheet that we believe every single hotels must provide to their customers. I mean that's what we pay for to stay at hotels no? Also, how bad is the management there that they don't even have anyone who is capable of changing the bed sheets? I cannot criticize their management skills but it's just a basic knowledge that they should have. As we were only going to stay for a night, we did not mind the condition of the hotel at all, however, we DID mind their poor attitudes, no hotel management skills, no customer service. The hotel was not booked fully for that day, if I were them, I would have just given them the washed bed sheets and kept the money, not just giving and throwing away the money that they have just earned from a customer. For sure if this Hungarian lady have been there, she would have reacted in such a different way, because she seemed to be only one who cared about the business and every penny they make. Unfortunately the other TWO couldn't care any less.

P.s. I've loaded up the photos that shows the state of the bed, just the way we found it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Candiac, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

We spent 4 nights in Montezuma and we wew very happy to have found this place!

The rooms were nice, clean, bright, and airy. I very much liked the bathroom decor. The beds were also very comfortable.

The location was wonderful, so close to the beach but just far enough from the main intersection de be nice and quiet. And it's Montezuma so really, nothing in the town is far away.

Also, the staff was super sweet and put up with my horrid Spanish.

I would stay there again anytime!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Luz de Mono? Share your experiences!