“Stunning views from private balcony, attentive service” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Amor de Mar
Apartado 24 Cobano, Montezuma, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #4 of 19 hotels in Montezuma
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Stunning views from private balcony, attentive service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

I had a really hard time deciding where to stay in Montezuma. I am very glad we ended up at Amor de Mar for several reasons - the first being it's stunning waterfront, landscaped backyard with lots of hammocks, chairs, and an awesome natural tide pool between the rocks to swim in. My husband and I love natural pools, so we had no problem cannonballing in (it's quite deep and certainly wide enough.. not sure why people are saying it's small.. it is NOT small).

We stayed in room 5, which had an awesome private balcony and AC (Costa Rica can get humid). I would say it's worth the splurge for a second floor balcony room. Make sure you are cozy with your travel partners because the (very cute) bathroom has a curtain instead of a door. The only problem with the room - we could hear our neighbors talking, as if there were merely a curtain between us instead of a wall.

The hotel has an open air restaurant that is blended effortlessly into the design of the hotel. Lots of sea breezes, friendly dogs, fellow travelers lounging about - just a great vibe. One complaint - why don't they serve a free breakfast? I don't get it... but fortunately, Montezuma has plenty of yummy little cafes and restaurants a short stroll from the hotel. Oh, and this place is directly across the street from the waterfalls and a few houses down from the BEST restaurant in town - playa de las artistas (make a reservation and snag one of the tables w/ cushions right by the sand).

Carla was very helpful. We asked her about massages and isla tortuga trips and she had things booked very quickly. She booked a massuse to come to our room, but when the massuse arrived she said she was exhausted and asked if she could give us a shorter massage or reschedule... hmm. I would suggest booking your own massage at one of the local hotels (just walk around town and you will see signs). Also, if you ask about booking a trip to Isla Tortuga, I would recommend going with one of the tour operators that cooks you lunch right on the beach for $45. You might be offered a yacht charter trip for $60 (which we ended up doing) but go with a slightly larger boat that does the beach cookout. The 'yacht' was really small and not what we were expecting. When we got to Isla Tortuga we saw groups eating amazing oyster and fish dinners with beer, etc.. and our lunch was a bowl of luke warm arroz con pollo on the little boat. I might be sounding picky, but once you get there you'll see what I mean!

I would stay here again if we come back to Montezuma, but I'd book activities on my own. Also, there is a fridge in the room so you can bring your own drinks and lounge away on one of the hammocks or your deck. Enjoy!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

240 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

The romantic setting and view from this hotel are exceptional. The hotel is not plush; however, the grounds are exceptional. The rooms are airconditioned, clean and comfortable.

A must stay if you are going to Montezuma.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Salt Spring Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2010

This place has the most gorgeous grounds, with sweeping lawns down to the ocean, lots of hammocks and deck chairs, a tide pool, and a swimming hole in the adjacent river. However, it is very overpriced - $75 for a pokey little room at the back facing the noisy room, paper thin walls with zero noise insulation. Breakfast is not included. I would not go back, although the location and gardens had sucked us into a second visit, the first being 4 years ago. At that time the kitchen staff woke us up at 5 am talking loudly outside our room. The irony of this is that the hotel is situated away from the town centre, which should have made it a peaceful alternative to some of the livelier spots downtown.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

We stayed here for one night while traveling with friends. On the positive side, the hotel is away from the busy part of town which keeps the noise down. It had a nice view of the ocean, but the grounds were just average. I did not have any trouble sleeping due to noise. Although the place is located in a tourist town on the ocean, I would rate the price 'average to a little high' for the quality/cleanliness of the rooms. We paid US$60 for a small room off the main entrance and our friends paid US$90 for a ground floor room with a small porch. An average breakfast was included in the price. The room we had was quite dark with tired looking furnishings. I would not rate it "super clean" but it was ok for one night. The room also had quite a few mosquitos in it. Overall, it's not a bad place, but nothing about it would make me want to stay for more than 1 or 2 (maximum) nights.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

We reserved room #6 (I think) at Amor de Mar based on the Moon Handbook, the hotel's internet site, and Trip Advisor. I really didn't see a better place to stay in Montezuma. There is one very expensive place east of town, but that wasn't our style. We liked the setting and the grounds and our second story corner room, although the constant surf and river noise outside our screen windows was loud enough we used ear plugs on night two. I liked the dark hardwood decks and interior but the room had minimal lighting so it seemed dark, even during the day. There was a nice lobby area that could have been put to better use, perhaps an internet terminal for guests or at least a free cup of copy in the morning. There was really nothing to encourage the guests to linger and mingle. The staff pretty much kept to themselves so we had very little interaction other than checking in and out. Parking is tight for rental cars out front. It was a five minute walk to the middle of town around a few mud puddles. Bring a flashlight . I would have no problem staying here again, but if I return to Montezuma I may try someplace else.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

Really liked this place.Rooms spacious and clean.Breakfast not included.Near town and waterfalls

Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2009

We stayed one night in this hotel and were given a room just by teh entrance. We could hear some traffic noise all night and had to keep all the curtains shut otherwise people could see inside. Breakfast is not included and you have to buy individual items $1 coffee $3 juice etc ...at the end you spend $10 for breakfast!
You cant really swim in the tide pools by the hotel, as advertised. When the tide is low, the rocks and the pools are full of litter, forget it! For $75 a night it is not good enough.
There are some other hotels which are much better value for money!
Montezuma is a nice place but I noticed so much litter every where, when the rest of CR is fairly clean...It is also full of foreigners so forget the real tico experience. I also got my bag stolen inside the Internet Cafe,..not nice.
Otherwise past Montezuma there are some wonderful beaches and a trip to Isla Tortuga is well worth it.

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Amor de Mar? Share your experiences!