“Loved it!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
jenann828
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

My fiance and I will definitely be returning to this hotel. We stayed in the Casa Sol house, which was worth every penny. Beautiful ocean view from the bedroom and balcony. Very spacious and private. The breakfast at the restaurant was very good and it was a nice 10 minute walk to town.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

We came here after staying one night at Los Mangos and hating it (see review there). We stayed the first night in room #3 and the second night in room #4. I would say hands down room #3 was better. I wouldn't recommend #4, only because it was much smaller and the bathroom was tiny. Both rooms were very clean, and room #3 bed was so comfortable. Don't let the front of the building fool you, this is a beautiful place, just walk to the back and see. They have a beautiful garden, lots of hammocks, a/c, a tidal pool (which is pretty cool, just watch out for the crabs). The service was pretty good, and the woman was nice enough to show us a bunch of rooms before we decided on #3. The breakfast crepes were really good (although not included and kinda pricey). Also they do a cash discount, so make sure you stop by the ATM before paying. There is one in town now.

If this place is booked, take a look at El Jardin. We thought about staying there too but we liked how this was out of town a bit. But it looked nice and the rooms looked nice. Just a matter of where you want to stay.

Make sure in Montezuma you hike the waterfalls. Also eat at Ylang Ylang. You have to walk on the beach 10 min to get there, but it's beautiful. A bit pricier but the food is worth it!

Also, it has only minimal parking, but you can park on the road right out front and it's just fine. Just don't leave anything in your car and you'll be okay.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2009

GF and I stayed here 2/6 & 2/7. Booked in advance based on reviews here and their website. Place has a laid back feel to it, in fact too laid back for a hotel. The staff was neither particularly friendly or helpful, but they weren't rude by any means. We stayed in room 3 which has a view of the street. Very tight quarters, more of what I'd expect of a $30-40 dollar room in CR. The shower was scary looking with electircal wires hanging out the top (I presume that this shower head is supposed to heat the water?), I'm sure it's typically of Latin American, but it made me nervous. Not that we had any warm water anyway (the temperature "as is" was fine for me, but women would not like it). Safety box didn't work, which was one of the main reasons we booked the place (GF carried a lot of expensive camera lenses, etc, which she planned to lock up when not in use). One positive was the A/C worked very well. They only serve B-fast and it is good, but expensive relative to the location. The front lawn on the ocean is the selling point. Nice place to watch sunsunrises. The beach is unswimmable, and the "tidal" pool is surrounded by rocks that are uncondusive to swimming/lounging. You couldn't buy a beer at the hotel which was my personal pet peeve mainly. There is no parking, you have to park in the street which makes you nervous around here. They did have a security guy hang out all night in front and keep an eye on the cars which made me feel better about the rental (we emptied it anyway, and carried all our valuables around (didn't leave them in room here when we weren't there). My review is overly nit-picky, if you read my previous reviews you'll see we stayed in $100+ places every preceding night, so this was a downgrade. Los Mangos was another nearby hotel (same price range) we nearly booked and it looked nicer in person (we wish we had booked there). I would never go back to Montezuma because it's not the scene I'm looking for, so take that into account in my review - I'd probably stay down the road in Cabuya for more privacy and enjoy the nature, and head to Montezuma just to eat at the Playas de la Artistas for dinner (fantastic!).

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2009

My husband and I ended up coming to Montezuma by ferry a day early, and our scheduled b&b was booked, so we drove down the hill to look for vacancies. Thankfully the Hotel Amor de Mar had one open room for one night. It was priced a little higher than the rest of our accommodations, but we were thankful we had a place to stay. The guy working, possibly the owner, was very friendly. Our room was nice - beautiful trees outside the room, great a/c, a safe, and a roomy bathroom (can't flush toilet paper though, as you'll find at lots of establishments throughout Costa Rica). No tv in the room, which I thought was a little odd - but I think you're not supposed to be cooped up in your room in Montezuma, right? I think their restaurant only served breakfast, and I don't think it was included with stay - since it was last minute I didn't check those details. The hotel was just a few minutes walk from the great town, waterfalls, and also had an excellent view. It was right on the water and had hammocks and seats out back.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — it was a little pricey
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chilly Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2008

Amor de mar is in an excellent location in little montezuma. Not too far of a walk yet a ways out of the downtown and with a very lovely oceanfront view. Sunrises over the lawn were special and the grounds are very relaxing and pretty. For the price ;the rooms were small but adequate, dark but decently lit, the AC was welcome and the showers were hot. The breakfasts were delightful but the dollar coffee rankled a bit! Come on! a dollar for coffee?? The waitress was very pleasant as was the repairman and the manager was accomodating and friendly, if a bit distracted. We certainly enjoyed our stay in Montezuma and Amor do Mar is recomended as a decent base lodge.

• Liked — breakfasts and views, cool towel animals!
  • Disliked — a bit impersonal
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

My wife and I travelled to Montezuma for our anniversary and stayed in Amor de Mar. We had the best time in this hotel and in this town. Montezuma is a cute town with several good restaurants (Playa de los Artistas, Sano Banano), wonderful things to do (horseback riding tour, beach bumming, ATV touring), and Amor de Mar is the perfect complement.

Amor de Mar has a beautiful property practically on the ocean. The property is lush, with relaxing hammocks everywhere. The tide pools are relaxing and refreshing. You're located about a 1 km walk from the town of Montezuma. The Montezuma waterfalls are within 75 yards of the front of the hotel. Breakfast, though not free, is very good; the hotel staff is attentive and ready to give you excellent advice.

There are cheaper non-A/C rooms but I don't recommend them; they are small and on the second floor, which makes no sense since heat rises. If staying here, get the A/C room; it's worth it. We had a private veranda and the beds were comfortable. Another reviewer alluded to the rooms not being clean which was not the case with us at all. The rooms were mopped and cleaned every day.

We can't wait to come back to Montezuma and stay in Amor de Mar again. Just look at the pics; they'll take your breath away.

P.S.
Best beach in area: Playa Las Manchas (1 km north of Amor de Mar; walking distance).

Best (and only) night spot: Chico's

• Liked — The hotel is wonderful in every way.
  • Disliked — Price is a bit high.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2008

We stayed in Montezuma for one night. The town was a really cute beach town, small and accessible. When we first arrived, the owner, who was very hospitable, told us to get our stuff out of the car quickly and into the rooms because "they empty cars fast here," i.e., there is a major problem with thieves in the area. She showed us to our room, which was on the first floor; and let us know all of the safety features of the room, such as locking the doors. She said "they had been in there and taken people's bags before." Wow, great start to the vacation! At least we were forewarned, but this made us uncomfortable to begin with. The room itself looked nothing like the "Casa de Luna" pictures that were posted. Our room was standard with a/c, but you got the impression that the rooms weren't cleaned very often, or very well (including sheets, pillows and comforter). The walls and floor looked tired and cracked. There were bugs sticking to the walls, and the room just felt very damp. I've actually stayed at Motel 8 before, and it was cleaner than this. We weren't happy about having to sleep in the bed, as soon as we saw the room, we just wanted our stay to be over. After travelling the entire day, we were so exhausted, so we tried to get some sleep in the air conditioned room. However, it sounded like people were dropping things and jumping on the floor from the room above us. We didn't exactly know what they were doing, but it sounded like they were running around, jumping off furniture, bouncing balls... it was so NOISY and DISTURBING. We could hear every little footstep in the hardwood floors above us, it was very unnerving and did nothing to help us relax. My husband at one point actually jumped out of his sleep because of some loud, echoing noises from above. We had to complain to the owner, and she said something to the people, but it only quieted them down temporarily. The positive things I can say about the place is it does have beautiful grounds, and a very nice owner. But the place itself, I would never stay there again. It is a bad memory, and I don't think I've felt so uncomfortable in many years. We couldn't wait to get out.

• Liked — Property Grounds
  • Disliked — Dirty and shoddy accomodations
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Amor de Mar? Share your experiences!