“A lovely hotel by the ocean” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Amor de Mar
Apartado 24 Cobano, Montezuma, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
Los Angeles, California
“A lovely hotel by the ocean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

My wife and I stayed in the Casa Sol for 3 nights of our honeymoon. No A/C—although it says on their website that all rooms have it—but they provided a couple of heavy duty fans that kept us cool (enough) at night. Other than that, the hotel is lovely: beautiful house, beautiful grounds, a very good restaurant (breakfast and lunch only), and an easy walk into the small town of Montezuma, which has a number of great places to eat. Our house had a full kitchen, so we were able to stock up on groceries at the market in town. And just across the road is the trailhead for the Montezuma Waterfalls trail: a short hike will deliver you to a beautiful waterfall/swimming hole, while a longer (and seemingly quite dangerous) climb will get you to two more falls (we stopped at the first).

Montezuma is a small but funky little town with some truly fine dining (and a few sodas as well). We particularly enjoyed meals at Organico and Playa de los Artistas. There are beaches up and down the main road through town, and a short (and not too expensive) taxi ride will get you to Cabo Blanco or other nearby attractions.

We would definitely return to Amor de Mar (although we might choose one of their regular rooms that have air conditioning), and to Montezuma.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

The property is really beautiful and well maintained. We stayed in on of the free standing private houses. The one withOUT air conditioning. Apparently the only room without air conditioning, which was a little bit disappointing since their website says "All rooms have air conditioning". Our vacation would have been perfect if there was air conditioning--it is VERY humid there.

Everybody who worked there was incredibly nice and accommodating. The restaurant was very good, though I got food poisoning my last meal there. Sort of my fault, since I got one of the fruit smoothies that has ice blended in--my doctor warned me to take precautions against traveler's diarrhea, but I got lax. So be careful to do what all travel sites tell you and don't drink the local tap water or ice. I had a really good salad there the day before with no issues, and my husband didn't have any problems with the food (though he got sick from a meal at the San Jose airport--also probably from the ice!).

You're very close to the town of montezuma, an amazing restaurant--Playa de los artistas, and a waterfall with a great swimming hole. If we went back to Montezuma, we would definitely stay here again.

Middletown, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Amor de Mar for 8 nights and loved it!

Our room was well appointed, and offered a private rooftop patio with extraordinary ocean views. The sheets were finest high thread Egyptian cotton, the bed and pillows super comfy. The room had a/c which was nice at night for cool comfort.

The lamps and overall decor throughout Amor de Mar are artworks in themselves.

The team was fantastic, and accommodated all our needs. The breakfasts are outstanding, and were cooked everyday to our wishes, Fresh fruit, eggs any way we liked it, wide selection of beverages.

They also offer a lunch menu which is healthy, delicious and affordable.

Overall, Amor de Mar is a special jewel in the treasure that is Montezuma! We'll definitely stay there again and highly recommend it!

Thanks, Ori, Corina & the Team

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

This was my second stay at Hotel Amor de Mar. My boyfriend and I stayed there two years ago and since then, I haven't been able to get it out of my head. Montezuma, itself, is a very special place to visit - it has a lot of heart, character, and spirit, while surrounded by the most beautiful beaches, waterfalls, animals, and forest. Hotel Amor de Mar captures that spirit down to every little detail, making its guests feel so connected to the town and its surrounding environments. The hotel overlooks the ocean and has a beautiful front yard space with hammocks and chairs that are perfect to spend time in at sunrise and sunset. Ammi, the owner, and all of her staff, are incredibly kind and warm and add to the serenity and comfort of the place. She recently redid some of the rooms and their bathrooms and they are absolutely beautiful. We stayed in Room #1 which had its own private balcony overlooking the bluff. If Montezuma wasn't such an amazing place, I could have sat on that balcony for my whole stay. The rooms are cozy and airy with big beautiful windows that slide open and allow you to hear the sound of the ocean and howler monkeys at dusk and dawn. The restaurant downstairs is so lovely and the food is so fresh and delicious and can be enjoyed at tables overlooking the ocean. This place is truly a dream, not just because of its aesthetics but also because of its heart. My boyfriend had left his wallet in a small market in town and only realized as we were boarding a boat that was taking off across the Gulf of Nicoya. The next day we got an email from Ammi, the hotel's owner, stating the kind people in the market were able to connect that we had been guests at the hotel and she offered to get the wallet to us as quickly as possible. This is what you get when you visit Montezuma and Hotel de Amor. People are so personable and kind and come from such a good place, making its visitors feel welcome and longing for a fast return visit. I can't wait to go back. -Amy and Anthony

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Healdsburg, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

My two friends and I stayed here for three nights in June (wet season).
Pros:
1. Beautiful grounds. The chairs on the lawn area in front of the ocean can be moved into the shade if necessary.
2. One of the ladies that worked there was really nice, and helped me get a tick off of my foot (remember to put bug spray on your feet).
Cons:
1. The maids left the windows open when they cleaned every day. A HUGE cockroach had come in the first day that we noticed before we went to bed. It hid behind the shelf so we couldn't get it. All night I imagined it crawling above my bed. The second day a whole bunch of mosquitoes came in from the open window and ate me alive while a slept. The third night, I felt a bug crawling on me in the middle of the night. Overall, out of the four different hotels we stayed at, this one definitely had the most bug issues.
2. Room 2 had a nice garden view but was so small for three people. Probably twice as small as our room in Monteverde.
3. No bathroom door. Pretty awkward for three friends.
4. No breakfast included, and to use a card at their restaurant, you have to spend at least $20, and they tack on an additional 13% fee. What??
Also...remember to bring cash into Montezuma. The only ATM ran out of cash, and one of the hotel attendants told me that the other nearest one was 7 kilometers away.

• Stayed June 2014
Santa cruz
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

This hotel is worth every penny. The rooms are comfortable and have air conditioning (which is such a blessing with the heat and humidity). It's right on the ocean and across the street from the entrance to the waterfalls.
Ammi and the other employees are so welcoming and helpful. We'll definitely be back.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Playa Potrero, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

Lovely hotel located in Montezuma right on the coast. A staff member, Ammi, was very prompt and helpful in making the reservations. The hotel approved my dog to stay in my room as well. I'm not sure if the hotel is always pet friendly but they seem to be willing to work with customers on a case by case basis.

The hotel was quaint and lovely. The room was somewhat small, but was appointed nicely with some artwork, rugs and bedding. The air conditioner worked great and the room was also equipped with a nice floor fan. The bathroom was a good size and had nice fixtures. The best part about the room was a semi-private patio area that had two comfy chairs that looked out to the greenery and the ocean.

The breakfast offered is a little pricey, but the food was great!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Amor de Mar? Share your experiences!