“A Magical Place to Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Amor de Mar
Apartado 24 Cobano, Montezuma, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
Middletown, California
“A Magical Place to Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Amor de Mar for 8 nights and loved it!

Our room was well appointed, and offered a private rooftop patio with extraordinary ocean views. The sheets were finest high thread Egyptian cotton, the bed and pillows super comfy. The room had a/c which was nice at night for cool comfort.

The lamps and overall decor throughout Amor de Mar are artworks in themselves.

The team was fantastic, and accommodated all our needs. The breakfasts are outstanding, and were cooked everyday to our wishes, Fresh fruit, eggs any way we liked it, wide selection of beverages.

They also offer a lunch menu which is healthy, delicious and affordable.

Overall, Amor de Mar is a special jewel in the treasure that is Montezuma! We'll definitely stay there again and highly recommend it!

Thanks, Ori, Corina & the Team

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

This was my second stay at Hotel Amor de Mar. My boyfriend and I stayed there two years ago and since then, I haven't been able to get it out of my head. Montezuma, itself, is a very special place to visit - it has a lot of heart, character, and spirit, while surrounded by the most beautiful beaches, waterfalls, animals, and forest. Hotel Amor de Mar captures that spirit down to every little detail, making its guests feel so connected to the town and its surrounding environments. The hotel overlooks the ocean and has a beautiful front yard space with hammocks and chairs that are perfect to spend time in at sunrise and sunset. Ammi, the owner, and all of her staff, are incredibly kind and warm and add to the serenity and comfort of the place. She recently redid some of the rooms and their bathrooms and they are absolutely beautiful. We stayed in Room #1 which had its own private balcony overlooking the bluff. If Montezuma wasn't such an amazing place, I could have sat on that balcony for my whole stay. The rooms are cozy and airy with big beautiful windows that slide open and allow you to hear the sound of the ocean and howler monkeys at dusk and dawn. The restaurant downstairs is so lovely and the food is so fresh and delicious and can be enjoyed at tables overlooking the ocean. This place is truly a dream, not just because of its aesthetics but also because of its heart. My boyfriend had left his wallet in a small market in town and only realized as we were boarding a boat that was taking off across the Gulf of Nicoya. The next day we got an email from Ammi, the hotel's owner, stating the kind people in the market were able to connect that we had been guests at the hotel and she offered to get the wallet to us as quickly as possible. This is what you get when you visit Montezuma and Hotel de Amor. People are so personable and kind and come from such a good place, making its visitors feel welcome and longing for a fast return visit. I can't wait to go back. -Amy and Anthony

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Healdsburg, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

My two friends and I stayed here for three nights in June (wet season).
Pros:
1. Beautiful grounds. The chairs on the lawn area in front of the ocean can be moved into the shade if necessary.
2. One of the ladies that worked there was really nice, and helped me get a tick off of my foot (remember to put bug spray on your feet).
Cons:
1. The maids left the windows open when they cleaned every day. A HUGE cockroach had come in the first day that we noticed before we went to bed. It hid behind the shelf so we couldn't get it. All night I imagined it crawling above my bed. The second day a whole bunch of mosquitoes came in from the open window and ate me alive while a slept. The third night, I felt a bug crawling on me in the middle of the night. Overall, out of the four different hotels we stayed at, this one definitely had the most bug issues.
2. Room 2 had a nice garden view but was so small for three people. Probably twice as small as our room in Monteverde.
3. No bathroom door. Pretty awkward for three friends.
4. No breakfast included, and to use a card at their restaurant, you have to spend at least $20, and they tack on an additional 13% fee. What??
Also...remember to bring cash into Montezuma. The only ATM ran out of cash, and one of the hotel attendants told me that the other nearest one was 7 kilometers away.

• Stayed June 2014
Santa cruz
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

This hotel is worth every penny. The rooms are comfortable and have air conditioning (which is such a blessing with the heat and humidity). It's right on the ocean and across the street from the entrance to the waterfalls.
Ammi and the other employees are so welcoming and helpful. We'll definitely be back.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Playa Potrero, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

Lovely hotel located in Montezuma right on the coast. A staff member, Ammi, was very prompt and helpful in making the reservations. The hotel approved my dog to stay in my room as well. I'm not sure if the hotel is always pet friendly but they seem to be willing to work with customers on a case by case basis.

The hotel was quaint and lovely. The room was somewhat small, but was appointed nicely with some artwork, rugs and bedding. The air conditioner worked great and the room was also equipped with a nice floor fan. The bathroom was a good size and had nice fixtures. The best part about the room was a semi-private patio area that had two comfy chairs that looked out to the greenery and the ocean.

The breakfast offered is a little pricey, but the food was great!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

I fell in love with and at Hotel Amor de Mar. The hammocks, the beach, the brunch - it was simple yet lovely and soo relaxing. There's an outdoor yoga studio down the street that I highly recommend! I've chatted about this hotel with people in America who have stayed there as well - we all have nothing but great things to say. Highly recommend!!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Coming into Montezuma knowing that it's an artsy, picturesque, sleepy Costa Rican getaway, my girlfriend and I found Amor Del Mar on Tripadvisor and had to give it a shot. We took the $40 boat ride from Jaco to Montezuma on a days notice. Ammi, who works at the front desk, called me in the morning and immediately let me know that there were rooms available that day.

As we entered the hotel, which is a 5 minute walk from drop off and downtown, we were greeted by Ammi, who is incredibly sweet and speaks English. She showed us two rooms, both were beautiful, but we chose the secluded room with a private balcony, which has two chairs and a hammock that overlooks a river that leads to the ocean. All of the rooms are clean, beautiful and comfortable. The ambiance is inviting and relaxing.

The hotel is conveniently located across the street from a hike toward the waterfalls, which is a must do in Montezuma. It has to be mentioned, after we left the waterfall hike, we bought a coconut from a friendly man who cracked it open and sent us on our way with a free mango.

As I'm writing this, it is hard to put into words how alive you feel while staying at Amor Del Mar. There is a natural tide pool in front of the hotel. This is an area of the ocean, which is barricaded by rocks. The tide comes in and fills this secluded area for your own enjoyment. It is private and when you are finished, you can shower outside in the hand carved mango tree.

If you do not stay here, at least visit for breakfast. I have never had such a delicious breakfast. The homemade bread toasted with fresh marmalade is my favorite. So simple but so wonderful.

I mentioned Ammi earlier, but I also love Eugenia. They are knowledgeable, trustworthy and make you feel at home in Montezuma. Also, the security guard who is always available throughout the night is kind and makes you feel safe if you didn't already.

FYI YOU SHOULD RENT AN ATV FROM PETER. He is a pleasure to do business with and will set you up with a great adventure around the peninsula.

We will be back, wish we could keep this place a secret but it is too good to be true.

Many Thanks,
Adam & Eryka

Room Tip: The closer you are toward the restaurant is the way to get more efficient wifi