“A beautiful hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Apartado 24 Cobano, Montezuma, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
“A beautiful hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Amor de Mar is an excellent hotel in Montezuma. The location is amazing, and the hotel grounds are impeccable. Every morning, we sat on the patio and ate breakfast as we watched the ocean waves. This was such a peaceful and relaxing place to stay. All of the workers at the hotel were very helpful. I was surprised by how nicely the room was decorated, and the woodwork throughout the hotel. The only warning I have is for visitors to be careful when visiting the Montezuma waterfall during the rainy season. We visited last week, in late June and got caught in a flash flood. It was terrifying, so be careful if you plan to visit the waterfall.

Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We were travelling a couple of friends and were actually supposed to be on a budget backpacking trip. When we stumbled upon this hotel somewhere online we decided to spend a little extra money than planned to treat ourselves (even though I know it's still a fairly cheap place to stay).

The room was spotless and the green hotel grounds were very beautiful and idyllic. Lots of hammocks and lying chairs for relaxing. The place has no pool but the small tidal pool was way cooler and there's also a small river kind of pool next to the hotel.

The staff was incredibly nice. Ami was great and very helpful in recovering our bags which Delta Airlines lost. She made sure they were sent to our next location on our trip.
The night watch (I forgot his name) was the best! Even though he didn't speak any English and my Spanish is pretty poor, we had some nice conversations about Elton John and other music when he wasn't doing his rounds :) He just seemed like such a nice guy.

Small tip: Don't try to hike both waterfalls in flip flops, if you take the long way to the top one... :) Wear shoes!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We intended to stay for 2 nights and ended up staying 4 - this is how much we loved the place. Charming interiour, great ocean views from the upper rooms, a private little balcony, comfy hammocks in the beautiful garden, and the best breakfast we had on our trip all made us wanting to stay forever. This is definitely a little oasis worth recommending!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Amazing!! We rented the house Luna Casa and wished we never had to leave! The staff are so helpful and friendly. The views can't be beat. The food is top notch. My boys loved the tide pool. I loved the hammocks! We seen monkeys across the street. When we checked out my boys left their ukulele in their room. When we reached our next destination I wasn't in the room 5 minutes when I received a call saying they had found it and we're sending it on a shuttle to us. The next day when we checked in to another hotel the ukulele was at the front desk, no extra charge. Talk about great service! We love you Amor de Mar!!

• Stayed May 2013
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I returned to Costa Rica but traveled on the Caribbean Coast - though it was nice, we eventually decided to return to Montezuma because the town meant so much to us. We ended up staying at Amor de Mar, and the owner knew we were students so she was willing to deduct taxes if we paid in cash.

Everything at the hotel was immaculate. The lighting was perfect, the hammocks were perfect, and coffee was perfect, and the people were genuine and kind. The best part about this hotel is the scenery. The coastline in Montezuma is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen in my life. There are rock formations on the coast that end up making their own little pools. That way, if you're not comfortable swimming in the waves, you can still swim in the ocean water while looking at the gorgeous beaches. It was a remarkable experience, and because of the price point, I would recommend this place for anyone - from students to wealthier couples. Absolute paradise, and we WILL be returning when we go back to Montezuma.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Huntington, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I back packed through Costa Rica for 2 weeks and stayed at hostels for the most part. Half way through the trip I needed to splurge and find myself a nice relaxing place to stay, I couldn't have picked a more beautiful place. There are hammocks for lounging under huge mango trees and lawn chairs to lay out on right where the ocean meets the grass of a gorgeous manicured lawn. Not to mention humming birds and an iguana! This hotel was perfect, clean and comfortable. I was there during the low season so the place was pretty quiet but I did not mind at all because I basically had the place to myself! The walk into the main town was about 8-10 minutes but the views along the way are absolute perfection. This hotel is also located right across the street from the waterfall which is a must see while you are in Montezuma!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

We spent 2 nights at Amor de mar, and took a different room for each night.
Rooms are clean, nice, and have a great view of the ocean.
The hotel is located just across the Montezuma waterfall which was very convenient.
Breakfast was not included but we ate there anyway and it was great and reasonably priced.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Hotel Amor de Mar? Share your experiences!