“Paradise on Earth: Amor de Mar gives you an inexplicable sense of complete bliss” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Amor de Mar

Save Saved
You added Hotel Amor de Mar to your Saves list
Hotel Amor de Mar
Apartado 24 Cobano, Montezuma, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #4 of 19 hotels in Montezuma
Bologna, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Costa Rica is an amazing country and you, tourist, visitor, traveller or whoever you are, should visit it at some point in your life, but make sure you make Amor de Mar, in Montezuma, a part of your stay. I have travelled around to different areas but they are my favourite places. As you enter Amor de Mar you can feel the great energy. I was in complete AWE with the view: a beautiful green lawn overlooking the ocean and filled with hammocks , suspended by palm trees, sunbeds, deckchairs and a wooden bench staring out into the river.
I spent my mornings watching the sunrise from that bench, enjoying the wonderful view over the waterfall and the river running into the ocean, lying down in the sun and watching the waves breaking on the rocks, where there is a tidal pool perfect for cooling off during hot hours.

The hotel is one of the most beautiful and peaceful places on earth: surrounded by a tropical garden, I was greeted by wildlife and beautiful blu birds every morning and lulled into the peaceful sound of the waterfall and waves breaking on the rocks every night. The daily care of details (freshly ibiscus and exotic flowers, little candles, music...), the lovely artistic touches make this place unique and special. And when the ocean meets the sky at night, the darkness make this place, with its tea candles, wall lamps and dim lights, simply magical.

The food was excellent Everything home made and organic. Delicious. But the best part of the experience was the staff at Anamaya. They were all wonderful and did everything to make my stay excellent.
The food is incredible and the staff make you feel like you're part of the "Anamaya Family". The view is stunning and the rooms were great - every cabina is different and we got to see some of the rooms that were vacant. Sometimes we needed to ask for clean towels and the cleaning staff were lovely people but they had a tendency to miss things here-or-there...but when we needed something taken care of, we asked and they took care of it right away.

The room was great, very clean and the bed, with an orthopedic matress and soft sheets, was absolutely comfortable!! I had towels ( 2 big and 2 small) every morning and the bathroom was very clean with really hot shower .
I got to see some of the rooms that were vacant and all are different and so personal and authentic.

It is very secure: all the rooms have a safe and there were two lovely and friendly guards, Frank (who taught me some spanish !!) and Julio, watching over the place.

WiFi was very fast and available everywhere: I could even listen to music on you tube down on the lawn !!!
There is also a lovely library on the first floor where I spent some late nights reading and relaxing on a comfortable woody armchair .

Breakfast is not included but it's good value. It was excellent: from huge plates of fresh and delicious tropical fruit to a selection of home made jams and home made bread (I could smell the freshly baked bread every morning!!). Crepes with banana were incredible and freshly brewing coffe ( I could poor it even before the sunrise) and natural juices were available all day long!!

the place is just outside the centre of Montezuma, it is less than 10 minutes' walk. I walked into town every day for lunch or dinner, even by myself and I felt very safe.
you have a walk distance access to a lot of activites: surfing, scuba, horseback riding. Waterfall hike is just right across the street!!

But the best part of the experience was the staff! I think people make the difference! and everybody at Amor de Mar made my three weeks' stay fantastic: they make you feel like you're part of the "Amor de Mar Family" and you really feel at home rather than in a hotel.
Ori, is the nicest and most generous host I've ever met during my 7 years travel, Ammi and Sylvia (which is also a very good yoga teacher) are always smiling and very helpful: when I needed something taken care of, I asked and they took care of it right away. The cleaner staff, Lissette and Yamileth are really nice, the cooks Arturo and Patricia are great and all the kitchen staff , Maria, Andrès, Lopez and Cortès, is so sweet and adorable. And Taco, the gardner, with his friendly smile made my mornings!

This is a very special place. Thank you to all and I am looking forward to coming back !!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

234 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Loveland, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

We were two women traveling to Montezuma and felt very comfortable, safe and well attended here. The grounds are beautiful, the rooms are clean and the food is great, (although not included in the price of the room) Not much you can do about the noise (could hear footsteps in the room overhead) but we loved our stay here. Ori, Ami and Sylvia were so welcoming and accommodating. We would definatly stay there again!

Room Tip: Loved number 9.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011 via mobile

I was traveling alone, and couldn't have stayed in a better spot. The staff were so helpful is assisting with tours, travel arrangements or sharing the best spots to visit in the area. Breakfast everymorning is delicious and good value compared to in town. Grounds are gorgeous, quiet, safe. Rooms are clean and authentic. Will be back!

• Stayed November 2011
Montezuma, Costa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

As others have already said, the accomodation is on a nice property with well groomed lawn and view of the ocean. We were turned off the minute we were received. I had to ask for an extra bath towel (one towel for 2 people?), then when asked for beach towels, were given one. Then we were told we need to put down $20 deposit for key and bath towels. We were told they get stolen. A nicer way of putting it, would've been to say that the deposit was in case they were lost. The reception was strange, not very welcoming.

The reception desk is only manned from 7-12 and 2-5.
It appeared there are 3 caucasian women that run the place (one was nice), we wondered if they actually owned/managed the place, and if so, why they would not have better attitudes.
Next day when my husband asked for tea in the afternoon he was asked if he could just have coffee cos that would mean she wouldnt have to boil water (as we know this is alot of work). we were encouraged to pay our bill the day before we were to leave since we were leaving at 730 am (not that early). When we asked if we could settle the room bill, we were told it'd be fine to do it the next day. Well in the morning, the same lady that didnt want to boil water, appeared stressed/annoyed that we hadnt paid the bill "it'll take me some time to prepare the bill'. Really , it's that hard to calculate a bill for 3 nights???
We were shocked by the attitude at this place. It's not our fault you have incompetent/lazy partners.

We paid $115/night which was NOT worth it. It is green season and we have gotten some great deals in Costa Rica. We stayed at a beautiful 4 star eco friendly resort in Manuel Antonio with a balcony with an ocean view for $160/night, are now outside La Fortuna with a view of Arenal staying in a beautiful cabin, with beautiful grounds, incl hotsprings on the grounds, for $125/night. All include good buffet breakfasts. Amor de Mar did not include breakfast. We had damp, tiny bathroom (with tacky children's shower curtain) with lukewarm water. We are puzzled as to why it's so expensive. It feels like a hostel.

Save your money and do not stay there unless they change personnel, include breakfast, get hot water and cleaner rooms.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
rochester, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

Just stayed at the Casa Luna House for my yearly women's trip. I found it on CNN.com and we picked Montezuma just to stay here. It was the hi-light of our trip! The setting was beautiful, the house was perfect for the 6 of us. The open air shower was great and the second floor balcony gave us a place to hang out and watch the waves. The staff were very nice and helpful. Can't say enough about the Amor De Mar. Spectacular!

Room Tip: The Casa Luna house was private and quiet.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

My husband and I stayed here recently and can honestly say this must be the best place to stay in Montezuma. We viewed a few of the hotels in the area before we picked Amor de Mar and felt this was definitely worth the little more you might pay in rates.

Amor de Mar is in a fantastic location overlooking the beach and rocks with waves breaking to lull you to sleep! It isnt right in the centre of town, but it is less than 10 minutes walk or very short drive. We walked into town each night for dinner without any trouble.

We had room 11, which in fairness was at the back of the building near the street, but it had a wonderful tranquil view over the waterfall and river running into the beach. At night we slept to the peaceful sound of the waterfall and waves breaking on the beach. We also had a fantastic little patio/balcony with hammock and chairs which overlooked the tropical garden. Despite us being near the road we didnt once get disturbed by any street noise.

In the morning we were greeted by wildlife and birds (monkeys, herons, squirrels etc).

The bed was fantastic - the best we have had in 6 weeks travel!

The hotel is also very secure, has security boxes (safe) in each room and a friendly guard onsite who watches over your car too.

WiFi was very fast - available in the restaurant area (and some rooms I believe)

The service was fantastic - always a smile and EVERYONE who worked there was happy to help and offer advice etc.

What I liked most about Amor de Mar were the little extras along the way..... little tealight candles on our patio at night, fragrance sticks in the bathroom, and individually decorated rooms. Each room has its own character which really makes you feel at home rather than in a hotel.

Top marks to Amor de Mar!

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the garden or water. Rooms on the rear side near the street were still fin...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Menlo Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

Stayed with two of my girlfriends, we loved the place!! So peaceful and nice, gorgeous views. The breakfast everyday was outstanding, fresh fresh fresh wonderflu fruit. Great value for the low price - where else can you get an ocean front property for this price?? We're going back again this year we loved it so much!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Amor de Mar? Share your experiences!