“Beautiful location, very rustic” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Los Mangos

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Los Mangos
You added Hotel Los Mangos to your Saves list
Main Street, Montezuma, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
“Beautiful location, very rustic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2015

We came to Los mangos for a yoga retreat & stayed for a week.
The good:
Location, location, location - absolutely stunning view of the ocean & lush greenery
Shade from the mango trees
The yoga pavilion
The woman in charge of the retreats - dagmar - was simply excellent
Clean
Simple & stunning
Friendly staff
Sylvester the friendliest kitty ever

The not so good:
It is extremely hot here. There is no air conditioning & in March, there is no cool breeze at night. You sweat 100% of the time. You need AC in Costa Rica. The people who claim that there is a breeze at night did not stay here in March. Extremely hot throughout the night.
You cannot flush paper products. Gets pretty gnarly between trash changes in the extreme heat.
Bugs. Everywhere. Bugs & geckos all over the place. Be prepared.
Monkey mango fights - this is both hilarious & somewhat annoying. You eventually learn to sleep thru the noise of mangos cracking on the roof

I very much enjoyed my stay here. Rustic beautiful, just what I needed. I recommend the yoga & qi massage highly. I think if I come back to montezuma I am going to need air conditioning though

Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Tomball, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2015

Arrived in town early evening with no reservations. This was the only game in town. Room was in the hotel portion and a great ocean view but overpriced at $35/nite. Ended up there for 3 nights. Pool area nice as was the Greek owner. Rooms very small and dark. Will do if need be. Felt it was clean and shared a bathroom that was cleaned every morning.

Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2015 via mobile

We stayed in a cabina at Los Mangos for 4 nights. We loved the seclusion of the cabina and that it was back from the dusty Montezuma road, but you could still hear the waves crashing in on the sea. The pool was a welcome and necessary relief from the extreme heat. Didn't do any yoga, but the yoga room seemed really nice. Wish this place had coffee or breakfast - had to go to Amor de Mar for morning coffee. We loved the porch of our cabina for lazy hammock rest and afternoon beer drinking. The fridge is also great - eating out can be expensive so we had yoghurt, cereal, beer and milk in the fridge to save on meals. Not all places have fridges.

Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2015

This local hotel was a great place for me to stay during my Yoga package week. I stayed in a single room, shared bathroom, in their hotel (vs the more expensive private bungalows). With thick towels, comfy beds, ceiling fans and fresh beach views from the porch's rocking chairs, it's a great value. The pool is beautiful and well maintained, too.

It's a short 10 minute hike along the dirt road to reach the center of town, which keeps it away from the nighttime noise, but the hotel is close by to the waterfalls trail and several good restaurants, so location is very nice.

I heard others complain about higher rates, bugs in rooms, and lack of hot water, but I was glad to not have experienced any of that.

A few upgrades to grounds maintenance, provision of coffee in the AM, and stronger WiFi, and this place could move up a notch.

Room Tip: Rooms with shared bath are much better value than private bath. Upstairs rooms better than downsta...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled solo
Gualala, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2015

A friend& I stayed here for a week after a tour in the northern areas of Costa Rica. We really enjoyed relaxing here! We had both Howler and White Faced monkeys visit almost daily. We took advantage of the yoga classes and also swam in the pool several times a day. The location is ideal, quiet but only a five minute walk to "downtown" for dinner, as well as close to the hike to the Montezuma waterfalls.
Both the owner and staff were wonderful!

Although there is no air conditioning, we didn't really need it with the ceiling fan and open (screened) windows.
I would definitely stay again!

Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
Sherwood Park, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2015

My husband & I spent one night here after arriving from Santa Teresa & not getting a room where we wished! The host/owner is nice, friendly and accomodating! We stayed in a bungalow, in the dark treed area; with no air conditioning, bugs crawling through the screens, on the counters in the bathroom and 2 little hard beds for "comfort"! Were a bit freaked out by the large "rat like" animal roaming around under our bungalow as we returned from the pool (fine as long as it couldn't get inside)? The front deck area was nice as it had a hammock & 2 rocking chairs. The pool is great, with views to the ocean from it, but be careful of where you step as I ripped my toe open on the fake stone on my way to the shower - prior to even getting into the pool! Having a beach access area across the road & being able to walk only a few minutes {using either beach or road} to Montezuma was great! Hearing the howler monkeys early in the morning was a wonderful way to start the day, even if it was VERY early!!!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2015

Stayed here 6 nights in a bungalow over the new years. No complaints at all, but the price is high for Montezuma, and I would have expected, for example that the WIFI would be available in the bungalows, and not only beside the receptionist, and perhaps also some morning coffee, given the distance to town. They are shaded on the hillside, with good fans, and this helped with the very high heat in Montezuma, Place is about a 10 minute fast walk from "downtown", and this gets wearing if doing the round trip 3-4 times a day, as I was. Pool is nice. They take charge cards, which is rare in Montezuma, and helpful given that the one ATM machine in town is very fussy/unreliable.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Los Mangos? Share your experiences!