“Simple and charming!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Los Mangos

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Los Mangos
Main Street, Montezuma, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #7 of 19 hotels in Montezuma
Portland, Oregon
“Simple and charming!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Hotel Los Mangos is cute, clean hotel. The rooms were clean, and we had a view of the ocean. It's within walking distance to the center of town, and the ocean. We absolutely loved staying here. If you're looking for fancy, then this isn't the place for you. If you want clean, simple and affordable...go for it. We will be back!

168 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Thought this would be our dream vacation. Hotel had nice reviews on this site and I was so happy to get reservation during the high season. Then on my first day two people were doing alot of drugs right at the pool!! Immediately went to reception, where a woman with a screaming toddler said so what? I asked for the manager and she said not possible try tomorrow. I said your child is with you and someone at your hotel is doing drugs at the first table in front of the pool, at least 20 minutrs of this went on and judging from the people who walked around him and the people with him I think he was dealing. She said oh ya is your problem.
One hour later and I could not get wifi, and the room- threadbare sheets and a very worn out blanket, curtains not sufficient to actually cover the window, anyone can see in, we checked and every inch of the room is visible and the rooms are on a loud busy road, there is no privacy as the rooms are very very close to each other and you can hear your neighbour's footsteps!!!!! Add to that a safe that does not work and no soap or shampoo. For the high cost of staying here, over $80, there are certain expectations. I write this while the receptionist rocks in a big chair reading a novel with her feet up -ignorance! Drugs being used and dismal accomodations. And one last thing- they overcharge on tours here juat book elsewhere, even the yoga is grossly overpriced. Terrible place!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2013
Plainville, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Los Mangos is in a great location a short walk to the center of the village. We stayed in one of the bungalows, very simple but served us well during our stay. The pool was a nice place to cool off at the end of the day and before changing and getting ready for the evening. The beach was rather rocky and not easy to get into the water without shoes but we found this to be the case for many of the beaches in the area.

Also liked that the rooms had small refrigerators in them. Helped to store snacks and also cold water. Make sure you bring your own shampoo and soap. We received one bar of soap during our stay and it would have been nice if they provided replacements when we were there.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Lovely bungalows in a Mango Tree Garden with great swimming pool and Iguanas hanging out like pets. Nice location between Montezuma Village and Waterfalls run by a friendly helpful Greek man. You need Spanish if you want to chat with the staff.
We filmed two Iguanas having a bloody fight near our room.
10 minutes walk to Chico's Bar, 1000c beers 1500c 1.5 liter, try Flor De Cana Nicaraguan Rum and crawl back to hotel.

Room Tip: Maybe more wildlife sightings from rooms further back in the gardens?
San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Los Mangos is a five minutes walk away from the layed back village montezuma 20 meter to the sea and a 10 minutes walk from the next beach. The waterfal trail is basically right next door. On a large beautiful and lush garden property individual bungalows, rooms and rooms with shared bathroom are offered. All facilities are super clean and well maintained, the rooms include a daily service. The prices are absolutely reasonable. So much for the facts...
Costas the owner is a source of information and in addition very nice and super helpful. The awesome thing is that the property has it's own Yogastudio run by Dagmar Spremberg and yoga lessons are offered on a daily basis and at a reasonable price. A stay at this property is a retreat for body and soul. Privat yoga lessons are possible as yoga packages involving massages and and other retreats. This was the place I spent my final days in Costa Rica and was able to fully recharge my batteries. Absolutely recommendable for all individuals who need a break. The bungalows invite for couples time ;-) The awesome thing was as one could choose between solitude or u swing by downtown montezuma to choose from one of the many bars and restaurants...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Saratoga, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I am 62 years old man from USA, and I have been traveling Costa Rica extensively for 2 years now. What I can say about hotel Los Mangos is that this was the worse experience in all my travels in November of 2012. Although the hotel is not far from the ocean – you can’t swim there, as it all rocky beaches. So you need to go a couple of miles to downtown back and forth, if you like swimming, as I do. The room was lousy, and dirty, on a 2nd floor. The receptionist did not speak English. The reservation has been made with “Anywhere Costa Rica”, and I called them right away, and asked if I could stay for 1 night, but then be relocated for remaining 4 nights to the hotel in Down Town.
The representative at “Anywhere Costa Rica” Alejandro was very helpful, and understanding, and she said that she will contact the owner to confirm with him this cancellation the next day. Well, in 10 min I was invited to Hotel’s phone, and the owner started to insult me using his “knowledge” of English language to the fullest extent, including “F….Y”, S…of…B” and so forth. I tried to calm him down, tried to explain that I just came to swim, which is not possible form his hotel, that it’s nothing personal. He said “I am coming to you…” In a few minutes he did show up, with all the ammunition of the same language, plus with waiving a hand on me, and almost hitting me. Frankly, I had an impression he was under the influence of a drug; he was not acting like normal man.
So, I just picked up my suitcase from the room, and left, and drag my suitcase for couple of miles to downtown, where I found a nice, clean hotel, close to the beach. I did call “Anywhere Costa Rica” right away to my rep. Alejandro, and she issued me a full credit for this reservation with apology.
So, my advice: STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Leavenworth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stumbled into Los Mangos after making a detour to Montezuma. What a great choice. We had a perfect, simple, clean room overlooking the sea for a fantastic price and morning yoga from Montezuma Yoga right on the property. We were traveling with two little kids and the pool was perfect for them not to mention it's gorgeous! Montezuma feels a little dense but Los Mangos has expansive gardens and space to breath and relax. The monkeys come down in the trees, big iguanas lounge by the river, the rooms are have a safe, and there is good security at night. The sound of the ocean lulled us to sleep and there were loads of fresh towels daily and overall helpful service. We absolutely fell in love with this place and hope to return soon. Thank you Los Mangos for such a great visit!!! November was a perfect month to travel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Los Mangos? Share your experiences!