“Simply Pura Vida” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Los Mangos

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Los Mangos
Save Saved
You added Hotel Los Mangos to your Saves list
Main Street, Montezuma, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Simply Pura Vida”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Los Mangos is a five minutes walk away from the layed back village montezuma 20 meter to the sea and a 10 minutes walk from the next beach. The waterfal trail is basically right next door. On a large beautiful and lush garden property individual bungalows, rooms and rooms with shared bathroom are offered. All facilities are super clean and well maintained, the rooms include a daily service. The prices are absolutely reasonable. So much for the facts...
Costas the owner is a source of information and in addition very nice and super helpful. The awesome thing is that the property has it's own Yogastudio run by Dagmar Spremberg and yoga lessons are offered on a daily basis and at a reasonable price. A stay at this property is a retreat for body and soul. Privat yoga lessons are possible as yoga packages involving massages and and other retreats. This was the place I spent my final days in Costa Rica and was able to fully recharge my batteries. Absolutely recommendable for all individuals who need a break. The bungalows invite for couples time ;-) The awesome thing was as one could choose between solitude or u swing by downtown montezuma to choose from one of the many bars and restaurants...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Saratoga, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I am 62 years old man from USA, and I have been traveling Costa Rica extensively for 2 years now. What I can say about hotel Los Mangos is that this was the worse experience in all my travels in November of 2012. Although the hotel is not far from the ocean – you can’t swim there, as it all rocky beaches. So you need to go a couple of miles to downtown back and forth, if you like swimming, as I do. The room was lousy, and dirty, on a 2nd floor. The receptionist did not speak English. The reservation has been made with “Anywhere Costa Rica”, and I called them right away, and asked if I could stay for 1 night, but then be relocated for remaining 4 nights to the hotel in Down Town.
The representative at “Anywhere Costa Rica” Alejandro was very helpful, and understanding, and she said that she will contact the owner to confirm with him this cancellation the next day. Well, in 10 min I was invited to Hotel’s phone, and the owner started to insult me using his “knowledge” of English language to the fullest extent, including “F….Y”, S…of…B” and so forth. I tried to calm him down, tried to explain that I just came to swim, which is not possible form his hotel, that it’s nothing personal. He said “I am coming to you…” In a few minutes he did show up, with all the ammunition of the same language, plus with waiving a hand on me, and almost hitting me. Frankly, I had an impression he was under the influence of a drug; he was not acting like normal man.
So, I just picked up my suitcase from the room, and left, and drag my suitcase for couple of miles to downtown, where I found a nice, clean hotel, close to the beach. I did call “Anywhere Costa Rica” right away to my rep. Alejandro, and she issued me a full credit for this reservation with apology.
So, my advice: STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Leavenworth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stumbled into Los Mangos after making a detour to Montezuma. What a great choice. We had a perfect, simple, clean room overlooking the sea for a fantastic price and morning yoga from Montezuma Yoga right on the property. We were traveling with two little kids and the pool was perfect for them not to mention it's gorgeous! Montezuma feels a little dense but Los Mangos has expansive gardens and space to breath and relax. The monkeys come down in the trees, big iguanas lounge by the river, the rooms are have a safe, and there is good security at night. The sound of the ocean lulled us to sleep and there were loads of fresh towels daily and overall helpful service. We absolutely fell in love with this place and hope to return soon. Thank you Los Mangos for such a great visit!!! November was a perfect month to travel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This past Sept of 2012 I rented a beachouse outside of Montezuma when CR exp a 7.8 mag earthquake--Soon aftger I had to ditch the house, as its roof was now dangerously 'rearranged' and went into town looking for a new place--I found refuge at Hotel Los Mangos. Being low season there were plenty of cabinas so I took up residence in one up the hill and it was a very comforting experience. Despite being rainy season, the cabin was always well ventilated, dry and the staff kept it perfectly and cheerfully clean. It had a mini-fridge and and hot water, which is basically the difference between most hostel-type places and a real hotel--as rustic as it may be.

The proprietor and his assistent are very welcoming and friendly people who did everything possible to get me situated. I have a slight disability requiring assistance getting around, carrying and lugging but staff helped whenever needed w/o exdpecting anything in return.

I don't know what its like in the busy season, but when its green-time, things are very laid back and chill there. The best swimming in Montezuma is a small beach accross the road and close to a superb Italian Rest. as well as town where more food and activities are only a 10" walk.

I recommend Hotel Los Mangos to those who are fine with a basic cool little cabin tucked into the woods with staff that are truly friendly, helpful and competent..

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Addison, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Last summer, my family of 5 went to Costa Rica (aged 9 to 45). We stayed at Los Mangos for 4 days and absolutely loved our stay. It was very affordable,and the environment was great. We got two separate bungalows that were across the way from each other. It was private but not exclusive. You are completely surrounded by nature- tall trees, monkeys jumping around, mangos falling to the ground to eat. There was a beautiful pool, great yoga studio, easy access to the village, and also lots of opportunities for excursions. The owner went above and beyond to make us feel welcome throughout our stay. If you are looking to escape the hustle and bustle of most vacation spots, and enjoy nature, this beautiful bohemian Montezumo village and hotel will be a greta option for you.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

My husband and I recently visited Montezuma, Costa Rica, a wonderful little beach village on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica. We didn't have reservations so we started looking for a hotel. We made the mistake of stopping at Los Mangos. The guide book made it sound inviting. NOT!
The young woman acting as a receptionist didn't greet us. She was sitting in a chair on the porch and got up and dragged herself behind the reception desk.

We inquired about a room and rates. Then we asked to see one of the rooms. Each room is an octagon building, standing alone with lots of privacy. Unfortunately, the buildings are dark, dank, and poorly furnished. The rooms matched the attitude of the receptionist. The grounds were unkept, again, much like the receptionist.

We spotted a unit that looked lighter and brighter and asked to see that one. Miss Personality refused to show us the other room saying they were all alike. In addition to the above mentioned problems the pool was out of order. We decided to continue our search for a place we could enjoy. This was definitely NOT the place.

Room Tip: Choose a room somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We spent a week at Los Mongos just on the spring side of wet season. The hut was rustic, but well maintained. We were very damp for the majority of our stay there, but that is life in the wet season.

Our room had a mini fridge, and a decently sized shower. Like a lot of places, there was a breaker switch in the bathroom to turn on the hot water and water pressure for the shower. None of that dangerous "instant heat" scariness.

The pool was beautiful. It overlooked the trees and to the ocean. They also have a yoga studio on site. Quite nice for yoga-surf packages.

The huts sit way back from the road with some trees in between, which is a major benefit. The road is dirt and is highly trafficked by ATVs. So being set back was a nice dirt and noise buffer. The downside of being surrounded by trees is that you can also be surrounded by howler moneys--who can be very loud at about 5AM.

There is no wifi, no restaurant.

Room Tip: They offer both a hotel and huts. Make sure you let them know which you'd prefer. The huts only...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Los Mangos? Share your experiences!