“Best place we stayed in our 3 week Honeymoon tour of Costa Rica” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Los Mangos

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Los Mangos
You added Hotel Los Mangos to your Saves list
Main Street, Montezuma, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
“Best place we stayed in our 3 week Honeymoon tour of Costa Rica”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

We stopped in a beautiful Bungalow for a total of 5 nights at Los Mangos and enjoyed every minute of it.
I am truly shocked to read some of the negative reports on this website related to Los Mangos. It is obvious that people who did not enjoy their stay booked their accomodation for entirely different reasons than the purpose of the development.
Los Mangos offers superb accomodation in the jungle and beautiful seaside village of Montezuma. The Bungalows are quaint, comfortable, fridge, hot water, fan, shower and sparkingly clean.
Added to this there hammocks and chairs on your bacloney to allow you sit outside and soak up the experience. The swimming pool is excellent as well as the offer of Yoga classes onsite which my wife and enjoyed on two occassions.
Why on earth you would want to sit in your bungalow and watch TV is beyond me, the internet? if this is what you are looking for perhaps you should have stopped in Jaco.
We were fortunate enough to see Monkeys, Lizards, Iguanas in our stay here, I for one would not be annoyed or upset if they ate or stole any of our food, I would it throughly amusing do you expect them to knock on the door and ask for a a cup of tea.
The staff and in particular Kosta's are superb, kind and considerate as well as always wanting to communicate with his guests, a true gent.
Cheers
Rob & Chioma Wallace

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Loveland, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

The grounds of this hotel are beautiful but we had a very unsatisfactory stay there. The water faucets do not shut off in the bungalow and an animal came in through a hole in the plumbing and ate our nuts and granola and then relieved itself all over the bathroom floor. Wish we had been told to keep our edibles in a safe! We moved to the hotel room and the cold water tap did not work. When we checked out we found that the owner of the place was insisting on charging us for all three nights when we only stayed two. We couldn't wait to leave that place. It took some arguing but he finally gave me my money back for the last night that we did not stay. Costas (manager/owner) was the only condescending, disagreeable person in the whole town.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
enjoylifenewyork, Owner at Hotel Los Mangos, responded to this review, November 24, 2011
Dear Susan,
after spending quite some time talking with you and your girlfriend at the reception i am honestly surprised to read your review and how you feel you have been treated here at Hotel Los Mangos. When you came to me about the animal that came to your bungalow i offered you to change bungalows or rooms, which you did. I send my worker immediately to check for any holes in your bungalow where any animal could have come in and there weren't any. I have a feeling the suspected animal rather came in while you had the door open and that can happen easily since we are in the jungle with lots of wildlife. I am sorry we didn't specifically advise you not to leave any food out in the room, we normally do tell that and we have a sign inside the room advising our guests to leave their food in the provided fridges.
As for the charges we only charged you for the two nights when you decided to check out and gave you the money back. Of course it is our receptionists responsabillity to get permission from the owner before returning any money. We always want to make sure our guests feel relaxed and comfortable and we value your opinion and any constructive feedback. Sincerely Costas
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

I guess I can't say I had a truly negative experience at Los Mangos, but I am disappointed in the value for money. The hotel had no internet, and the room I stayed in had no a/c, no hot water (which I knew from the website), and was incredibly dimly lit. That was for $30/night. I've stayed in $10 hostels that had a/c, internet, a pool, and hot water. I guess I just figured that paying 3 times as much, I should at least have had a tv in the room or a bigger room or something to make it worth the extra money. The staff was nice, but at times gave me the feeling they were annoyed by my questions/requests.

The only other guests who were there at the same time as me had an awful experience and checked out a few days early, if that means anything.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
enjoylifenewyork, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Los Mangos, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
Dear Leah,
we are sorry to hear how you feel about your stay with us, but let me just clarify that we do offer internet at the hotel reception for our guests, but since our property is quite big, we do not always have wifi all over the property and the connections all over town come and go.
The room you stayed in is one of our rooms for budget travelers and we actually consciously choose not to have A/C in our rooms and bungalows, because it is very harmful for the environment and we find that all rooms have enough airflow that it is not really needed. We also tell our guests in advance that we do not offer A/C, so they know and most of our guests are actually very happy as they dislike A/C. The same for TV, we are in the jungle where people are surrounded by amazing nature and wildlife, so we don't think anybody would want to spend their time in a room watching TV. We are planning to install hot water for the small bathrooms, as they are the only ones that don't have it, but again, most people in this hot climate actually prefer a refreshing cold shower. But we agree with you it would be good to give the option of a hot one :) We also do have a wonderful big swimming pool on our property below the yoga pavillion and i hope you had a chance to enjoy it during your stay.
denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

This place is awesome. The bungalows are solo units and each one has a lovely porch with a hammock and rocking chair, which are within sight and sound of the ocean, and very close to the beach (2 min walk), and very close to "town" (5 min walk). My wife and I stayed for three days and then stayed for two more since we loved it so much. The staff is very friendly and the grounds are beautifully maintained.

It is a bit rustic here, and as other reviewers mentioned, it'd be good to bring a headlamp and some S-hooks for hanging damp clothing. Since you'll likely be swimming in the pool, ocean, and waterfalls of Montezuma, you'll want to have a way for your clothes to dry.

All-in-all, an excellent place. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: The bungalows are awesome, individual units. There's also a small hotel, but we didn't stay...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

My sister and I just returned from a week at Los Mangos Hotel in Montezuma. We stayed in the bungalos and had a great time watching the monkeys and iguanas. It was great, but becuase of the mosquito light bulbs (which are by nature dimmer), I'd suggest bringing a headlamp, and maybe a clothes line (or s hooks) to help dry your bathing suits, etc. We did the Montezuma Yoga/Surf package: a blissful week of Dagmar's wonderful vinyasa yoga and High Tide Surf with Mauricio. Every part of the week was great - from the surf lessons and yoga to teh waterfall hikes to the hotel staff's helpful food recommendations. Highly, highly recommended; we can't wait to return.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

I stayed at Los Mangos last month and I really liked the vibe you get, lots of nature, beautiful pool, yoga every morning, the owners Kostas and Nikos are extremely nice, I went down there for low season so everything was really quiet and peaceful (almost too much) i think the hotel needs some kind of restaurant/kitchen/lounge though, you barely get to meet your neighbors.
Also the staff was extremely nice with my dog, thank you

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

Wow! After getting over the sounds of the wildlife in the surroundings, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. The first night we woke up at 6.30am to the loud noise of Howler monkeys, followed by the quieter noise of other smaller monkeys eating mangos in the trees nearby. We saw the resident iguanas daily and realised that, as they weren't bothered by our presence, we weren't too bothered by theirs.
The rocking chairs and the hammock on the balcony were great to relax on and listen to the noise of the ocean and wildlife in front of us.
The bedroom and bathroom were clean and comfortable but we did take care to keep our door closed when we had the lights on at night, so as not to attract in too many bugs - but this is the same for much of Costa Rica!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple