“Best instructors of any activity I've ever tried!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 23 Activities in Montezuma
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Young Vision Surf School is a Costa Rican owned and operated surf school in Montezuma, Costa Rica. International Surf Association (ISA) Certified bilingual surf instructors and Certified Beach Rescue Lifeguards teach you about safety in the water, standing up on the board and catching waves of all sizes. Daily lessons include two hours of instruction, the use of the surf board, rash guard and fresh fruits. Contact us to fulfill your dream of surfing in paradise!
New York City, New York
“Best instructors of any activity I've ever tried!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

I came to CR to learn to surf and had the greatest experience with Young Vision Surf School, where I spent most of the time with Alvarro and Manuel. I was nervous about surfing for the first time, but they immediately made me feel comfortable, safe, and well-taken care of. Manuel was a great instructor to me and gave me the confidence to pick up the skills and to have fun and enjoy it at the same time. Additionally, Alvarro explained the wildlife and amazing surroundings of the nature reserve on the daily walks to and from the surf area and made the entire experience extra special, in addition to the surfing. The instruction was beyond superb and I thoroughly enjoyed everyone's company. All in all, one of the best and most special experiences I had in CR overall. I highly recommend Young Vision Surf, you will not only have fun from the first day, but you will be so hooked you will want to come back again and again!
-Jeanne, NYC

Visited July 2014

Garden Grove, California
“I can surf now! Great experience and wonderful, passionate teachers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Don't leave Montezuma without first taking at least one lesson from these remarkable teachers. The instruction was very individualized and based on constant feedback. You will feel empowered and successful on a surfboard by the end of one session. (I'm 54) I thought I would only sign up for one lesson, but I kept going back. What a wonderful exerience. Thank-you Alvarro, Manuel and Susana.

Visited July 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great lessons and great company”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

My friend and I spent several days taking surf lessons in Montezuma with Manuel and Young Vision Surf School. First off, Manuel is an awesome dude, really great to hang out with, and a great surf instructor. Both my friend and I were complete beginners when we arrived in Montezuma, but Manuel showed us everything we needed to know in our first lesson on how to standup.

Because we developed a good foundation during our first lesson, during our second lesson, he showed me how to paddle (much harder than it sounds!) and get past the break line to ride bigger waves on a faster board. The waves were rougher that day, but we stuck with it and he gave me great advice and pointers throughout the day until I could get up on the board and ride those bigger waves.

Overall it was a great (and exhausting!) experience, and one I would definitely sign up for again!! If I could do it over again, instead of signing up for a couple of individual lessons, I would have gotten a package deal, i.e. 3-4 lessons (at a slightly better price) because there is so much to learn!

Visited May 2014
San Francisco, California
“Awesome instructors!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I spent the last week working with Manuel, Alvarro, and Sammy - and what an amazing experience it was. I went to CR with the intention of improving my advanced beginning surfing. I wanted to dig out some bad habits, learn better wave choice, and feel more confident on the board. I got all of this and SO MUCH MORE. Manuel read me like a book - and offered simply delivered insightful observations that transformed the way I surf.

I also watched the team teach 10 women to surf in a week. Two of them were out with me past the break on the fifth day - and they were doing really well. The instructors give a lot of patient, personal attention and make sure each person is learning the right way to surf AND having fun doing it.

Most of all, these guys make you feel really comfortable and at home, part of the gang. They have a sweet, supportive, happy way about them that embodies everything I believe surfing to be about. Plus - those guys can rip it up.

If you are in CR, on the Nicoya peninsula, seek these guys out. They are local, they've grown up on the breaks there. You really can't find a better deal or a better experience.

Visited April 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Fantastic Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

We were in Montezuma at the end of February as a group of 4 friends - none of us had ever surfed before and we we were all standing up before the half way point in the lesson!

The lessons are in the stunning location and the instructors were awesome. The fruit provided was delicious and re-energized us for the second part of the morning.

Would highly recommend the intro surfing lesson for people of all ages!

Visited February 2014