“A life-changing experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 18 Activities in Montezuma
Type: Water sports
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Young Vision Surf School is a Costa Rican owned and operated surf school in Montezuma, Costa Rica. International Surf Association (ISA) Certified bilingual surf instructors and Certified Beach Rescue Lifeguards teach you about safety in the water, standing up on the board and catching waves of all sizes. Daily lessons include two hours of instruction, the use of the surf board, rash guard and fresh fruits. Contact us to fulfill your dream of surfing in paradise!
Tallahassee, Florida
“A life-changing experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

My surf lessons with Manuel and Nico were rich beyond words. I could not have imagined the authentic and genuine immersion that they provided as seasoned surfers, teachers and Montezuma ambassadors. This is more than an excursion--it's an invitation to experience and embrace nature and its wonders. In all, I had five days of lessons with these wonderful people and their extraordinarily warm and positive energy. It was a gift that I am beyond grateful for.

Visited July 2013
ManuelandAlvaro, Owner at Young Vision Surf School, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
We were thrilled to have been a part of your stay in Montezuma. So glad you enjoyed your surf experience and got to appreciate our home in the jungle at Playa Grande. Hope you will visit us again one day. Pura Vida!

Chicago, Illinois
“Could not have been better!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We can't say enough good things about Young Vision Surf School. They didn't just make our surf experience great, but made our day and trip great too. With Young Vision you wont just learn how to surf but also all about the surrounding area and nature and make some cool friends. Manuel and Nic were great instructors who helped us feel comfortable and confident surfing. We didnt have to carry boards all the way down the beach since they had them out near the beach already (this might not sound important but its a decent walk from town). The break in surfing was perfect to sit around and eat some fresh fruit and drink fresh coconut water and hang out before heading back into the waves. They even thought ahead to bring us shirts which was super nice! Overall, a lesson with Young Vision will be a fantastic experience where you wont feel like you are on the clock and will take away some great memories. Look no further, Young Vision is the best!

Visited June 2013
Montreal, Canada
4 attraction reviews
“Great time in Montezuma”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

My boyfriend and I really wanted to surf in Costa Rica and after a disappointing experience in Mal Pais, we decided to try it in Montezuma. Best decision ever! It was absolutely fantastic! The instructor was a genuine and funny fella! Complementary fruits were delicious as well. An absolute must :)

Visited August 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“beautiful spot, great instructors”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Manuel and Alvaro run a great school in a great location. The week I was there the waves were kind of big and dumping, but there was plenty of fun on the inside and most of the people in my group were getting some waves on the first day. Plus the post-surf fruit every day was fantastic.

The break is kind of a hike from the road, but it's a beautiful walk and there was always good company to walk with. Plus Manny and Alvaro are both full of information on the flora and fauna of the area so there's always something new to learn about.

These guys work hard, and it shows, the real Pura Vida.

Visited March 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“More than surf lessons -- life lessons”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Back in March, my partner and I had the honor of taking a surf lesson with Manuel from Young Vision in Montezuma. Manuel is wise beyond his years. In the hours I spent with him, he gave me the gifts of not only the foundations of surfing, but of some hard-won wisdom as well.

In terms of the lesson -- it was perfect in every way. Manuel met us in town at the designated time (in fact, he was early), and led us on an amazing walk through a nature reserve to Playa Grande, where we'd be surfing for the afternoon. The walk alone was amazing. Manuel, a lifelong Montezuma resident, walked barefoot over the sharp rocks and hot sand; it was as if there was no distinction between his feet and the earth he walked on. As we walked, he gave us an excellent oral history of the area -- it was one of the highlights of our trip.

Once we got to Playa Grande, I started to get nervous. I had never surfed before and I was more than a little anxious about it. My partner had surfed a few times before, so he was excited to get back in the water. Manuel saw that the tide wasn't quite right for us to begin surfing, so we took our time with the sand-side lesson. Manuel was 110% focused on us the entire time he was with us -- not once did he appear rushed or distracted. His "live in the moment" attitude helped me relax and enjoy the lesson.

One of Manuel's many strengths is that he is endlessly positive, while at the same time extremely good at encouraging you to try harder and do better. I'm sure I must have been one of the clumsiest, least graceful, most nervous people he's even given a lesson to, but he never stopped finding genuine compliments on my progress. He has a way of using compliments to point out your areas for improvement in a way that felt completely non-judgmental and incredibly supportive. He made me feel capable, which I honestly didn't think would be possible.

Another one of Manuel's strengths is that he is able to work with people of varying skill levels at the same time and give very personalized attention and feedback to everyone. My partner had a foundational understanding of surfing but could use some help developing techniques to refine and advance his skills, while I needed help getting the courage to try to stand up on my board! Manuel was right there for both of us the entire time, never seeming tired, bored, or overwhelmed. His calm attitude made me feel calm and relaxed.

While I honestly didn't think I would ever manage to stand up on the board that day, I did! And the first time I did it, it felt amazing. But perhaps even more amazing was Manuel's reaction -- he was overjoyed! He kept saying that he thought he was more excited than I was when I finally rode my first wave. Having that kind of unconditional support and encouragement from someone I'd only met an hour before was a pretty incredible feeling.

At some point we took a break and enjoyed fresh coconut water from coconuts that Manuel skillfully sliced open for us -- another trip highlight.

After our lesson -- which lasted as long as we wanted it to, with Manuel letting us decide when we were ready to call it a day -- we took our time walking back to town. We learned that Manuel is a new father (congratulations again!) and that both of his parents had passed away. My own mother died last year and I'd been struggling to embrace the joys of life in the wake of her death. That was something Manuel and I talked about on that walk back to town, and I soaked up his powerful and healing energy and attitude of enjoying the present moment and making the best of each passing day.

To cap off an already unforgettable day, Manuel ended our excursion to a little grove where he keeps the surfboards and where he spent his childhood growing up. We talked about the fruit trees and he picked us some fresh mangoes from the branches. And when we mentioned that we hadn't seen any monkeys yet on our trip in Costa Rica, he pointed to some trees and there, sure enough, was a family of howlers! We watched them for a long time, eating our mangoes and soaking up the incredible moment.

Thank you, Manuel, for a truly life-changing day! You not only taught me how to surf, but you taught me more than a little about life and how to live it, too. Hope to see you again someday.

To anyone considering a surf lesson, or even just a day in nature with an incredible guide, I cannot recommend Manuel and Young Vision any more highly!

Visited March 2013