“An experience I'll never forget!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 18 activities in Montezuma
Type: Water sports
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: From the moment many people ride their first wave, they are hooked for life. Our mission at Montezuma Surf is to Introduce, Educated, and Train all levels of Surfers from the vast knowledge we have acquired during Decades of Surfing . We offer Friendly, Certified, Bilingual Instruction, while focusing on your Comfort, Safety, and Satisfaction. At Montezuma Surf we pride ourselves on the level of commitment we have towards creating great Surf Adventures. The Southern Nicoya Peninsula, of Costa Rica, is a region unlike any other place on earth. When you arrive in this area, your senses will be flooded with natural beauty, and positive energy. Near the tip of the Peninsula is the slightly funky, and always lively town of Montezuma, a magical and unique Surf Destination. Being on a Peninsula is a great advantage for Surfing, as we can surf a wide variety of waves. And if the Surf is too small, too big, or too windy on one side of the Peninsula, we can usually find Perfect Surf on the other side.
Philipsburg, St Maarten-St Martin
“An experience I'll never forget!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Chris Johnson, the founder of the Montezuma Surf School, has influenced me with his positivity and effortless way of guiding one through the simple and exhilarating experience of surfing the ocean. Chris is one of the most peaceful and fun-loving individuals I have met during my stay on the Nicoya Peninsula; I thank him for opening my eyes to "la pura vida" de Costa Rica and to some of the great options for exploration around Montezuma. During our surf lesson, we visited a breath-taking and expansive beach of bright blues and soft sands, called Playa Hermosa, in Santa Teresa. As beginners, he eased my friends and I through the process of catching a wave and despite some pretty funny falls, we each got up on our boards with the support and solid advice from Chris within the first hour! After some cool drinks and fresh piña, we all felt amazing and couldn't resist going back in for some more waves - I don't think the experience could have been any better than that... Good company, accomplished feelings, and topping it off with the beach bonfire capped off the day as perfection! After two full weeks of different activities in and out of Montezuma, I can confidently say that this was by far the best and most worthwhile experience I've had. Chris has become a great friend and I know that his optimism and abundant enthusiasm will influence many more to come!

Visited June 2012

Florida
“Exhilirating! I actually did it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

As an active, well travelled woman over 40, I never thought i would be able to feel the excitement of the waves beneath me as I am not very coordinated and I usually just watch the surfers from the shore. Chris Johnson with Montezuma Surf School was able to teach me a few very useful and simple tricks/techniqures to "popping" up and maintaining my balance as the waves brought me and the board to shore. His professional teaching ability to break it down and get me up was wonderfully exhilirating and made the highlight of my whole trip. I travel to Costa Rica every year and I will certainly attend Montezuma Surf School again and again. The locations that he chose and took our group to are beautiful and make for an excellent adventure in and of itself. I surfed several days in places called Playa Grande, Playa Los Cedros, Mai Pais and also Santa Teresa. When you get to Montezuma ask for Chris Johnson, he truly is the best. See you next year Chris!

Visited March 2012
ft myers beach
“Awesome Sunset Surf Safari”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

When my babe & I were leaving for our annual trip to Costa Rica I decided this time to learn how to surf. This is huge for a person who swims like a rock. Wow did we get lucky with Chris who has to be the best & most fun instructor ever. We took off to the perfect spot, Playa Hermosa, north up the coast from Mai Pais for his Sunset Surf Safari. Are you kidding me, 1st time out and I'm up and riding a wave in to the shore. One of the most increadable feelings ever. Wish I was 20 years younger and had found this spot. Yes, tired fast. Now time to relax and dry out next to the fire and wait for an awesome sunset to start the night off. Cant wait til next year, will have to figure out how to get back for several more trips. Thank you so much Chris. Thaddeus@dabeach

Visited May 2012
Kingston, Jamaica
“Surfing with Chris!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Luckily, my friends and I met Chris while hitchhiking to Montezuma. We could immediately sense he had great energy and were eager to sign up for his surfing lessons. It was undoubtedly one of my best days on the Nicoya Peninsula- Chris drove us to Playa Hermosa in Santa Teresa, rated one of the best beaches in Costa Rica. It was the perfect environment for a launch into surfing – the waves were gentle and there were few rocks. Wide range

Chris began with a concise introduction to surfing techniques, which were then practiced in the water. He definitely met the individual needs of all the students. Those who were more at ease in the water were given more advanced advice while others needed more basic assistance.

He made sure to allow us to be adventurous and independent students while ensuring our safety- he is enthusiastic, spirited, and one of the best teachers I’ve ever come across. Although sprightly, he gave us time to relax and enjoy the ambiance. Towards the end of the night, we watched an exquisite sunset and were invited to a bonfire by friends of Chris. He is not only a teacher, but a friend to his students and has great connections in the area. The entire experience was spectacular – I wish I could do it everyday!

Visited June 2012
Duluth, Minnesota
“surfing Montezuma area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

Chris Johnson with Montezuma Surf School is truly an awesome person and surf instructor. My 11yr. old daughter and I choose to spend our annual mother/daughter vacation surfing for an entire week in Montezuma. Chris was the 1st person I contacted regarding surfing the area and staying in the area. He was so so helpful in planning this adventure above and beyond the surfing aspect. We spent 7 days, 4-6 hours per day with Chris surfing various beaches in the area. He was amazing. His enthusiasm for the sport and his genuine concern that his students succeed is clear from the moment you meet him. Throughout the week he continued to coach my daughter and I on our advancing skills as well as introduce several families and couples to the great sport of surfing. He is so knowledgable about Costa Rica and specifically about the Montezuma area. We have decided to make surfing in Montezuma an annual event and I feel we have gained not only an awesome surf instructor but a great, life long friend.

Visited April 2012