“Surfing with Chris!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 18 Activities in Montezuma
Type: Water sports
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: From the moment many people ride their first wave, they are hooked for life. Our mission at Montezuma Surf is to Introduce, Educated, and Train all levels of Surfers from the vast knowledge we have acquired during Decades of Surfing . We offer Friendly, Certified, Bilingual Instruction, while focusing on your Comfort, Safety, and Satisfaction. At Montezuma Surf we pride ourselves on the level of commitment we have towards creating great Surf Adventures. The Southern Nicoya Peninsula, of Costa Rica, is a region unlike any other place on earth. When you arrive in this area, your senses will be flooded with natural beauty, and positive energy. Near the tip of the Peninsula is the slightly funky, and always lively town of Montezuma, a magical and unique Surf Destination. Being on a Peninsula is a great advantage for Surfing, as we can surf a wide variety of waves. And if the Surf is too small, too big, or too windy on one side of the Peninsula, we can usually find Perfect Surf on the other side.
Kingston, Jamaica
“Surfing with Chris!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Luckily, my friends and I met Chris while hitchhiking to Montezuma. We could immediately sense he had great energy and were eager to sign up for his surfing lessons. It was undoubtedly one of my best days on the Nicoya Peninsula- Chris drove us to Playa Hermosa in Santa Teresa, rated one of the best beaches in Costa Rica. It was the perfect environment for a launch into surfing – the waves were gentle and there were few rocks. Wide range

Chris began with a concise introduction to surfing techniques, which were then practiced in the water. He definitely met the individual needs of all the students. Those who were more at ease in the water were given more advanced advice while others needed more basic assistance.

He made sure to allow us to be adventurous and independent students while ensuring our safety- he is enthusiastic, spirited, and one of the best teachers I’ve ever come across. Although sprightly, he gave us time to relax and enjoy the ambiance. Towards the end of the night, we watched an exquisite sunset and were invited to a bonfire by friends of Chris. He is not only a teacher, but a friend to his students and has great connections in the area. The entire experience was spectacular – I wish I could do it everyday!

Visited June 2012

Duluth, Minnesota
“surfing Montezuma area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

Chris Johnson with Montezuma Surf School is truly an awesome person and surf instructor. My 11yr. old daughter and I choose to spend our annual mother/daughter vacation surfing for an entire week in Montezuma. Chris was the 1st person I contacted regarding surfing the area and staying in the area. He was so so helpful in planning this adventure above and beyond the surfing aspect. We spent 7 days, 4-6 hours per day with Chris surfing various beaches in the area. He was amazing. His enthusiasm for the sport and his genuine concern that his students succeed is clear from the moment you meet him. Throughout the week he continued to coach my daughter and I on our advancing skills as well as introduce several families and couples to the great sport of surfing. He is so knowledgable about Costa Rica and specifically about the Montezuma area. We have decided to make surfing in Montezuma an annual event and I feel we have gained not only an awesome surf instructor but a great, life long friend.

Visited April 2012
Escazu, Costa Rica
“Not only a great surf instructor, a great teacher”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

Prior to surfing with Chris I had only surfed one other time. I tried to surf without any instruction and it did not go so well. Chris not only got all of us (there were 5 newbies) up an surfing waves but I could tell by how efficiently he paced his instruction that he could have made a surfer out of any one of us in now time. Chris is not only very skilled at what he does but he has all of the professionalism and patience that it takes to be an excellent teacher. I am a teacher (albeit not a surf instructor) and Chris proved to me that he is not only an excellent surf instructor, but one of the best teachers I have ever had.

Highly recommended! Nobody will regret this, even if you've never thought of surfing before.

Visited April 2012
Burlington, VT
“Best Surfing lesson!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I had the greatest time surfing with Chris Johnson and his instructor Johan! It was my second lesson ever and it was so helpful. He was so focused on making sure each participant was having a good experience. His teaching on land was clear and his instruction in the water helped solidify my skills on the board. Then he built a bonfire on the beach at sunset which made for a great end to spectacular day. I highly recommend Montezuma surf school if you are looking for surf lessons in the area. Chris is a great guy who is fun to be around and is a great surf instructor.

Visited March 2012
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
“Highly Recommended for Anyone Coming to Montezuma Area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Chris is an amazing surf instructor. I had only attempted surfing once before, with marginal success. But with Chris I was riding waves to the beach halfway through the first lesson. Chris does an incredible job of alternating between the ocean and beach, so you get in the water quickly but have lots of time for personalized feedback while the waves aren’t crashing into you. This also has the added benefit of making sure you don’t wear yourself out too quickly and can surf all afternoon.

I had a blast my first day out and caught the surfing bug. I ended up scheduling three more lessons during my month in Montezuma. Chris will push you as hard as you want him to, and he is tailors each lesson to your skill level so it is both fun and challenging.

And of course, Chris is super fun to party with out in Montezuma. He knows everyone and welcomes his surfers into the Montezuma family.

Highly highly recommended for anyone coming to the Montezuma area, regardless of whether you were interested in surfing before. I took lessons with other families and with a group of friends, and everyone always had a great time. Thanks Chris!

Visited January 2012