“Best Surfing lesson!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 18 activities in Montezuma
Type: Water sports
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: From the moment many people ride their first wave, they are hooked for life. Our mission at Montezuma Surf is to Introduce, Educated, and Train all levels of Surfers from the vast knowledge we have acquired during Decades of Surfing . We offer Friendly, Certified, Bilingual Instruction, while focusing on your Comfort, Safety, and Satisfaction. At Montezuma Surf we pride ourselves on the level of commitment we have towards creating great Surf Adventures. The Southern Nicoya Peninsula, of Costa Rica, is a region unlike any other place on earth. When you arrive in this area, your senses will be flooded with natural beauty, and positive energy. Near the tip of the Peninsula is the slightly funky, and always lively town of Montezuma, a magical and unique Surf Destination. Being on a Peninsula is a great advantage for Surfing, as we can surf a wide variety of waves. And if the Surf is too small, too big, or too windy on one side of the Peninsula, we can usually find Perfect Surf on the other side.
Burlington, VT
“Best Surfing lesson!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I had the greatest time surfing with Chris Johnson and his instructor Johan! It was my second lesson ever and it was so helpful. He was so focused on making sure each participant was having a good experience. His teaching on land was clear and his instruction in the water helped solidify my skills on the board. Then he built a bonfire on the beach at sunset which made for a great end to spectacular day. I highly recommend Montezuma surf school if you are looking for surf lessons in the area. Chris is a great guy who is fun to be around and is a great surf instructor.

Visited March 2012

Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
“Highly Recommended for Anyone Coming to Montezuma Area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Chris is an amazing surf instructor. I had only attempted surfing once before, with marginal success. But with Chris I was riding waves to the beach halfway through the first lesson. Chris does an incredible job of alternating between the ocean and beach, so you get in the water quickly but have lots of time for personalized feedback while the waves aren’t crashing into you. This also has the added benefit of making sure you don’t wear yourself out too quickly and can surf all afternoon.

I had a blast my first day out and caught the surfing bug. I ended up scheduling three more lessons during my month in Montezuma. Chris will push you as hard as you want him to, and he is tailors each lesson to your skill level so it is both fun and challenging.

And of course, Chris is super fun to party with out in Montezuma. He knows everyone and welcomes his surfers into the Montezuma family.

Highly highly recommended for anyone coming to the Montezuma area, regardless of whether you were interested in surfing before. I took lessons with other families and with a group of friends, and everyone always had a great time. Thanks Chris!

Visited January 2012
“Cocolicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012 via mobile

We had a two day surf safari with Chris and we had an wonderfull time. We have learned a lot from him about surfing and he told us a lot about santa teresa and the surroundings. He also maked a lot of pictures during surfing. We had a hard time to say goodbye but next year we Will be back!

See ya and thanks a lot for everything!

Tessa and Lourens from Holland

Toronto, Canada
“a couple of 50-yr-olds surfing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

I'm not sure what I enjoyed more, learning to surf or hanging out with a genuinely nice guy, who loves what he does and is passionate about teaching it. Chris is a great teacher, safety conscious and right there with you until you are on the board. His experience and comfort in the water is also obvious in the way he helps select just the right wave for you, guides you with your timing, and encourages you with your technique.

Can't say enough good about him. I would do this again in a heartbeat.

Visited May 2012
NYC
“Incredible surf instructor teaching in paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Chris is one in a million. My entire family took lessons, and each and every one of us had an absolute blast. Chris was excellent with both of my boys (6 & 10), and spent just enough time helping my mildly ocean phobic wife feel comfortable enough to catch her first wave! Fantastic experience all around. So good that I went back three times in the week I was in Montezuma. Chris RULES!

Visited April 2012