“Awesome place and people and surf.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Proyecto Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montezuma
Proyecto Lodge
Save Saved
You added Proyecto Lodge to your Saves list
Montezuma Center | 100 Meters After Montezuma Waterfalls, Montezuma 506, Costa Rica   |
Tambor, Puntarenas, Costa Rica
“Awesome place and people and surf.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

My brother and I went to Montezuma to do some surfing and we ended up at renting some boards from the folks at Proyecto Montezuma. Their shop is located right on the main street at the lower part of town next to the beach and is easy to find. Not only did they hook us up with the right gear, they also drove us to the best surf break given the conditions. We were able to hang out with them and learn about other good areas to surf. They really made our experience, as we new nothing about the area.

We had previously spent some time in Santa Teresa, but as a beginner surfer I found the beach break extremely challenging. Bill and Kerri brought us to an awesome left handed point break that was much easier to paddle out and catch waves. Would definitely suggest hooking up with these people if you want to learn how to surf in Costa Rica.

They also run a non-profit organization that certifies volunteers to teach English so you can learn to surf, help the local community and become TEFL certified all at the same time. Highly recommended, thanks a lot!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
crgirlMaryland, Manager at Proyecto Lodge, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thanks so much for coming by the office and spending the day with us in the waves! We hope to see you back in paradise soon!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

A co-teacher and I took 18 students and two other chaperones to Proyecto Montezuma Lodge for their Spring Break. We were a group of 22 people in total. All school year we had been working with Kerri on a “perfect” itinerary for our groups needs, something that would include community service as well as allow us to tour Montezuma’s beautiful sights. When we finally arrived at the Proyecto Lodge, nothing prepared us for the amazing and overwhelming beauty of the Pacific Ocean’s surf repeatedly welcoming us to the Lodge, wave after wave. The Lodge is minimally equipped with fans for each room, sporadic wi-fi capability, and a bathroom for each room. But really, that is about all you need while you are visiting Paradise. Kerri and Bill will ensure that you have all your basic needs. Most of your time will be spent outdoors in the hammocks or around town touring. The rest of the staff of Proyecto Lodge seems to appear at every corner of town, whether you are on the way to surf, or hike, or zip line, or go to the beach, you are sure to run into Andre, La Tia, Bombi, Chassis, Rainer, Edgar, Sarah, and Maki. Kerri is incredibly professional and will go above and beyond to ensure your happiness while visiting. Her staff is amazingly supportive and gracious. The chefs, Maki and Sarah, cooked typical Costa Rican food that was delicious and filled us. And somehow, they were able to feed all 22 of us at the same time, allowing for some great bonding experiences. We are already planning our next trip to Proyecto Lodge to experience more time in Paradise. We miss our new friends we made in Montezuma and thank all of them for making our time there so extra special.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
travellikecrazy18, Manager at Proyecto Lodge, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for the great review! We had an amazing experience with your group and hope to see you all back soon! Thanks for the compliments about Proyecto's staff, that really means a lot. We all try extremely hard to please!

We look forward to planning more group trips with you!
Saint Petersburg, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I went there with my friends from school for 8 days during Spring Break. At the moment when I first stepped in, there was a big board said: "Welcome AFA to paradise", came along with the smile of Kerri and Vill - the co-founders of the Lodge. As that board said, 5 days in Proyecto Montezuma were not only so paradisaical, chill and relaxing, but also kinda busy with Spanish Class and Hiking, Surfing School and Zip-Lining. We were instructed by staffs of the Lodge who was so friendly and enthusiastic. And so do the chefs! Everyday Maki and Sarah made such the awesome meals for us - a group of 22 people. Especially in our last evening in Proyecto Montezuma, we were served a BBQ dinner and fire dance. That was the most impressed fire dance I've ever since. I am glad I have been there. If I have a chance, I would come to Proyecto Montezuma again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for the review and we really hope you to come back and join us soon! Sarah and Maki thank you for the nice words about the meals too! Your group was so much fun! Come back and join us and thanks for nice review!
seminole
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

I came here with some of my friends from school for a Spring Break trip and it was really fun. At night we hung out upstairs on the deck and during the day, if we weren't busy, we would relax on the hammocks over looking the ocean. The lodge has a great view and an excellent staff. Bill and kerri are so much fun. The chef and Sara were great too, amazing food. I had the best time of my life here and I wish I could do it all over again. My room was small and hot but you don't spend anytime in it except to sleep and shower so I am not even going to complain about it. I would stay at this lodge every time I came to Costa Rica. So much fun. Thank you Kerri and bill!!

• Stayed March 2013
Your group was so much fun! We really hope to see you all back in paradise soon! Maki and Sarah thank you for the comment about the food too! Thanks for joining us in paradise and for the kind review!
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

When I discovered that I could get my TEFL certificate while living on the beach in Costa Rica, I knew where I would be spending one month of the Canadian winter! I enjoyed living in the Proyecto Montezuma beach house and swimming every day in both the ocean and a lovely little fresh water pool just a couple minutes down the road. Kerri infuses the TEFL course with so much energy and enthusiam that I looked forward to my hours in class (which are held outside on the teraza, with a view of the ocean). My fellow classmates came from Canada, Germany and Italy and we bonded over lexical chunks and gallo pinto. :) We were able to put our theory into practice in a nearby elementary school and with adult students who came to the lodge for lessons. If you want to teach EFL or ESL, this is a perfect place to get certified!

Room Tip: The beach house is rustic, which is part of what makes it a fun place to live. The rooms on the sec...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
You are so great! Thanks for the great (and funny!) review! We love your title! It was a pleasure learning and growing with you in paradise! We wish you the best with your travels and in the future! Please come back and visit us soon!
Montezuma, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I first stayed at the Proyecto Montezuma Lodge almost 2 years ago when I did my TEFL certification and of all the places i've stayed in Costa Rica, it is by far the best. The lodge is situated on the most beautiful part of the coast and is just steps away from the most amazing natural tide pools i've ever experienced. Kerri and Vil run the lodge as well as a nonprofit organization that provides locals of all ages with free english classes. They can set you up with anything from surf lessons to quad rentals all the while giving back to the community. I couldn't recommend a better place to stay than here as they made my trip a memorable one. And take advantage of the meal plans they offer. Their chef is amazing!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thanks for the great review! You are right to comment on the chefs at Proyecto Lodge! We are so lucky to have Maki's Restaurant now at Proyecto Lodge.

New guests: Please inquire about breakfast and meal plan options! You will be glad you did!
Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Proyecto Montezuma is the most magical place I have ever stayed travelling. The location of the lodge right next to tide pools which are warm enough to swim in day and night makes it the perfect place to come and enjoy the natural beauty of Montezuma. Kerri and Bill, the couple that run the lodge, are one of the most incredible couples I have ever met. Kerri runs free English classes for the local residents and facilitates service opportunities for people who are interested who stay at the lodge. Bill is a street wise Tico, with a super calm and loving demeanor. They are incredible hosts and always look after the guests well. If you have the good fortune to end up at this guest house you can thank your lucky stars in the tide pools at night!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Thanks Beth!
We hope to see you back in paradise soon to start the yoga vision!
Your energy and kind words really mean a lot to us!
Kerri and Vill

Been to Proyecto Lodge? Share your experiences!