“My home away from home!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Proyecto Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montezuma
Proyecto Lodge
You added Proyecto Lodge to your Saves list
Montezuma Center | 100 Meters After Montezuma Waterfalls, Montezuma 506, Costa Rica   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“My home away from home!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I came to Costa Rica in the winter for my first trip by myself and I feel like I couldn't have chosen a better place/program! I participated in the TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) program for one month and then I stayed for another two to teach some local adults and in the Cabuya school.

I think the best way to write a review will be to break it into sections, so here I go:

THE LODGE:
I personally loved the lodge! It's not very hard to adjust to looking at the beach from a hammock, or working/ eating at the big wooden table with the ocean breeze hitting you. (Because the patio is on the backside of the lodge it tends to feel so much cooler than when you are walking on the road to the town).

As for the rooms, they are all fairly basic with cold water showers and indoor plumbing. When I was there all the rooms had mosquito netting on the windows except the one of the rooms upstairs (that may have changed now) but that room did have a net around the bed. There is also Wifi, but it is sometimes unreliable because the electricity tends to go out for a few minutes some nights.

The cleanliness of the Lodge always varied depending on the guests' abilities to clean up after themselves, but usually it wasn't too bad.

There are some cool little pools (as shown in the profile picture) that warm up in the sun and are quite nice as long as you don't mind it feeling like there is carpet under your toes! One night I was in one of the pools and I had the awesome experience of seeing Bioluminescent Algae!

The Lodge is about a ten minute walk from the town which I personally preferred because it can get quite loud at night down there!

TEFL COURSE:
I highly recommend this course as it only takes a month and you get a life long certification out of it! Kerri is a great teacher and the course is quite relaxed. You learn an assortment of things such as classroom management, types of learning/teaching styles and lesson planning. After that, you get to teach in front of your peers four times so you can learn what you need to work on and what you are awesome at. If you are worried about not knowing Spanish, it is definitely not an necessity! I have some knowledge of Spanish so I did use it to my advantage, but I met a few people who knew absolutely none and they made marvelous teachers!

SPANISH CLASS:
I took some Spanish classes for the first couple months and had both Vill and Edgar as teachers. They both have different styles, so you may find one works better for you, but I enjoyed both and learned a lot.

THE ACTIVITIES:
When I first got there I had paid for a few of these which was a good way to spend my time before I met many people. I did the zip-lining, horse back riding, Isla Tortuga and the surfing.
My surf instructor was Mayol, and he is fantastic! He is great at explaining the technical aspects and he is very, very patient (even if you are horrible at it). Haha.

Also, I think it is a very good idea to book the shuttle through Vill and Kerri if you are coming straight from the airport in Alajuela (SJO).

TEACHING:
This was such a great life experience and I can't wait to go teach in more places! I really enjoyed teaching small groups of adults who were eager to learn and who became some of my good friends. Teaching in the public school was also very enjoyable but more of a time commitment as far as lesson planning goes as it is harder to think of ways to teach grammar to a big class of kids. But, don't let that scare you away because all the kids are so adorable it makes it all worth it. And bring stickers- they go crazy for stickers!

KERRI AND VILL:
They were so helpful and friendly they made my stay there feel like my home away from home!

CONCLUSION:
So, what I'm trying to get across here is the Lodge is basic but comfortable; the TEFL and other activities are awesome and I highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
travellikecrazy18, Manager at Proyecto Lodge, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thanks so much!!! We have your room ready-and-waiting for you when you come back to paradise!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Montezuma, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

The lodge sits on the most beautiful chunk of property in all of Montezuma area...private tide pools, beaches, large trees, beautiful wildlife...all in your backyard. Kerri & Vill are very laid back, kind, helpful people.......setting you at ease as soon as you arrive. You are a short walk from downtown Montezuma and an even shorter walk to the beautiful waterfalls Montezuma is so well known for. Another benefit of this lodge is it has both a kitchen and a washing machine for use which definitely helps cut down on expenses if need be. I could not recommend this place enough - a perfect retreat!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Thanks so much! Your support really helps us grow! Pura Vida!!
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

My friend and I absolutely fell in love with the Proyecto Lodge at the moment we saw it !!!
First we really loved the location; we liked that its about 5 or 10 minutes walk from the village (more quiet). Its so calm during the night (the only thing we hear is the sound of the waves and of the animals around the house ! So nice !). Also, we just loved our private beach and private swimming pool :) ! If you like hiking, there are waterfalls in Montezuma and the trail begins maybe 2 minutes walk from the lodge !
Second, we loved how the lodge is made; big kitchen where you have everything to cook, very big rooms and bathrooms, large balcony, hammocks, big table outside, cute chillin areas ! We had everthing we needed.
But what we loved the most was Kerri, Vill and Zoe (the managers of the lodge) !!!! Generous, very nice and very helpful people !!!! They are awesome and always there to answer your questions with a smile !! They make you feel very confortable and safe and they make your staying in Montezuma so much better !!!
I cant wait to come back in Montezuma and sure if I do I will come back at the Proyecto Lodge ! :)

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

This place is all about the location and the people. Your garden is a beach and if you don't fancy getting sand in your pants - on the other side, there's rock pools to chill in once the sun has heated them up in the day (I've added a 'swimming pool' rating - this is why!!!).
The owners, Kerrie & Vill are so helpful and make you feel like you're part of the family instantly and will also sort out surf lessons (with guys who are simply amazing!), yoga, transport etc and also give good recommendations on where to eat / what to do etc.
In terms of the rooms - my boyfriend and I stayed in a ground floor private double with en suite. The room was basic - but clean. It had everything we needed but wasn't the most comfortable bed in the world and the heat was crazy while we were there. It's cold water showers, which is all you'd ever want there.
The facilities are good - with a well equipped kitchen and DIY laundry and wifi (doesn't always work though but that's a montezuma thing I think with random second long power cuts now and again!).
Location wise, it's c.5-10mins walk out of the centre of Montezuma, close to the waterfalls which was great for us.
In summary - I'd say that while the rooms aren't anything special - the beachside location, chillout areas filled with hammocks and people more than make up for it. I can't wait to get back!!!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much! Just let us know when you are coming back!!!
Grand Bahama Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

I stayed for about three weeks at the Proyecto Lodge and loved every bit of it. They have private rooms as well as dorm rooms to choose from. The location is a couple minutes walk from town which makes it very quiet with a beautiful private green garden facing the ocean. There is a direct access to a little beach and if you walk 3 minutes there is a freshwater swimminghole and the trail which takes you to the waterfalls.
Kerri and Vill, who run the Proyecto Lodge, are amazing and can organise everything from Spanish classes to surf lessons. The great thing it, that this place is a non-profit organisation and they use their income to teach English at local schools. And if you want to volunteer or teach English yourself you can do that as well.
So if you're looking for a place to relax where you can wake up to the sound of the waves this is a perfect spot!!! It's also great to meet new people if you're travelling alone. I'll definitely go back there!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

We had a great experience at Proyecto and stayed there for a full month. Cool hostel in a perfect location. The view is better than most five star resorts. Kerri and Vill are a great couple who will help with any information or recommendations. We were able to book tours for a discount too. I'd stay again in a heartbeat. You'll love the relaxed hippie vibe right on the beach. If possible, ask for an upstairs room.

• Stayed January 2012
Tutukaka, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

We found this place on a whim - We met Bill (one of the owners) whilst walking through the town centre - we were staying at a different hotel at the time but were looking for something for a week so we wanted a kitchen and somewhere more relaxed with a homely feel. Bill told us he had a place for us and to come back at 8pm and he'll take us there!

He took us there later that night and I wanted to move in straight away, our room was the first on the top floor - it is massive with a large double bed, plenty of storage area, lots of windows that look out to the ocean and our own bathroom (which is shared with the room next door). The best part is the deck complete with comfy chairs and a hammock - a perfect spot for reading, meditating, yoga etc.. (which they had every Tuesday and Thursday while we were there) and the view - simply outstanding! Even better was the natural swimming pools a few steps from the house, for us life didn't get much better!

Spanish lessons were held at the lodge while we were there which was great, I took advantage of a few lessons from Bill (awesome teacher) whilst my boyfriend went out surfing with the boards rented from Proyecto's tour office - where you can also book numerous other tours, horse riding, surf lessons, ATV's etc.. they also organised a rental car for us which we took to Samara Beach for 2 nights. The owners Bill and Kerri - are beautiful people with an awesome outlook on life, they made us feel like part of the family. The volunteers, friends and other students staying at the hostel have now become life long friends.. All in all such an amazing time in Montezuma - we are now in Bolivia and nearing the end of our 6 month trip but everytime we meet people who are going up to Costa Rica we always recommend Proyecto Montezuma as the only place to stay in Montezuma! Thank you guys for making those 7 days in Montezuma such a memorable experience for us and hopefully one day we can come back - it really is our home away from home...

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
travellikecrazy18, Manager at Proyecto Lodge, responded to this review, December 4, 2011
Thanks so much! You are right, Proyecto Lodge is your home away from home! We can't wait to see you back in paradise! The natural swimming hole and great room upstairs is always waiting for you! Pura Vida!

Been to Proyecto Lodge? Share your experiences!