“I miss this place so much!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Proyecto Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montezuma
Proyecto Lodge
You added Proyecto Lodge to your Saves list
Montezuma Center | 100 Meters After Montezuma Waterfalls, Montezuma 506, Costa Rica   |
Manchester
“I miss this place so much!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

This place is all about the location and the people. Your garden is a beach and if you don't fancy getting sand in your pants - on the other side, there's rock pools to chill in once the sun has heated them up in the day (I've added a 'swimming pool' rating - this is why!!!).
The owners, Kerrie & Vill are so helpful and make you feel like you're part of the family instantly and will also sort out surf lessons (with guys who are simply amazing!), yoga, transport etc and also give good recommendations on where to eat / what to do etc.
In terms of the rooms - my boyfriend and I stayed in a ground floor private double with en suite. The room was basic - but clean. It had everything we needed but wasn't the most comfortable bed in the world and the heat was crazy while we were there. It's cold water showers, which is all you'd ever want there.
The facilities are good - with a well equipped kitchen and DIY laundry and wifi (doesn't always work though but that's a montezuma thing I think with random second long power cuts now and again!).
Location wise, it's c.5-10mins walk out of the centre of Montezuma, close to the waterfalls which was great for us.
In summary - I'd say that while the rooms aren't anything special - the beachside location, chillout areas filled with hammocks and people more than make up for it. I can't wait to get back!!!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
travellikecrazy18, Manager at Proyecto Lodge, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thanks so much! Just let us know when you are coming back!!!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Grand Bahama Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

I stayed for about three weeks at the Proyecto Lodge and loved every bit of it. They have private rooms as well as dorm rooms to choose from. The location is a couple minutes walk from town which makes it very quiet with a beautiful private green garden facing the ocean. There is a direct access to a little beach and if you walk 3 minutes there is a freshwater swimminghole and the trail which takes you to the waterfalls.
Kerri and Vill, who run the Proyecto Lodge, are amazing and can organise everything from Spanish classes to surf lessons. The great thing it, that this place is a non-profit organisation and they use their income to teach English at local schools. And if you want to volunteer or teach English yourself you can do that as well.
So if you're looking for a place to relax where you can wake up to the sound of the waves this is a perfect spot!!! It's also great to meet new people if you're travelling alone. I'll definitely go back there!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012 via mobile

We had a great experience at Proyecto and stayed there for a full month. Cool hostel in a perfect location. The view is better than most five star resorts. Kerri and Vill are a great couple who will help with any information or recommendations. We were able to book tours for a discount too. I'd stay again in a heartbeat. You'll love the relaxed hippie vibe right on the beach. If possible, ask for an upstairs room.

• Stayed January 2012
Tutukaka, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

We found this place on a whim - We met Bill (one of the owners) whilst walking through the town centre - we were staying at a different hotel at the time but were looking for something for a week so we wanted a kitchen and somewhere more relaxed with a homely feel. Bill told us he had a place for us and to come back at 8pm and he'll take us there!

He took us there later that night and I wanted to move in straight away, our room was the first on the top floor - it is massive with a large double bed, plenty of storage area, lots of windows that look out to the ocean and our own bathroom (which is shared with the room next door). The best part is the deck complete with comfy chairs and a hammock - a perfect spot for reading, meditating, yoga etc.. (which they had every Tuesday and Thursday while we were there) and the view - simply outstanding! Even better was the natural swimming pools a few steps from the house, for us life didn't get much better!

Spanish lessons were held at the lodge while we were there which was great, I took advantage of a few lessons from Bill (awesome teacher) whilst my boyfriend went out surfing with the boards rented from Proyecto's tour office - where you can also book numerous other tours, horse riding, surf lessons, ATV's etc.. they also organised a rental car for us which we took to Samara Beach for 2 nights. The owners Bill and Kerri - are beautiful people with an awesome outlook on life, they made us feel like part of the family. The volunteers, friends and other students staying at the hostel have now become life long friends.. All in all such an amazing time in Montezuma - we are now in Bolivia and nearing the end of our 6 month trip but everytime we meet people who are going up to Costa Rica we always recommend Proyecto Montezuma as the only place to stay in Montezuma! Thank you guys for making those 7 days in Montezuma such a memorable experience for us and hopefully one day we can come back - it really is our home away from home...

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
travellikecrazy18, Manager at Proyecto Lodge, responded to this review, December 4, 2011
Thanks so much! You are right, Proyecto Lodge is your home away from home! We can't wait to see you back in paradise! The natural swimming hole and great room upstairs is always waiting for you! Pura Vida!
Tubingen, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

This is a beautiful place -about 10 minutes to walk from the "centre", with a great view and very friendly and helpful people. The rooms are big and clean, und only the monkeys can keep you away from having a good sleep. But the very special und incredible Bonus is the natural pool in the rocks, where each flood brings new water, and you can sit in the night, watching the stars and the marine phosphorescence......
We dream of coming back... W&G

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
travellikecrazy18, Manager at Proyecto Lodge, responded to this review, October 21, 2011
Thanks for your review and support! We hope you both can join us back in paradise soon. The natural swimming pools and the monkeys will be waiting for you! Thanks again!
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

This is a great spot for travelers who are interested in being welcomed by locals and other travelers alike. Best of all It's a breeding ground for new friendships for all ages as long as you've got spirit.

The rooms are simple and basic (essentials only) but clean and spacious with large windows and an ocean breeze. Some have private bathrooms and some are shared. Make sure you ask ahead to be sure you will get what you want. There are two floors with just a few rooms on each floor for an intimate feel.

I am a 28 y.o female and I traveled alone to Proyecto in Montezuma and I felt very safe. The Staff met me in town to help me bring my stuff to the hotel. They were friendly and I instantly felt comfortable. While I was there the age range of the guests were from 22 to ... (ok I won't make guesses on people's ages)... but it was a good range. All ages can feel comfortable here.

The lodge is a short walk from the center of town, but pushed back enough to be quiet. As mentioned the rooms and were beach style lodge rooms. Clean and spacious but simple. I arrived at night and could not see the yard well when I arrived. I awoke to the sound of the ocean. Upon going outside for the first time in the daylight, I was stunned. It is the most beautiful view I've ever seen...a much better view than luxury hotels I have stayed at in the past. The back yard has a patio with a communal table where other travelers, volunteers, and often some of the locals (friends and employees of the owners) come to hang out or have some food.( If you opt for the paid meals you won't be disappointed. Pai is an excellent cook!).

If you are looking for a little secluded area of sand near the water, look no further than your back yard. Just go down the steps on the left and lay your towel down to soak up some sun.. you'll probably be the only one there.... Looking to take a calm swim in the warm water of natural rock pools? just go down the path on the right and jump in...again.. you're likely to be all alone..

Looking for activities? The staff here are happy to help you book the best tours in the area. (They also run an office in the center of town providing tours). Their business is non-profit that helps run their English School for local kids and adults who can attend free of charge. They also hold a summer camp for local children when school is out of session. Don't forget to take surf lessons, they have the best instructors in Montezuma.

Need to brush up on your spanish? No problem. Spanish lessons are available for all levels. I took lessons for a week. It helped me to learn more about the local dialect. A friend I met there took beginner lessons and it helped her get a good grasp on the basics.

If you are interested in volunteer oportunities this is also a great place to be. Check out their website for more info on opportunities. I taught English at Proyecto Montezma (Montezuma Project) and it was a very rewarding experience. A friend I met there volunteered in a nearby medical clinic. They also have connections with a local sea turtle conservation group.

The main reason for my trip was to volunteer and do a little sight-seeing but it turned into so much more. I credit the owners, staff, and the family-like atmosphere they create. I will definitely return.

Come once and I guarantee you will be planning your next trip back before you even leave.

Happy Traveling!

Room Tip: Just tell the staff your needs and they'll make sure you know what you are getting. There is a...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Thanks so much for your review! We hope more people will find us to enjoy the beauty of Montezuma and to participate in Spanish Immersion, Surf School, Volunteerism, and more fun tours and activities. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at Proyecto Lodge, volunteering with Proyecto Montezuma and studying Spanish. We hope to see you back in paradise soon!
Matawan, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

Definitely a great place to stay! The owners of the Proyecto Lodge are the nicest people you will ever meet. They will go out of their way to help you not only with your stay, but in learning about things to do in Montezuma and the surrounding areas. The lodge is on the sand and steps from the main part of town. Everything is very clean and kept well. There are classes held in the front part of the lodge in the afternoon for part of the year, however you will want to be up and enjoying your day by the time they start, and in my opinion, adds to your experience - definitely not a nuisance.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Proyecto Lodge? Share your experiences!