“Make New friends, Meet Locals, Friendly Staff, Most Amazing Ocean View you Have Ever Seen.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Proyecto Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montezuma
Proyecto Lodge
Save Saved
You added Proyecto Lodge to your Saves list
Montezuma Center | 100 Meters After Montezuma Waterfalls, Montezuma 506, Costa Rica   |
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

This is a great spot for travelers who are interested in being welcomed by locals and other travelers alike. Best of all It's a breeding ground for new friendships for all ages as long as you've got spirit.

The rooms are simple and basic (essentials only) but clean and spacious with large windows and an ocean breeze. Some have private bathrooms and some are shared. Make sure you ask ahead to be sure you will get what you want. There are two floors with just a few rooms on each floor for an intimate feel.

I am a 28 y.o female and I traveled alone to Proyecto in Montezuma and I felt very safe. The Staff met me in town to help me bring my stuff to the hotel. They were friendly and I instantly felt comfortable. While I was there the age range of the guests were from 22 to ... (ok I won't make guesses on people's ages)... but it was a good range. All ages can feel comfortable here.

The lodge is a short walk from the center of town, but pushed back enough to be quiet. As mentioned the rooms and were beach style lodge rooms. Clean and spacious but simple. I arrived at night and could not see the yard well when I arrived. I awoke to the sound of the ocean. Upon going outside for the first time in the daylight, I was stunned. It is the most beautiful view I've ever seen...a much better view than luxury hotels I have stayed at in the past. The back yard has a patio with a communal table where other travelers, volunteers, and often some of the locals (friends and employees of the owners) come to hang out or have some food.( If you opt for the paid meals you won't be disappointed. Pai is an excellent cook!).

If you are looking for a little secluded area of sand near the water, look no further than your back yard. Just go down the steps on the left and lay your towel down to soak up some sun.. you'll probably be the only one there.... Looking to take a calm swim in the warm water of natural rock pools? just go down the path on the right and jump in...again.. you're likely to be all alone..

Looking for activities? The staff here are happy to help you book the best tours in the area. (They also run an office in the center of town providing tours). Their business is non-profit that helps run their English School for local kids and adults who can attend free of charge. They also hold a summer camp for local children when school is out of session. Don't forget to take surf lessons, they have the best instructors in Montezuma.

Need to brush up on your spanish? No problem. Spanish lessons are available for all levels. I took lessons for a week. It helped me to learn more about the local dialect. A friend I met there took beginner lessons and it helped her get a good grasp on the basics.

If you are interested in volunteer oportunities this is also a great place to be. Check out their website for more info on opportunities. I taught English at Proyecto Montezma (Montezuma Project) and it was a very rewarding experience. A friend I met there volunteered in a nearby medical clinic. They also have connections with a local sea turtle conservation group.

The main reason for my trip was to volunteer and do a little sight-seeing but it turned into so much more. I credit the owners, staff, and the family-like atmosphere they create. I will definitely return.

Come once and I guarantee you will be planning your next trip back before you even leave.

Happy Traveling!

Room Tip: Just tell the staff your needs and they'll make sure you know what you are getting. There is a...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
travellikecrazy18, Manager at Proyecto Lodge, responded to this review, October 21, 2011
Thanks so much for your review! We hope more people will find us to enjoy the beauty of Montezuma and to participate in Spanish Immersion, Surf School, Volunteerism, and more fun tours and activities. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at Proyecto Lodge, volunteering with Proyecto Montezuma and studying Spanish. We hope to see you back in paradise soon!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Matawan, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

Definitely a great place to stay! The owners of the Proyecto Lodge are the nicest people you will ever meet. They will go out of their way to help you not only with your stay, but in learning about things to do in Montezuma and the surrounding areas. The lodge is on the sand and steps from the main part of town. Everything is very clean and kept well. There are classes held in the front part of the lodge in the afternoon for part of the year, however you will want to be up and enjoying your day by the time they start, and in my opinion, adds to your experience - definitely not a nuisance.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

Proyecto is the perfect place to stay if your traveling alone or with friends. It has an amazing porch with hammocks, beautiful view, steps from the beach, and access to all types of tours you would want to do in Costa Rica. There is a kitchen if you would like to cook, and the bedroom has air conditioning (very important for good sleep)!! You can also rent surf boards, take surf lessons, Spanish lessons, and book transportation. They are also right next to one of the best sushi places I've ever been and they have a volleyball court. I highly recommend and will defiantly go back.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Bel Air, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

Went to Costa Rica for 2 months stayed at the lodge for a month and it was amazing! I met some really nice people while staying there and would come back in a heartbeat! Kerri and Bill were amazing hosts, received my TEFL certificate and took spanish classes while there. Loved every minute of my stay! Would suggest to anyone who asks where to stay while in Montezuma!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo

Been to Proyecto Lodge? Share your experiences!