“Didn't know how great until I tried another” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 18 Activities in Montezuma
Type: Surf Camps
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Peaks 'n Swells Surf Camp provides incredible, one of a kind beachfront lodging, top surf instructors and sought-after yoga instructors to deliver a high performance surf camp in an uncrowded and stunning part of Costa Rica. Peaks offers a fast track surf experience for those wanting to progress in their surfing or beginners who are serious about wanting to learn to surf. The small camp sizes in an uncrowded area offering a variety of surf breaks will ensure an unintimidating and true surfing experience. Live your dream! Surf with Peaks 'n Swells!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 attraction reviews
“Didn't know how great until I tried another”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Our family had an amazing experience learning to surf here in 2013 from Hillary and her team of professional instructors. That trip ranks as the best family vacation we have ever had. All four of us learned to surf: mom, dad, 13-yr-old daughter and 10-yr-old daughter. Two years later, I tried another surf school a little closer, in Puerto Rico. Now that I've attended two surf schools, I can say with authority that Peaks 'n Swells is a significant cut above the norm in terms of professionalism and dedication. The team takes care of every meaningful detail so you can focus on learning to surf and having fun. The people are just fantastic to be spend time with. We are planning to return to Peaks 'n Swells as soon as we can.

Visited May 2013

Boca Raton, Florida, United States
11 attraction reviews
“Family Surf Vacation in Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

As first time surfers (and full time computer geeks), I was a bit nervous about taking my family on a surf vacation. What if we didn’t like surfing, what would we do then? What would my boys of 6 and 8 do if they couldn’t do it? Fortunately, I didn’t really need to be worried about that at all. The whole family was new to surfing and loved it! The coaches are such great teachers and look for the right waves for everyone. Every member of our family was up riding waves, not just the first day, but in the first few waves.
The coaches and staff think of everything to make your surf experience magnificent! When visiting the beach, they bring towels, snacks, drinks, shade and anything you might need. They play with kids who are tired of surfing while you get to keep going. They encourage you repeatedly and give helpful hints. The pictures and video taken is so useful when learning because you can see everything that you need to do to improve. The personalized coaching made such a difference.
I’ll touch on a few other areas about the trip as well.
Accommodation:
We stayed in a perfect little cottage. There was a great bedroom upstairs for the kids and privacy for mom and dad. It had great ocean views and a wonderful porch. The porch had a nice sized table and chairs and a comfy hammock. It was just far enough away from the action to have a bit of privacy without feeling too far away. The room was cleaned daily and always felt fresh and wonderful after our surf.

Food/Drinks:
To call the food amazing is an understatement. Each night snacks were provided before dinner, usually an addictive salsa with chips and other nibbles with drinks. The mango salsa was my favorite. The drinks ranged from local Costa Rican beer to mojitos to Pina Coladas. There was something for everyone. Fresh tropical fruit and wonderful vegetables and salads were part of every meal. The food was so healthy and delicious; I didn’t feel bad indulging in the desserts. The Coconut Flan melted in your mouth!
My kids are some of the world’s pickiest eaters and they even prepared special options for them at many meals so they would have something to eat that they liked.

Location:
The town of Montezuma was super cute and just a 5 minute walk on a nice beach from the camp. My kids loved the daily trek into town for a smoothie or a gelato. The waterfall is a 10 minute walk from town and about a 20 minute hike with the kids after that. It was a wonderful and refreshing outing.

Grounds:
The gardens on this property are well kept and covered with beautiful flowering plants. It is like a picture postcard. The pool was warm and cleaned daily. Fresh towels were always available. There was tons of wildlife around as well. One night we saw about 10-12 white faced monkeys in a palm tree near the pool. There were daily iguana sightings and lots of other animals.

Yoga:
The daily yoga really stretched my muscles out and by the end of the week I was more limber than when I arrived. Dagmar was a wonderful teacher and I am already downloading some of her videos to keep practicing at home.

Staff:
The entire staff was warm, genuine, and truly a pleasure to be around. I feel like I left Costa Rica with a bunch of new friends.

Overall, It was a wonderful experience and a real vacation. I would highly recommend it.

Stowe, Vermont
“Couldn't have been better!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Just returned from an 8 day surf camp with 8 other women and wish I could go back for a spring session!! Having never surfed before and very little experience in the ocean, I had success with surfing and made friends with those powerful ocean waves!
I found myself waking up naturally at 5:45 every morning just out of pure excitement to start the days activities (at home in VT I would sleep until 9 if I could!)!! So fun waking up to the warm air, the jungle sounds and the waves crashing just footsteps from my Treehouse balcony. And then to meet up with friends at the table for costa rican coffee and fresh fruit and granola etc.
The Peaks n Swells crew made us feel so very welcome and felt like friends right away! The coaches were so helpful - I had the opportunity to learn from 3 different coaches who all helped me through my doubts and fears and got me up surfing the green waves (which I really wasn't sure would happen!). Watching videos and seeing photographs at cocktail hour each evening was so much fun, but also so helpful to learn what could be improved the next day.
The food was amazing and I find myself eating better and craving Pinto Gallo and Peaks n Swells salads now that I'm back in VT! My kids are enjoying Peaks n Swells style lunches and are wondering when they get to go surf the green waves!
So many things to say and share about this truly unique surf camp - Amazing coaches who feel like old friends and such friendly and talented chefs! I think Hillary and Ryan and Karen have such an amazing thing going and I feel so lucky to have experienced it with such a great group of women!

“Heaven!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

WOW!!! This was one of the most life changing vacations I have ever taken. I went to Peaks n Swells with 8 friends to learn to surf, relax and recharge. We all left our husbands and children at home and yes, we missed them, but PNS provided me with the opportunity to be "me" again, I haven't been that relaxed in years! Everything is taken care of, from the amazing food, to the stunning accommodations to the fun and exciting surfing. I had never surfed before and I am hooked! Everything about this place was perfect. We are already planning our next trip down there and we haven't even been home for a full week.I would recommend this to families and friends without hesitation.

3 attraction reviews
“AMAZING PLACE!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

I just returned from a second trip to Peaks N Swells Surf Camp with 8 other 40-50 yr old moms. We all had an amazing time at this beautiful, welcoming, relaxing yet energizing place. Daily morning surf sessions with awesome coaches at some of the most amazing beaches and point breaks made for an incredible way to start every day. Leaving our duties behind and being pampered the way we were was such a treat. The food is incredible and healthy, the property that you come back to after surfing or a hike or a trip to town does indeed feel like a secret oasis - amazing pool, gardens, hammocks - bliss! The nine of us had such a great time we are already beginning to make noises about booking the next trip! If our families are lucky maybe we will bring them sometime too. I hear the family camps are amazing as well. 100% worth the trip..again and again and again!!!