“Family Trip of a Lifetime!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 18 Activities in Montezuma
Type: Surf Camps, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Peaks 'n Swells Surf Camp provides incredible, one of a kind beachfront lodging, top surf instructors and sought-after yoga instructors to deliver a high performance surf camp in an uncrowded and stunning part of Costa Rica. Peaks offers a fast track surf experience for those wanting to progress in their surfing or beginners who are serious about wanting to learn to surf. The small camp sizes in an uncrowded area offering a variety of surf breaks will ensure an unintimidating and true surfing experience. Live your dream! Surf with Peaks 'n Swells!
Newport, Rhode Island
“Family Trip of a Lifetime!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012 via mobile

We recently returned from a week at Peaks n' Swells and can't say enough good things about the experience. Fantastic food, excellent instruction - all in a beautiful and lush setting. By the end of the week, given the boutique nature of the camp, every person on staff - Hillary, Karen, Chitsa, Darwin, Josie, Lorraine, Vas - felt like family. The instructors - Martin, Gemma, Chris - were fantastic, combining technique, safety, positive reinforcement and love for the sport. We were all raw beginners and all (even our nine-year-old) were able to get up on the first day. To cap everything, Karen took beautiful photos to document our adventure. We loved every minute and can't wait to return!

Pemberton, British Columbia, Canada
“Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

My time at Peaks N Swells Surf Camp was incredible and life changing. The beachfront accommodations were breathtaking, the sounds of the ocean lulled me to sleep each night and the birds and howler monkeys woke me each morning.

Great location, just a 10 minute walk down the beach to the town of Montezuma and short hIke to the waterfall.

Meals were delicious, healthy and fresh.

Learn to surf was fast tracked with amazing instructors and small group sizes. Chris and Martin were so knowledgeable, positive and encouraging both on the beach and in the water.

Daily yoga was calming and inspirational and helped with flexibility and healing. At home I have continued with a daily yoga practice to help me balance my mind, body and spirit.

We ended each day with happy hour around the pool with fresh snacks and to bed early each night to get up and do it all over again.

Thank you to Hillary for being such a great host and transporting us to amazing surf breaks on the Nicoya Peninsula, it is a beautiful place and I will be back either this Fall or early 2013. I am addicated to surfing and Costa Rica!

Visited March 2012
Washington, D.C.
“Amazing surf camp!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

If you want the best accommodations, the best surf instructors, the best hosts and the best vacation ever, then Peaks 'N Swells is the the place for you. It is essentially a "boutique" surf camp, and you will not believe the level of service and personal attention provided. We booked Peaks 'N Swells to celebrate my husband's birthday, because it has always been his dream to surf. Our 13 year old was gung ho as well. Sadly, our 10 year old and I had no interest in surfing and were basically afraid of the ocean. Amazingly, we all surfed (got up the first day), learned a lot, and had an extraordinary time. The camp is structured so that there is one coach or helper per one or two students. The two professional coaches are the best in the Nicoya peninsula. They both run their own surf businesses, but coach Peaks 'N Swells when camp is in session. The coaches were so skillful and supportive that I never felt out of my comfort zone. An added bonus is that we came home with hundreds of amazing photos without ever having to take our camera to the beach (and risk getting it sandy or stolen), because a professional photographer accompanied us every day documenting our vacation. The villas are situated in the best location in Montezuma - right on the beach. They are just what you would picture in a tropical paradise - thatched roofs, tropical hardwoods, open and breezy. The grounds are huge and gorgeous - filled with palm trees, tropical flowers and a swimming pool - and they are the best place we found to see exotic wildlife. Montezuma is a cute town with lots to do and central to many good surf beaches. It's much more beautiful and lush that the northern part of the Nicoya peninsula. Perhaps best of all, the hosts of Peaks 'n Swells are attentive, patient, interesting, fun-to-be-with, well-organized and go above and beyond to ensure that every guest has an extraordinary experience. If you want to have a guaranteed fantastic vacation, this is it.

Visited April 2012
Juneau, Alaska
“Best learning adventure ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

Peaks 'n Swells Surf Camp was an incredible learning experience in all ways: gorgeous place, positive experiences, inspiring people, delicious food, inviting waves at a variety of beaches that got better every single day, memorable adventures and most of all for me, learning that I will take with me forever! I learned to surf! Daily yoga helped tremendously with flexibility! I'm inspired by Hillary's authentic way of planning a week that included every possibility for fun, laughter, learning and motivation for more, more, more! She has created a team that makes every part of the week enjoyable!

As an educator I'm always observing the learning process as well as the experience - the instruction, support and guidance was excellent! Chris and Martin offered consistent feedback and positive support in the waves and on the beach as well as video feedback around happy hour time. I'll be back for spring break next year with a group of friends to enjoy another fantastic week of surfing instruction, yoga and new adventures. Learning about different places to surf as we explored the beaches nearby was great background for understanding surf reports and descriptions of other surf breaks for future independent travel.

Fresh fruit and great coffee started off every morning. Pool swims and poolside happy hour were the afternoon gathering place before dinner in next door Montezuma... lots of options there. On our day off we headed for the other side - Mal Pais and had a fantastic SUP tour with Andy of Freedom Riding Surf Shop. http://freedomridinghawaii.com/costa-rica/ I highly recommend the option of a stand up paddle tour! More new skills and I'm hopeful for trying it out here with a drysuit in my colder water neighborhood!

Peaks 'n Swells gets my top rating in every way! I'll be back to Surf Camp, Costa Rica, daily yoga and more learning adventures in the years to come!

Visited March 2012
Seattle, Washington
“Perfect in every way...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

The perfect family trip! We're definitely going back to Peaks n Swells! Our family has surfed in Hawaii and California but nothing has been comparable to this place- the beach house and the property, the surf breaks, the cool side trips we did everyday, even the amazing meals at the camp. Just when we thought we had been to the most beautiful beach away from everyone, we would go off to another cool spot. It was pretty crazy how fast everyone improved with the consistent coaching all week long. It made a huge difference in all of our surfing skills.
If you are looking for a truly cool and adventurous trip with the whole family- Peaks n swells does it for sure! We felt so lucky to find this camp over the larger surf camps that have more of a big group- tourist mentality. We felt special and part of the local town right away. Our kids got tons out of the cultural aspect as well

Visited April 2011