“Unforgettable Family Friendly Surf Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 18 activities in Montezuma
Type: Surf Camps
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Peaks 'n Swells Surf Camp provides incredible, one of a kind beachfront lodging, top surf instructors and sought-after yoga instructors to deliver a high performance surf camp in an uncrowded and stunning part of Costa Rica. Peaks offers a fast track surf experience for those wanting to progress in their surfing or beginners who are serious about wanting to learn to surf. The small camp sizes in an uncrowded area offering a variety of surf breaks will ensure an unintimidating and true surfing experience. Live your dream! Surf with Peaks 'n Swells!
Pemberton, Canada
“Unforgettable Family Friendly Surf Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

We were lucky enough to be able to attend this Fall Surf Camp experience and a return trip is in definitely in the future. I highly recommend it.

It's amazing to be able to leave the dreary Northern Hemisphere Fall weather and pop down to Costa Rica and jump in the warm ocean and get some Vitamin D. The coaches were great. From never having surfed before, I left being able to pop up and catch some waves in a couple days! I definitely want more.

The lodging is mind blowing as well. Beautifully constructed and fully outfitted beach houses seconds from the ocean, with various other breaks just 15 minutes away. There is a sea turtle reserve out front and daily visits from the monkeys and iguanas were well received! My two year old son had a blast. Beach time is definitely good for those toddlers and the infinity pool out front was his favorite attraction!

Hillary goes out of her way to give you a warm Costa Rican welcome and definitely pampers you with the local fare of fresh fruits and veggies. She had fresh coconut water waiting for us in the fridge upon our arrival. If you're thinking about going. Think no more and book now, you won't regret it.

Visited November 2011

Portland, Oregon
“Hanging Ten in Montezuma”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

Astonishing is the only word that comes to mind when remembering my week at Peaks N Swells surf camp.

First - what anyone reading this is really interested it: the surfing. I had never stood on a surf board before in my life, and Chris and the crew had me up and riding on waves at a really expansive and relativly uncrowded beach break that seemed ideal for a first time rider, ON THE FIRST DAY. Instruction started as soon as we met Chris, who immeiately started getting our mental focus geared towards riding the waves and enjoying the experience, knowing that the ride would follow in short order. Excellent instruction was provided at every step, from standing on the beach, to sitting outside the break and picking out waves on the horizon. After the first day, we were exposed to a number of different breaks on the Nicoyan peninsula. Each one offered different learning rides and learning experiences. Chris knew ALL the other surfers in the break (and there were never too many) which helped tremendously as the locals knew to share the water with the rookies.

Hillary, Ryan, Karen, George, and the rest of the staff made not only for great additional sources of instruction and encouragement, but they made the time not in the water a total pleasure. Every morning started with breakfast about 50 meters from the ocean. Fresh fruit, pinto, and all the fixins were abundant. The mangos wcould not have been fresher, as they grew right on the property. In between surf sessions, yoga practice was an optional activity to loosen up the muscles. And post surf, an excellent happy hour was waiting for us with fresh salsa, guacamole, and an endless supply of the local brew, Imperial. We were really made to feel much less like clients and more like good friends. I can not speak more highly of the entire family running this camp.

Finally, location, location, location. Do not let the remote location of Montezuma intimidate you. It is not that difficult to get to and was by far and away my favorite locale after a two week visit where many other towns were explored. The mood in the tonw is very laid back, and very non-touristy. The many Soda's made for a fantastic eating experience and the weekend farmers market was a great addition. The folks in town were all friendly and there was plenty to keep you busy in the evenings if for some reason you wanted to leave the excellent camp facilities. Speaking of the facilities, they were great. A private apartment, with a kitchen and all the amenities. Wildlife was abundant on the property in the day and night. A pool made for a great place to wash off the saltwater and relax between surf sessions.

I owuld go back tomorrow if I could. I would have never left in fact! But alas, the real world was calling and I had to leave. All I can say, is that if you are looking for a surf camp and are weighing your options in some of the more touristed towns to the Peaks and Swells camp, choose this one. It will blow your mind.

Visited April 2011
Stowe, Vermont
3 attraction reviews
“Outstanding in every respect.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

The family surf camp was OUTSTANDING in every respect. Our kids, ages 6 & 8 are begging to go back next year. Every one in our family learned to surf-- in fact we were all up and riding waves the first day. The instruction we had from Chris Johnson allowed us to work at our own comfort levels, while at the same time pushing me further than I would have thought I could go. Yoga with Dagmar was the perfect complement to an active day in the ocean. Our kids loved seeing monkeys and iguanas all around the property, exploring the Waterfall in Montezuma, and stopping for ice cream at Cafe Organico. The food was fresh and delicious, the property stunningly beautiful, and the Harrison family and crew the most gracious and uncontrived hosts you could ask for.

Visited April 2011
Olympia, Washington
“Top-notch surf instruction, amazing lodging, and wonderful people.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

Anyone looking for expert surf instruction coupled with a beautiful vacation getaway should come to Peaks N Swells!

Having taken many surf lessons in various locations before I got to Peaks N Swells, I was bowled over by the professionalism and the dedication to the students that the entire team displayed. Chris Johnson, our instructor, constantly pushed us to a higher level with patience, expert advice, and humor. Hillary and co provided a beautiful place to stay and relax in between surf sessions, including private yoga classes.

I can confidently say that I learned more in a single week at Peaks N Swells as I did in my previous 2 or 3 years trying to surf. For anyone looking for true improvement in their surfing, Peaks N Swells is the place to go. They will not put you on a soft-top board and push you into waves, but concentrate on finding the best conditions and board to match every individual's unique capacity for improvement.

in addition to the excellent surf instruction, the lodging was amazing. We had a fantastic breakfast every morning, including the most delicious fresh, ripe mangoes, papayas, pineapple, and great coffee. We lived in a beautiful private apartment complete with hammocks, an outdoor balcony kitchen, monkeys, and resident geckos and iguanas. The staff at Peaks N Swells was also very forthcoming with good advice on the best places to go on our subsequent trip to other locales in Costa Rica.

Our week at Peaks N Swells could not have been better. I highly recommend this to anyone wanting individualized attention and training to improve their skills in the breaks.

Visited March 2011
Escazu, Costa Rica
“Surfing in Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

Surfing for a week at the Peaks and Swells surf camp is good for the body and soul. The setting is amazing with beautiful villas right on the beach and the relaxing sound of the ocean. Sitting on the front porch is like being on safari as colorful birds, iguanas, monkeys, congos, and little bijaguas roam around the yard. The days are filled with amazing surf spots, yoga, yummy healthy food, and strong Costa Rican coffee. In the evening we watched the sun go down and relaxed by the pool. I couldn’t imagine a better place to take on the challenge of surfing.
I was amazed with how much everyone improved from the first day to the last. The first day I learned how to stand on the board in the white water and by the end of the camp I caught some waves that gave me the kind of ride you hear surfers talk about; the ride felt fast, fun, and addictive. The people were fun and everyone supported each other. In addition to knowledgeable instructors, a photographer took pictures of us riding the waves so we could see what we did well and the where we needed to improve. I think the pictures were an enormous bonus and they really helped me learn. If you would like to learn how to surf (or improve your skills) in a fun, beautiful, and relaxing environment the Peaks and Swells surf camp is for you.

Visited December 2010