“Outstanding in every respect.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 18 activities in Montezuma
Type: Surf Camps
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Peaks 'n Swells Surf Camp provides incredible, one of a kind beachfront lodging, top surf instructors and sought-after yoga instructors to deliver a high performance surf camp in an uncrowded and stunning part of Costa Rica. Peaks offers a fast track surf experience for those wanting to progress in their surfing or beginners who are serious about wanting to learn to surf. The small camp sizes in an uncrowded area offering a variety of surf breaks will ensure an unintimidating and true surfing experience. Live your dream! Surf with Peaks 'n Swells!
Stowe, Vermont
3 attraction reviews
“Outstanding in every respect.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

The family surf camp was OUTSTANDING in every respect. Our kids, ages 6 & 8 are begging to go back next year. Every one in our family learned to surf-- in fact we were all up and riding waves the first day. The instruction we had from Chris Johnson allowed us to work at our own comfort levels, while at the same time pushing me further than I would have thought I could go. Yoga with Dagmar was the perfect complement to an active day in the ocean. Our kids loved seeing monkeys and iguanas all around the property, exploring the Waterfall in Montezuma, and stopping for ice cream at Cafe Organico. The food was fresh and delicious, the property stunningly beautiful, and the Harrison family and crew the most gracious and uncontrived hosts you could ask for.

Visited April 2011

Olympia, Washington
“Top-notch surf instruction, amazing lodging, and wonderful people.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

Anyone looking for expert surf instruction coupled with a beautiful vacation getaway should come to Peaks N Swells!

Having taken many surf lessons in various locations before I got to Peaks N Swells, I was bowled over by the professionalism and the dedication to the students that the entire team displayed. Chris Johnson, our instructor, constantly pushed us to a higher level with patience, expert advice, and humor. Hillary and co provided a beautiful place to stay and relax in between surf sessions, including private yoga classes.

I can confidently say that I learned more in a single week at Peaks N Swells as I did in my previous 2 or 3 years trying to surf. For anyone looking for true improvement in their surfing, Peaks N Swells is the place to go. They will not put you on a soft-top board and push you into waves, but concentrate on finding the best conditions and board to match every individual's unique capacity for improvement.

in addition to the excellent surf instruction, the lodging was amazing. We had a fantastic breakfast every morning, including the most delicious fresh, ripe mangoes, papayas, pineapple, and great coffee. We lived in a beautiful private apartment complete with hammocks, an outdoor balcony kitchen, monkeys, and resident geckos and iguanas. The staff at Peaks N Swells was also very forthcoming with good advice on the best places to go on our subsequent trip to other locales in Costa Rica.

Our week at Peaks N Swells could not have been better. I highly recommend this to anyone wanting individualized attention and training to improve their skills in the breaks.

Visited March 2011
Escazu, Costa Rica
“Surfing in Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

Surfing for a week at the Peaks and Swells surf camp is good for the body and soul. The setting is amazing with beautiful villas right on the beach and the relaxing sound of the ocean. Sitting on the front porch is like being on safari as colorful birds, iguanas, monkeys, congos, and little bijaguas roam around the yard. The days are filled with amazing surf spots, yoga, yummy healthy food, and strong Costa Rican coffee. In the evening we watched the sun go down and relaxed by the pool. I couldn’t imagine a better place to take on the challenge of surfing.
I was amazed with how much everyone improved from the first day to the last. The first day I learned how to stand on the board in the white water and by the end of the camp I caught some waves that gave me the kind of ride you hear surfers talk about; the ride felt fast, fun, and addictive. The people were fun and everyone supported each other. In addition to knowledgeable instructors, a photographer took pictures of us riding the waves so we could see what we did well and the where we needed to improve. I think the pictures were an enormous bonus and they really helped me learn. If you would like to learn how to surf (or improve your skills) in a fun, beautiful, and relaxing environment the Peaks and Swells surf camp is for you.

Visited December 2010
Escazu, Costa Rica
“"Gone Surfing"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

I m a Costarrican and I was sick of being a better snowboarder than a surfer.. and though need it to inmerse my self in something like a cool hard core camp and beautifull Montezuma does the job for any nature lover... it was a taste of what it takes to be able to play with the big boys on the big waves... awsome work out, beautifull water, personal attention to important details and most likelly.. LOTS OF HOURS ON THE SURF, MORE WAVES AND MORE SURF surrounby beautifull people and the most exotic melt of the force of the wind, water and human enjoy of both. Sign on this Surf Camp was a total adventure... and now.. I can Surf!! and I look at wavesdiferent... WANT THEME ALL!!.

Visited December 2010
Vancouver, Canada
“A Surfers Dream”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

Finding quality surf and ample time to ride was priority at Peaks n Swells Surf Camp. The instructor was great! He was able to watch and determine each individuals starting point and build quickly on their needs. I have spent years working on my surfing and have been given pointers here and there but it wasn't til I went to Peaks N Swells surf camp that I noticed and felt a drastic improvement in my surfing. Hillary the organizer was incredibly accomodating. She ensured each of us were getting exactly what we needed out of the camp.

The accomodations were at Montezuma Beach Houses and were like a dream. Montezuma Beach Houses sits right on the ocean, so the waves put you to sleep at night. Personally I couldn't help but to dream of my next surf session!

The whole camp was geared towards improving our surfing. We enjoyed Yoga Flow sessions to allow us to stretch out between sessions. The food was delicious and healthy to keep us going. We even drank coconut water right from the coconut "pipas", which was full of nutrients to help us preform.

Peaks n Swells surf camp is an absolute must for anyone wanting to learn to surf or for anyone wanting to increase the quality of their wave riding. I can't say enough good things about it.