“Our favourite hostel in Costa Rica- life saver staff!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Luz en el Cielo Eco-B&B/Hostel to your Saves list
Luz en el Cielo Eco-B&B/Hostel
50 metros antes del centro de Montezuma, Montezuma, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #4 of 16 Montezuma B&B and Inns
“Our favourite hostel in Costa Rica- life saver staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014 via mobile

Myself (22, female) and my friend (21, female) travelled for three weeks around Costa Rica. We started our trip in montezuma at this hostel and loved it. The rooms are spacious and clean, the facilities are excellent, the location is ideal and the local breakfast is exquisite!! The hostel is nestled up off the road among greenery which is teaming with wildlife. You can sit in a hammock and enjoy the surroundings while listening to the nearby sea, very relaxing.
We decided to return here for an extra three days at the end of our trip because we loved it so much.
What really made this place amazing for us though was the incredibly helpful staff. Unfortunately on our second last day we were robbed while out and about. It was extremely stressful as we lost our passports and money. The staff at the hostel (in particular Abbie the owner) were unbelievably helpful and supportive and even drove us to the police station and stayed with us to help us translate our statements. They also helped us get emergency money. We can never repay them for the support they gave us. I would recommend this place to any one would would listen!!

• Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

After finishing my month-long research project in Cartago, I thought it would be a shame if I didn't skip over to the ocean and play a little bit! I took a bus from the coca cola station in San Jose. The ride was long, about 6 hours, but is perfectly enjoyable if you have a book and like to look out the window. You also get a beautiful ferry ride across the Gulf of Nicoya. Luz en el cielo is a beautiful hostel, amongst the prettiest I viewed in my short stay in montezuma. The people were very kind and accommodating, I recall no ill will towards my mattress, and I was provided with free wifi! I recall having a great conversation with a Dutch girl on my last night and then relaxing in a hammock while listening to the frogs. But don't take the advice on that hill lightly! It's a beast.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Montezuma, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

Great hostel .... I would definitely recommend .. Suits the area and has a really nice chilled vibe. The staff are fabulous and were super helpful and I had a really nice experience when I left my iPhone there, they found it kept until I could return and were Great about the whole thing ..( so super trustworthy ). ... I would come back !! Jajaj 3rd time lucky .... The rooms are nice and the place is really beautiful, set amongst the forest , you will no doubt run into the many monkeys and other animals , which is pretty cool. .... :)

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

Great location overlooking the town, about a 1 minute walk into town and beach. Rooms were super clean. Johnny(owner) was very helpful for arranging activities. Hostels on the beach appeared less safe so this was a great option. Great common areas to relax, upload photos and read in the hammocks. We'll done Johnny, Erica, Isabella(staff).

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Cartago, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

To be completely honest, we're new to backpacking. we've always admired the lifestyle, but hadn't taken a role in the community until now. Yes, when you think backpacking, in addition to blisters, mud and achey muscles, partying plays a role. We're young. That's what we do. We go out and have fun. Backpackers are no exception. Except, the introductions and friendships are NOT fleeting along with your supply of alcohol. This is what my cousin and I took away from Lus en el Cielo.

Lus en el Cielo is a place for long-lost family to come and rest their heads, catch up, have fun and trade tales. Truly, you are treated right by the staff in addition to the guest. Even being there a short while, you see the small ensemble of charecters LEEC that will charm you into submission. What's not to like?...The courteous front desk, the amaing--home made breakfast, the guard dogs (be careful, one bites!) Luis, the evening guard and even the cranky monkeys outside your window. (Yes. Real, live monkeys.)

A 36 hours stay lead to endless memories. Thank you, Ericka, Chris, Chris, Julie, LUCY, Isabell, Luis, Ottowa brother & siser & co., Australia girl (we hope you feel better,) Lee, guard dogs, monkey wake-ups and everyone who stopped to tell us their stories and was so kind to stop and listen to ours.

If your are a backpacker, passing through, or staying for awhile, in the pacific coast of CR, do your self a favor and check into LEEC. Bed, check; breakfast, check; hospitable staff, check. Lovely people, double-check.

Thanks for the memories. You will be remembered for a lifetime.
Cheers & Pura Vida,
Joe [NYC] y Erick [CR]

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

My friend and I stayed three nights and after we left we couldn't stop comparing everything else we experienced to our time at this hostel, and in Montezuma in general. We joked we were just going to cancel the rest of our plans to go back "home". That's what it felt like to us, home and family. When you stay, make sure to join them for family dinner, and on Thursday go out and live Reggae night to the fullest!! Pura Vida!

• Stayed July 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We had a great stay at this hostel, the staff was friendly and welcoming and had awesome suggestions of what to do and see in the area!

We had a great time. There were monkeys hanging out and iguanas everywhere! We would absolutely suggest this hostel to anyone who is looking for somewhere to stay.

I'll put out there that the facilities were clean and eco-concious which is very important to us. Also, the staff member we interacted with was from the states which made communication really easy. We found out about Luz en el Cielo from one of my friends who told me that the property is owned by one of our college alumni, go skyhawks! I am SO glad we took her suggestion.

The hotel is about a five minuet walk uphill from town, which is great because you feel tucked back in the jungle, a very cool vibe. We didn't get to stay for breakfast, we were catching an early bus, but it looked like it was going to be great judging from the menu.

I had read some reviews on here about people having a negative experience with the dog that lives at the hostel; I would just like to say that the bench the dog lives on is very well labeled as the dog's bench. The girl working the front desk warned us immediately the dog is more like a guard dog than a play with me dog and to avoid her because she may bite. If you have a negative encounter with this dog it is your fault, not hers or the hostels.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Luz en el Cielo Eco-B&B/Hostel? Share your experiences!