“Noisy, cramped, dirty hostel... look elsewhere!” 2 of 5 stars

Luz en el Cielo Eco-B&B/Hostel
50 metros antes del centro de Montezuma, Montezuma, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #4 of 16 Montezuma B&B and Inns
Adelaide
“Noisy, cramped, dirty hostel... look elsewhere!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I'll make this simple:
PROS: great breakfast and coffee in the morning, staff happy to help book tours or recommend things to do, surrounded by great wildlife, clean bathrooms
CONS: tiny tiny TINY dorm rooms -- could not believe they expected 4 people to fit in there comfortably with their backpacks. huge tears in the screen mean not only bugs could get in but practically any creature that wanted to (please know that i am not a snobby, scared of bugs person ... but a completely open screen in the jungle is a different thing!) the bathrooms were clean, but the one upstairs had no water which meant every single person in the hostel needed to use the downstairs one (this meant there was a LONG line for the shower and if you needed just to use the bathroom you were out of luck...) lastly, the hostel is a steep hike up a hill which doesn't even offer a nice view or anything, so it is seemingly pointless.
overall, not very highly recommended... i'd look for a place closer to the beach if i were to return

Room Tip: don't stay in the dorms!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
luzenelcielocr, Owner at Luz en el Cielo Eco-B&B/Hostel, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay as much as most guests do. It is too bad that whenever there is a small problem, we hear about it on TripAdvisor. We wish this was a better, more accurate sample of the general experience at Luz en el Cielo. Either way we do appreciate feedback. Please do not forget to let the hotel know about the issues you have while you are staying. There are many things that we can do to help you in the moment, instead of waiting to write a review to voice your opinion.

We are very sorry a board in your bed broke. This happens sometimes, as the beds are bunk beds and many people, shapes and sizes sleep in them. We do our best to maintain, however one board breaking is an easy fix, which was personally fixed by me, in about five minutes.

The hostel was at maximum capacity when you visited, for it was Semana Santa, the busiest week of the entire year. We would like to apologize for noisy guests, but after all we are a hostel and there is only so much that we can do without preventing the experience for other guests from having a good time. We do have quite hours from 10:30 pm to 8:00 am, which we enforce.

We are located about 100 meters up the hill from the Montezuma's town center. We are away from the beach, where it is quieter and safer! We have amazing wildlife at Luz and this is what makes the small trek up the hill worth every step.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Douglasville, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Every time you walk up the hill, you work up a sweat...no big deal...take a quick shower relax and enjoy being surronded by the jungle...Staff was very friendly...security was not an issue with an over night guard...nice breakfast daily...got a little boring but than again I stayed for a month...coffee is excellent...There is pot smoling that goes on...but nobody forces you to smoke..though I did enjoy the quality...a well diversified group of people travel through and staff the hostel...family dinners are arranged periodically...overall a Great Time and would highly recommend to anyone who wants either a dorm room (where I stayed) or one of the private cabinas...of course the monkeys are always fun especially when they get rowdy in the middle of the night...local flavor at it's Best! Pura Vida...

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed here for three nights in one of the private Cabinas. The cabina was really, really nice. Comfortable beds, really nice shower with hot water and an amazing view of the jungle, sunset and ocean. If you like to socialize but also have the option of getting away to a clean, private room then this the cabinas here are a good option. Breakfast was served every morning and coffee was ready all day long. It's a short walk to town (up a decent sized hill but after a couple treks you don't even notice it) and is quiet at night. We were traveling as a couple and this was a great option.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed in one of the private cabinas for 3 days. The biggest plus of staying here was the monkeys. I would stay here again just for that experience. Staying here is a very unique experience and you should know what you are getting in here. The people are very sweet, but the other reviews about staff smoking weed etc are true... so that is why i need to rank them a bit lower. It didn't affect my stay or my comfort, but it could affect the comfort of others so it shouldn't go unmentioned. The people who work here are honestly a representation of the people in the community and i enjoyed being around them, but it's not for everyone. I do warn that if you are staying in the cabinas (which you should!!!) you need to be in ok shape for the walk up the hill at night to the room. It's not far, it's just not easy if you have any walking issues. But..back to the monkeys. We woke up every morning surrounded by howler monkeys in the trees around our room and wouldn't trade that experience for the world. Get one of the cabinas for a few nights, drink your coffee and hang out with the monkeys...it was great. We spent 2 weeks in costa rica, and montezuma wasn't our favorite place, but i'm glad we went for the monkeys at luz en cielo. :) Oh..and the bed was really comfortable (something you can't take for granted in costa rica) but the water wasn't hot in the shower in our room, but again after 2 weeks we realize hot showers are not an expectation you should have when going to costa rica.

Room Tip: Stay in the private cabinas with the monkeys!!! :)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
San Luis Obispo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights, 2 in the dorm and 1 in the cabina.

The dorms were basic. Nothing fancy, but definitely not the worst I've stayed in. Any problems there are more related to the fact your sharing a room with 5 strangers and don't reflect the amenities. The bathrooms were clean and are actually really pretty. The upstairs bathroom isn't for the modest guest because there's an un-curtained window. If you're showering a gardener or other guest may catch a peak of you.

The cabina is beautiful. The shower is gorgeous and even has hot water. The view is beautiful. Definitely recommend a stay if you can swing it.

Every member of the staff was super friendly and helpful. Sure it wasn't a very hotel-like atmosphere where they sit behind a desk all day- they actually build friendships with the guests. Though my reservations went without hiccups I did witness a few fumbles. The staff seemed to really go out of their way to make things right.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

lets start with the pros:
- 5 mins walking from the beach (more coming back)
- Howler monkeys and capuchin monkeys all around your head

now the cons:
- noisy early in the morning and late at night (mostly from the staff and their friends)
-´staff members smoking weed all day in areas where they asked people not to smoke...
- pseudo security guy who spends his time smoking pot, talking loud on his cell phone...
- Unheard-of rules, as for example:" you can't rinse your beach short bc we need to save water" ..??!!! really ??
- restrooms far from clean
- The kitchen is closed between 10pm and 10am...(except for staff members who cook at night !)
- only one fridge for everybody (in fact it 's not even a fridge but a tall cooler...)

Well clear enough , I don' t recommend this place,
if I had to go back, I would check Luna llena, next door.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
luzenelcielocr, Owner at Luz en el Cielo Eco-B&B/Hostel, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your time at Luz en el Cielo. All of your concerns are understandable and I am taking all of what you said very seriously. I have been out of town for one week and my staff has clearly had problems with minding the rules that are normally well-respected at Luz en el Cielo. I assure you and any future travelers that this is a strange condition to find Luz.

We have quite hours from 10:30pm-8am, which are enforced and respected by both staff and guests.

Staff members should not be smoking weed on the job, I am shocked to hear this.

We do not do any laundry and ask that guests please do not do their laundry in the sinks, because the entire town is in a bad drought, but I do not see why rinsing your shorts out in the sink would be a problem. I personally apologize for this.

The kitchen is closed from 10-10 and staff are not allowed to cook when guests are not allowed to cook. (Again, another issue I will have to bring up with staff, when I return in two days!)

The fridge is working hard all of the time... I am sorry but there is nothing we can do to make the fridge cooler... it is normally packed with food and opened every ten minutes.

I assure you are bathroom are cleaned daily and well, but after 14 people take a shower, sometimes they get a little messy, with respect.

I hope that you come back to Luz and can experience Luz the way that it normally is.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed at Luz en el Cielo for the past 4 days. Upon arrival I was greeted in the dark of the night by a warm light of the downstairs patio by lovely Erica. There were other guests sitting around enjoying the night warmth and ocean breeze (and sound the waves!) and light pleasant music was playing. Erica took me straight up to my room so I could put my bag down. She showed me all I needed to know about bathrooms, water, kitchen- very thorough run thorough. When back downstairs she offered me a beer locally brewed down the street.
My sleep was fine! It is a regular dorm room and it is cleaned daily. Everything is very clean- and no bugs really! Weird. .
Waking up to the terrifying sound of howler monkeys... I will miss it dearly. Monkeys all around in the afternoon!
WHAT A TREAT IN THE MORNING !! 8am I was asked by the lovely and very sweet cook if I'd like everything- I just said yes. A beautiful plate of gallo pinto, fresh pineapple and banana, seasoned scrambled eggs, bit of toast, and really good coffee (I am a coffee snob)
I really must say though, Erica was a sweetheart. She made me feel so welcome and taken care of and it was never an issue if you needed any kind of help. You can tell she loves her job.
The only reason I gave a 4 for service is because the gentlemen employed there really did give you the air that they don't really care to see you and act like somehow you are below them. When a guest had a question and asked one of the guys the guy didn't leave his hammock and said- I dunno ask bla bla downstairs but he's watching a tv show right now, so let him relax first and finish his show then u can ask". It was so unbelievable I was laughing out loud!
I live and breath service industry and that was quintessentially Erica. I didn't see the owner but once, but I could tell she was as sweet. Same for Kate! I didn't interact with her as much, but I can tell she is seasoned and makes you feel welcome.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Luz en el Cielo Eco-B&B/Hostel? Share your experiences!