“Enjoyed the Shower” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 14 Montezuma B&B and Inns
Douglasville, Georgia
“Enjoyed the Shower”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Every time you walk up the hill, you work up a sweat...no big deal...take a quick shower relax and enjoy being surronded by the jungle...Staff was very friendly...security was not an issue with an over night guard...nice breakfast daily...got a little boring but than again I stayed for a month...coffee is excellent...There is pot smoling that goes on...but nobody forces you to smoke..though I did enjoy the quality...a well diversified group of people travel through and staff the hostel...family dinners are arranged periodically...overall a Great Time and would highly recommend to anyone who wants either a dorm room (where I stayed) or one of the private cabinas...of course the monkeys are always fun especially when they get rowdy in the middle of the night...local flavor at it's Best! Pura Vida...

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

120 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed here for three nights in one of the private Cabinas. The cabina was really, really nice. Comfortable beds, really nice shower with hot water and an amazing view of the jungle, sunset and ocean. If you like to socialize but also have the option of getting away to a clean, private room then this the cabinas here are a good option. Breakfast was served every morning and coffee was ready all day long. It's a short walk to town (up a decent sized hill but after a couple treks you don't even notice it) and is quiet at night. We were traveling as a couple and this was a great option.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed in one of the private cabinas for 3 days. The biggest plus of staying here was the monkeys. I would stay here again just for that experience. Staying here is a very unique experience and you should know what you are getting in here. The people are very sweet, but the other reviews about staff smoking weed etc are true... so that is why i need to rank them a bit lower. It didn't affect my stay or my comfort, but it could affect the comfort of others so it shouldn't go unmentioned. The people who work here are honestly a representation of the people in the community and i enjoyed being around them, but it's not for everyone. I do warn that if you are staying in the cabinas (which you should!!!) you need to be in ok shape for the walk up the hill at night to the room. It's not far, it's just not easy if you have any walking issues. But..back to the monkeys. We woke up every morning surrounded by howler monkeys in the trees around our room and wouldn't trade that experience for the world. Get one of the cabinas for a few nights, drink your coffee and hang out with the monkeys...it was great. We spent 2 weeks in costa rica, and montezuma wasn't our favorite place, but i'm glad we went for the monkeys at luz en cielo. :) Oh..and the bed was really comfortable (something you can't take for granted in costa rica) but the water wasn't hot in the shower in our room, but again after 2 weeks we realize hot showers are not an expectation you should have when going to costa rica.

Room Tip: Stay in the private cabinas with the monkeys!!! :)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
San Luis Obispo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights, 2 in the dorm and 1 in the cabina.

The dorms were basic. Nothing fancy, but definitely not the worst I've stayed in. Any problems there are more related to the fact your sharing a room with 5 strangers and don't reflect the amenities. The bathrooms were clean and are actually really pretty. The upstairs bathroom isn't for the modest guest because there's an un-curtained window. If you're showering a gardener or other guest may catch a peak of you.

The cabina is beautiful. The shower is gorgeous and even has hot water. The view is beautiful. Definitely recommend a stay if you can swing it.

Every member of the staff was super friendly and helpful. Sure it wasn't a very hotel-like atmosphere where they sit behind a desk all day- they actually build friendships with the guests. Though my reservations went without hiccups I did witness a few fumbles. The staff seemed to really go out of their way to make things right.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

lets start with the pros:
- 5 mins walking from the beach (more coming back)
- Howler monkeys and capuchin monkeys all around your head

now the cons:
- noisy early in the morning and late at night (mostly from the staff and their friends)
-´staff members smoking weed all day in areas where they asked people not to smoke...
- pseudo security guy who spends his time smoking pot, talking loud on his cell phone...
- Unheard-of rules, as for example:" you can't rinse your beach short bc we need to save water" ..??!!! really ??
- restrooms far from clean
- The kitchen is closed between 10pm and 10am...(except for staff members who cook at night !)
- only one fridge for everybody (in fact it 's not even a fridge but a tall cooler...)

Well clear enough , I don' t recommend this place,
if I had to go back, I would check Luna llena, next door.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
luzenelcielocr, Owner at Luz en el Cielo Eco-B&B/Hostel, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your time at Luz en el Cielo. All of your concerns are understandable and I am taking all of what you said very seriously. I have been out of town for one week and my staff has clearly had problems with minding the rules that are normally well-respected at Luz en el Cielo. I assure you and any future travelers that this is a strange condition to find Luz.

We have quite hours from 10:30pm-8am, which are enforced and respected by both staff and guests.

Staff members should not be smoking weed on the job, I am shocked to hear this.

We do not do any laundry and ask that guests please do not do their laundry in the sinks, because the entire town is in a bad drought, but I do not see why rinsing your shorts out in the sink would be a problem. I personally apologize for this.

The kitchen is closed from 10-10 and staff are not allowed to cook when guests are not allowed to cook. (Again, another issue I will have to bring up with staff, when I return in two days!)

The fridge is working hard all of the time... I am sorry but there is nothing we can do to make the fridge cooler... it is normally packed with food and opened every ten minutes.

I assure you are bathroom are cleaned daily and well, but after 14 people take a shower, sometimes they get a little messy, with respect.

I hope that you come back to Luz and can experience Luz the way that it normally is.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed at Luz en el Cielo for the past 4 days. Upon arrival I was greeted in the dark of the night by a warm light of the downstairs patio by lovely Erica. There were other guests sitting around enjoying the night warmth and ocean breeze (and sound the waves!) and light pleasant music was playing. Erica took me straight up to my room so I could put my bag down. She showed me all I needed to know about bathrooms, water, kitchen- very thorough run thorough. When back downstairs she offered me a beer locally brewed down the street.
My sleep was fine! It is a regular dorm room and it is cleaned daily. Everything is very clean- and no bugs really! Weird. .
Waking up to the terrifying sound of howler monkeys... I will miss it dearly. Monkeys all around in the afternoon!
WHAT A TREAT IN THE MORNING !! 8am I was asked by the lovely and very sweet cook if I'd like everything- I just said yes. A beautiful plate of gallo pinto, fresh pineapple and banana, seasoned scrambled eggs, bit of toast, and really good coffee (I am a coffee snob)
I really must say though, Erica was a sweetheart. She made me feel so welcome and taken care of and it was never an issue if you needed any kind of help. You can tell she loves her job.
The only reason I gave a 4 for service is because the gentlemen employed there really did give you the air that they don't really care to see you and act like somehow you are below them. When a guest had a question and asked one of the guys the guy didn't leave his hammock and said- I dunno ask bla bla downstairs but he's watching a tv show right now, so let him relax first and finish his show then u can ask". It was so unbelievable I was laughing out loud!
I live and breath service industry and that was quintessentially Erica. I didn't see the owner but once, but I could tell she was as sweet. Same for Kate! I didn't interact with her as much, but I can tell she is seasoned and makes you feel welcome.

• Stayed February 2013
Panama City, Panama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Nice little hostel set amongst the jungle with nature all around. The staff was friendly and the music was even better. I enjoyed my time at Luz except for a few minor issues. There is only one working toilet to be shared amongst 20 people and I found it quiet annoying, a little more privacy would be nice. Occasionally you would get a drift of some awful smell coming from the pipes, not sure what the problem is there. The communal environment is great - a nice place to engage in conversation. I wish the hammocks in the communal area were a bit larger as you can't comfortably relax after a long day at the beach. I would recommend this place to others once their sewage and bathroom issues are fixed. Overall, nice experience, I just wish the smell would match it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
luzenelcielocr, Owner at Luz en el Cielo Eco-B&B/Hostel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
I am sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your time at Luz. The plumbing issues only lasted a few days and have been resolved. Our septic tanks in Costa Rica are fragile and we ask kindly that Toilet paper does not get flushed, but when these guidelines are not followed it ruins the connivence for other guests. It is very difficult to get parts and workers in a matter of even days here on the peninsula and we always do our best to get issues resolved as soon as possible. Part of this unfortunately is beyond our control.

We hope you come visit us again, and get to enjoy a better experience of Luz!

Been to Luz en el Cielo Eco-B&B/Hostel? Share your experiences!