“Cozy and Friendly Hostel” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Vista Cabina SPECIAL $65
Ranked #5 of 15 Montezuma B&B and Inns
San Luis Obispo, California
“Cozy and Friendly Hostel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights, 2 in the dorm and 1 in the cabina.

The dorms were basic. Nothing fancy, but definitely not the worst I've stayed in. Any problems there are more related to the fact your sharing a room with 5 strangers and don't reflect the amenities. The bathrooms were clean and are actually really pretty. The upstairs bathroom isn't for the modest guest because there's an un-curtained window. If you're showering a gardener or other guest may catch a peak of you.

The cabina is beautiful. The shower is gorgeous and even has hot water. The view is beautiful. Definitely recommend a stay if you can swing it.

Every member of the staff was super friendly and helpful. Sure it wasn't a very hotel-like atmosphere where they sit behind a desk all day- they actually build friendships with the guests. Though my reservations went without hiccups I did witness a few fumbles. The staff seemed to really go out of their way to make things right.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

116 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

lets start with the pros:
- 5 mins walking from the beach (more coming back)
- Howler monkeys and capuchin monkeys all around your head

now the cons:
- noisy early in the morning and late at night (mostly from the staff and their friends)
-´staff members smoking weed all day in areas where they asked people not to smoke...
- pseudo security guy who spends his time smoking pot, talking loud on his cell phone...
- Unheard-of rules, as for example:" you can't rinse your beach short bc we need to save water" ..??!!! really ??
- restrooms far from clean
- The kitchen is closed between 10pm and 10am...(except for staff members who cook at night !)
- only one fridge for everybody (in fact it 's not even a fridge but a tall cooler...)

Well clear enough , I don' t recommend this place,
if I had to go back, I would check Luna llena, next door.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
luzenelcielocr, Owner at Luz en el Cielo Eco-B&B/Hostel, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your time at Luz en el Cielo. All of your concerns are understandable and I am taking all of what you said very seriously. I have been out of town for one week and my staff has clearly had problems with minding the rules that are normally well-respected at Luz en el Cielo. I assure you and any future travelers that this is a strange condition to find Luz.

We have quite hours from 10:30pm-8am, which are enforced and respected by both staff and guests.

Staff members should not be smoking weed on the job, I am shocked to hear this.

We do not do any laundry and ask that guests please do not do their laundry in the sinks, because the entire town is in a bad drought, but I do not see why rinsing your shorts out in the sink would be a problem. I personally apologize for this.

The kitchen is closed from 10-10 and staff are not allowed to cook when guests are not allowed to cook. (Again, another issue I will have to bring up with staff, when I return in two days!)

The fridge is working hard all of the time... I am sorry but there is nothing we can do to make the fridge cooler... it is normally packed with food and opened every ten minutes.

I assure you are bathroom are cleaned daily and well, but after 14 people take a shower, sometimes they get a little messy, with respect.

I hope that you come back to Luz and can experience Luz the way that it normally is.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed at Luz en el Cielo for the past 4 days. Upon arrival I was greeted in the dark of the night by a warm light of the downstairs patio by lovely Erica. There were other guests sitting around enjoying the night warmth and ocean breeze (and sound the waves!) and light pleasant music was playing. Erica took me straight up to my room so I could put my bag down. She showed me all I needed to know about bathrooms, water, kitchen- very thorough run thorough. When back downstairs she offered me a beer locally brewed down the street.
My sleep was fine! It is a regular dorm room and it is cleaned daily. Everything is very clean- and no bugs really! Weird. .
Waking up to the terrifying sound of howler monkeys... I will miss it dearly. Monkeys all around in the afternoon!
WHAT A TREAT IN THE MORNING !! 8am I was asked by the lovely and very sweet cook if I'd like everything- I just said yes. A beautiful plate of gallo pinto, fresh pineapple and banana, seasoned scrambled eggs, bit of toast, and really good coffee (I am a coffee snob)
I really must say though, Erica was a sweetheart. She made me feel so welcome and taken care of and it was never an issue if you needed any kind of help. You can tell she loves her job.
The only reason I gave a 4 for service is because the gentlemen employed there really did give you the air that they don't really care to see you and act like somehow you are below them. When a guest had a question and asked one of the guys the guy didn't leave his hammock and said- I dunno ask bla bla downstairs but he's watching a tv show right now, so let him relax first and finish his show then u can ask". It was so unbelievable I was laughing out loud!
I live and breath service industry and that was quintessentially Erica. I didn't see the owner but once, but I could tell she was as sweet. Same for Kate! I didn't interact with her as much, but I can tell she is seasoned and makes you feel welcome.

• Stayed February 2013
Panama City, Panama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Nice little hostel set amongst the jungle with nature all around. The staff was friendly and the music was even better. I enjoyed my time at Luz except for a few minor issues. There is only one working toilet to be shared amongst 20 people and I found it quiet annoying, a little more privacy would be nice. Occasionally you would get a drift of some awful smell coming from the pipes, not sure what the problem is there. The communal environment is great - a nice place to engage in conversation. I wish the hammocks in the communal area were a bit larger as you can't comfortably relax after a long day at the beach. I would recommend this place to others once their sewage and bathroom issues are fixed. Overall, nice experience, I just wish the smell would match it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
luzenelcielocr, Owner at Luz en el Cielo Eco-B&B/Hostel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
I am sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your time at Luz. The plumbing issues only lasted a few days and have been resolved. Our septic tanks in Costa Rica are fragile and we ask kindly that Toilet paper does not get flushed, but when these guidelines are not followed it ruins the connivence for other guests. It is very difficult to get parts and workers in a matter of even days here on the peninsula and we always do our best to get issues resolved as soon as possible. Part of this unfortunately is beyond our control.

We hope you come visit us again, and get to enjoy a better experience of Luz!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This is probably the worst hostel I've ever stayed at. Me and min friend don't mind staying in dormitories, but this was really something els. The bed wore terrible! Coverd in a plastic sheet it got so noisy and hot! The room was hot and no air entered!
The staff seemed to be too cool for them self, yet it took the genius 4 times to get the bill right!
Don't stay day!dont get fools by the other reviews here, that how we got fooled! We left one day earlier without a reefound. The place just next door showed to be both cheeper, nicer and cleaner!!

• Stayed January 2013
I am very sorry to hear that you were so turned off by our beds. Each bed has a bed cover, which is a thin plastic liner to protect the mattress from getting nasty. It is so hot here and people sweat a lot, so it is a health precaution to keep other guests bodily fluids away from the next guest. We wash the covers and then put cotton sheets over, to make the beds as clean as possible!
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

The dormitory was luxurious, cute and very clean. Breakfast: wow! The rooms are located in the heart of the jungle, so do not pay to see howler monkeys, they are waiting for you at Luz en el cielo! We met some great people. I would go back anytime!

Room Tip: Ask for the new luxiurious dorm!