“the treehouse hostel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Luz en el Cielo Eco-B&B/Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montezuma
Luz en el Cielo Eco-B&B/Hostel
You added Luz en el Cielo Eco-B&B/Hostel to your Saves list
50 metros antes del centro de Montezuma, Montezuma, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #4 of 16 Montezuma B&B and Inns
Bellevue, Washington, United States
“the treehouse hostel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

As a college student traveling on a budget, it is always a huge relief to arrive at a hostel with clean sheets, running water, complimentary breakfast (delicious!) and a friendly staff. Luz en el Cielo had all of that, plus monkeys! It was like living in a treehouse - the hostel is immersed in the tropical jungle but is less than a minute walk down the path to the road and then maybe one or two minutes from there to the town and beach. The hammock on the second floor was a favorite spot, and while the howler monkeys woke me up both mornings I didn't mind at all - it felt so Costa Rican. The staff were all so friendly and fun, and we had awesome people staying in the hostel with us both nights. I wish we could have stayed longer! I felt like we got to know everyone there extremely well in the short time we were there so I can only imagine how much fun it would be to stay for a week or more. I definitely recommend this hostel and would come back anytime - it also seems like an incredibly fun place to work too! We love Luz en el Cielo!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

I spent two months in Costa Rica and I have to say, Luz En El Cielo was the most memorable part of my trip. The hostel is in the jungle, and is only a four minute walk from the beach. Everyday we lived among monkeys, iguanas, birds, and all kinds of other really amazing wildlife. The staff were all so friendly and helpful, and breakfast was miles above any other hostel. It really is a gem and i would recommend it to anyone looking to get lost in the beauty and relaxation that is Luz En El Cielo.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Buenos Aires
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I have stayed in a LOT of different hostels all over the world and Luz was definitely among my top 4 favorite hostels. The hostel's location is excellent and is a beautiful, clean place to stay. The breakfast was the best I had at hostels during my stay in Costa Rica. There's plenty of space to do your own thing, chill in a hammock, etc. However, the best part about the stay at Luz was the Luz family. The staff there is absolutely amazing. Not only are they awesome people, but incredibly helpful and did everything to make me feel welcome. Luz is definitely the best place to stay in Montezuma (and Montezuma one of the best places to stay in CR).

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

good kitchen for cranking out some good meals... nice hammock setup... the staff were always friendly and helpful honestly though they need to fix the water problem which is such low pressure the top bathroom does not function. also the bug netting is only for half the area above the walls of the room so tons of bugs get in at night... its not hard to fix, someone just needs to go down to the hardware store and spend a saturday or sunday putting it in..... the breakfast here was very delicious but for a hostel charging 15 a night and not by the ocean i expect more

Room Tip: make sure you spray yourself with bug spray before you go to sleep
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
LiveLaughLove000, Owner at Luz en el Cielo Eco-B&B/Hostel, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Luz en el Cielo is located in the jungle. This is very special because everyday guests get the chance to see monkeys, iguanas, birds, anteaters, armadillos and so much more. We live in a space that we have created in the jungle, so it comes with a few down-sides.

The bugs for one are always a problem. We have found that bug net rentals do a lot better job of keeping our guests "bug-free" than putting up screens all over the rooms. Doors and windows are still left open and bugs can get into spaces we can not even see. This is more thought through, than most appreciated. We do live here year round and deal with the bugs on a daily basis.

We have been dealing with water problems since the day we opened. The water system in Costa Rica in general is challenging for a hotel. Pressure is never consistent. I am sorry that our upstairs shower was preforming its best moment when you wanted to shower. I assure all future guests that our system is now even better. We have done many upgrades this past month. I would hope that one shower with low pressure isn't too much of a turn off from all the great things Luz en el Cielo has to offer.
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Absolutely loved this place. This place is everything you expect from Montezuma. It has a wicked vibe and this is down to the awesome staff and location. The staff made me so welcome and looked after me very well. Can't say enough good things about them, they really made my stay. Thank you Abbey, Jakey (que mono), Milli (kitchen goddess) Juan Luis (the man who can) and finally the beautiful Gabriel and Lissert (mis tortugas). These guys do a brilliant job. The hostel is safe as house's and super clean. The layout of the hostel makes it a real social place and there's all ways the wild life to observe. Monkey's, birds, lizards, armadillos right on your doorstep it feels so wild. It's worth every penny and with the breakfast thrown in you can't lose. If you want the real Montezuma vibe and a decent, friendly place to stay then it has to be La luz en el cielo.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

Our experience at Luz en el Cielo was fabulous. The staff there were extremely helpful and friendly and the place is astonishing. Clean, cozy, and way too much fun. A great relaxed environment with an excellent vibe. Vale la pena!

Room Tip: Dorms were cozy and comfortable, would recommend renting a mosquito net if you don't have you...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

I stayed here first with friends, afterwards alone. Although the expression alone does not really fit the place, because since I was travelling during off-season the hostel had less then 10 guests, which made it easy to get to know everyone. In the evening the whole hostel would do something (night-swimming in the ocean, going to one of the few bars etc.) together. This was really fun. The atmosphere is laid-back, but still the owner is strict with quiet-time during the night, therefore the screaming monkeys should be your only concern regarding noise.

I stayed in a six bed dorm room, with an additional "bathroom" outside. All very clean and nice-looking. The dormitory was a cabina, not part of the acutal hostel building, surrounded by nature (yes, monkeys that throw fruit at you too). Like other people mention, there was a drought and hence water was short, but that wouldn't have been different in another hostel in Montezuma. Concerns about safety seem legitimate at first, since there are no lockers. However, I never felt unsafe, since the hostel is guarded by a local guy during the night and by the owners during the day. The rather high price is justified by the great service, plus it includes a great breakfast with fruits, gallo pinto and scrambled eggs.

I would recommend Luz en el Cielo in any case and will - if I return to Montezuma one day - visit again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to Luz en el Cielo Eco-B&B/Hostel? Share your experiences!