“The only horseback tour worth considering....” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 8 Attractions in Montezuma
Type: Horseback Riding Stables, Sports
More attraction details
Owner description: El Pinto Expeditions offers daily specialized private horseback rides,overnight moon rides and stays at our farm near Montezuma. The horses are family to us, so we love and take good care of them. They are well suited to trail riding, and we care very much about matching people with the right horse. Our speciality is beginner to intermediate level. Marvin gives instructions on techniques for safety & comfort for both the rider & the horse.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
“The only horseback tour worth considering....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Marvin is hands-down the best horseback tour guide ever! My young daughter (who was nearly four at the time) and I had the most amazing tour with El Pinto last year in Montezuma and hope to return again someday. I highly recommend Marvin because he was so attentive to our safety and comfort, while entertaining us with friendly conversation, plus lots of info about the sights we encountered along the way. My daughter still remembers our horse "Niso" who carried us both with ease; steady- footed and calm. It was her first time on horseback...what a memorable experience for us both. A gracious host (who also speaks perfect English), Marvin offered refreshments when we stopped for a break, slicing up a fresh pineapple for us AND the horses to enjoy! Don't bother looking anywhere else for a horseback tour; choose El Pinto and you won't regret it.

Visited June 2012

5 attraction reviews
“Like Family... well-cared for horses and knowledgeable guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I especially like the full-moon ride. It starts in the late afternoon and heads to the falls where there are light snacks and time to explore before returning to the beach. you feel good about going with El Pinto because of the sensitivity and care the guides offer for animals and people alike. highly recommended.

Visited August 2012
Columbia, SC
“Amazing Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

El Pinto Expeditions was the highlight of my trip to Costa Rica, We took a full moon ride along the beach from Cabuya to Montezuma. We began the ride with the moon rising over the gulf and came back by the light of the full moon. The experience was dream like a truly wonderful experience. Marvin was a wonderful guide and showed patience with us less experienced riders. What set Marvin apart from others is his true love for his horses. You can tell that their health and well being are his utmost priority. If you want to ride with a wonderful host who truly loves animals Marvin is your choice,

Chicago, Illinois
“The Ride of My Life!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Where do I even begin? Marvin made possible what was undoubtedly the most unforgettable night of my life. I'll start with the general, and move onto the specific. He will provide you with the most personalized, attentive, and unique experience you could ever hope for (as if riding horseback through Costa Rica wasn't special enough already). He's kind to his horses and puts them first, but provides a safe ride as well as informative tour. See @AZURAMSmom's post on that -- I agree with her entirely!

We started our ride in Cabuya, just my boyfriend and I and Marvin, down the side roads heading up into the jungle. We then rode, for just over 2 hours, literally through the jungle and up and over the mountain, alongside the National Preserve, from one side of the peninsula (on the Nicoya Bay) to the other (the Pacific Ocean). Once we got to Malpais Beach, Marvin tended the horses and gave us time to wander off down the shore, sit on the rocks, and watch the sunset. After that gorgeous sight, we started to head over toward the horses, as we had dinner plans and a 2+ hour ride back ahead of us. Marvin asked me where we were going to dinner and said "this place is better" gesturing to his left. That's when my boyfriend pulled me aside, told me he loved me and that I was his best friend, whom he wanted to spent the rest of his life with, got down on one knee, and PROPOSED. To our left, sure enough, I then saw a tiny table set up on the rocks, with orchid petals and paper lanterns leading up to it, next to a small bonfire, and a private caterer who had caught lobsters out of the sea and was cooking them for us for dinner. We sipped champagne, in awe of our circumstances, as I kept sneaking glances down at the extremely sparkly new jewelry on my left hand. Marvin waited for us to finish, as a group of free horses trotted down the beach in the background behind us. We then rode back the same way we came, via moonlight this time, with howler monkeys and glowing eyes in the dark all around us as I thanked him profusely for helping make this happen for us.

WHO DOES THIS?! The only word I have for it doesn't even suffice, but it is: amazing. I will never, ever forget this. If you are looking for something special to do -- CALL EL PINTO!!! Marvin is the best, bar none.

~Kristin and Freddy, Chicago IL

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
“Unparalleled experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Marvin has recently moved his horseback riding operation to Cabuya which is a quiet fisherman’s town south of Montezuma. Cabuya is very remote and the “main” street is just barely a crossroad. However, there is a lot to offer in terms of horseback riding and exploring the area. Marvin offers beach or jungle tours or a mix if you wish. He’s the only horseback riding tour in Cabuya so he has maximum flexibility to offer you exactly the experience you seek. You can also negotiate different lengths of tours from just a couple hours to the whole day. We had a beach ride and stopped for a break at a lagoon so the horses can have a rest and we enjoyed water and fresh cut pineapple. For a wonderful surprise at the end of our ride, he treated us to local beers!

Marvin has lived in the peninsula a long time and can give you fun facts and tidbits about locals and where the culture has been and where it is going. What also struck me was how well he took care of his horses. If they show any signs of lameness he’d give them plenty of rest and proper vet care and put them out of commission for a while for tours. He has strong opinions about animal welfare and partly went out on his own in Cabuya because he would be able to offer a better standard of care for the horses. His horses are all very fit and have distinct and humorous personalities. Marvin has a good eye for them and for you too if you’re an inexperienced rider. He has good tips for riding and is always watching out for the safety of horse and rider. We had a wonderful experience and I’d recommend El Pinto if you want something less “touristy” and want to explore more remote and private lands.