“Incredible Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 8 Attractions in Montezuma
Type: Horseback Riding Stables
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: El Pinto Expeditions offers daily specialized private horseback rides in Cabuya(near Montezuma). Beach, Jungle and Overnight Moon rides. The horses are family to us, so we love and take good care of them. They are well suited to trail riding, and we care very much about matching people with the right horse. Our speciality is beginner to intermediate level. Marvin gives instructions on techniques for safety & comfort for both the rider & the horse.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Incredible Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

To start off, I had a bad experince with horses when I was about 9 or 10 years old. As a result, I developed a fear of them and have held on to that intimidation for about 12 years, never riding another horse until I rode with Marvin. Marvin assured me his horses were geared for beginners and gave me plenty of proper guidance and instruction so that I instantly felt the most comfortable I've ever been around horses. His confidence in me, and understanding helped me to get over my fear and get back on the saddle. I went on the jungle ride and let me tell you, it has the best views I've seen in Costa Rica! Especially the view of the virgin forest was extremely captivating and beautiful for me. The horses are unbelievably gentle and sweet. They are the best horses I have been around PERIOD and it is so obvious how loved they are by Marvin, they are all handsome and in excellent shape. If you are a beginner and/or have a past bad experience you will benefit greatly from riding with Marvin. This is an incredibly beautiful and authentic costa rican experience to partake on. Marvin has vast knowledge of the area and in my case, I am forever grateful to have seen the beauty of Cabuya from a local's perspective, to let go of my fear of horses (now I absolutely love them and riding), and to have a newfound confidence with these beautiful majestic animals. I would make it an absolute necessity to ride with Marvin and his horses if you come and vacation in the Montezuma/Cabuya area!

Visited December 2012

Oregon
4 attraction reviews
“El Pinto Expeditions- My best vacation experience EVER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Just recently I went on a gorgeous sunset ride to Mal Pais with my husband and horseman Marvin Uva. We witnessed an incredible sunset and had a wonderful time. The horses are so well trained and calm. We left from the small village of Cabuya. The ride lasted 2 hours each way and we returned in the dark with headlamps and good equipment, and we even saw an ocelot! The horses were wonderful and healthy just as they were went we rode with El Pinto about three years ago on Montezuma Beach and it was fun to ride to Mal Pais this time!
I am very confused about the recent bad review as I don't think it is the same company they are talking about!! ! In fact sure not Marvin they are talking about. He is referred to as the horse whisper in the area as he has such a good connection with them and they are well fed and well loved. I am thrilled that he is still doing horse rides there. I have referred many friends who travel as well to Costa Rica who have had excellent experiences when riding with Marvin and his horses. I anxiously await my next venture there! Thank you El PInto!

Visited December 2012
ElPintoExpeditions, Owner at El Pinto Horseback Riding Expeditions, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thanks again for riding with us and for your kind words. I really enjoyed sharing the experience with you all. I know the previous negative reviews are confusing. The reason is because they are posted under the wrong listing. I have called to attention for TripAdvisor to rectify this situation but they have not. I can prove that the reviewers did not go with me and my horses on the waterfall Montezuma tour. I no longer even offer that tour. The company they are referring to, and is using my name in a fraudulent way is named Cabo Blanco Travelers next to Chico’s Bar in Montezuma. The owner’s name is Gerardo Rosales Flores. I have written proof from the original reviewer that it was their company and their horses that provided the service to them, not me. I hope TripAdvisor will correct the problem and put the reviews where they belong because it is allowing these people, who abuse their horses and clients, to get away with it. This defeats the purpose of TripAdvisor. Also it is putting future travelers at risk for going through the same bad experience. It was wonderful riding with you guys, hope to ride with you again.

Cheers,
Marvin
Yellowknife
“Horrible experience!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

The horses were not use to inexperienced riders. The trail was very rocky, my horse tripes three times. Trying to control the horse was horrible!! My horse stared to run and I was told to pull back on the rains to get him to stop or slow down and he bucked me!! Absolutely terrified. There was only one guide who was a small boy, spoke no English. The poor horses had saddle sores :-( I would not recommend this tour to anyone.

ElPintoExpeditions, Owner at El Pinto Horseback Riding Expeditions, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
My name is Marvin Uva, owner and guide of El Pinto Expeditions. Lamenting your bad experience with your tour in Montezuma, I would like to clarify the fact that the tour you are referring to was not with me and my horses. I haven't been operating for the month of October and November, allowing my horses rest for the season. I believe you have been misleaded, Unfortunately this is not the first time that I have received negative reviews due to other inscrupulous people using my name to sell their tours. The well-being of my clients and my horses is top priority for me and I love my horses! Unike the company you went with, using the little boy as a guide, abusing clients and their horses, called Cabo Blanco Travelers (next to Chico's Bar). The owner's name is Gerardo Rosales Flores. I am not disputing your review I am only appealing to your sense of justice, knowing you would like to put the review where it belongs, not with El Pinto Expeditions. Thank you.
Montezuma, Costa Rica
“The best of the horse tours”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I live in Montezuma and own a hotel here, and we recommend El Pinto. We've never had a complaint. The owner, Marvin, has a great reputation here among the expert horse owner and riders in the area, as the horse tour operator who treats his horses, and his clients the best. I highly recommend El Pinto for any of his excursions.

Visited January 2012
Delicias
“Marwin cares about his horses”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

The last review only shows what a good guy he is, Marwin. The horses comes first, not the money and those are the people that you should like to support. That happened the day of the earthquake, 7.6, when one of his horses got hurt and he needed to wait for a veterinarian. Who like to go horseback riding then??? Well obviesly someone who do not care about horses. There are others to go with so why did Rosie not go with them??? Maybe because most things where closed after the earthquake, whitch is understandable for most people. Sorry to see that some people are so selfish. He is just the best to go with and to see his relation with his horses. I go with him every time I come to costa rica and I always will.

Visited September 2012