“Just ok” 3 of 5 stars

Melbourne, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“Just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

as it is only a short walk from town it's a worthwhile side trip but don't expect too much. The place was packed with locals when we were there. The water was cool and refreshing but it was just another waterfall.

Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
“Recommended with a guide”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I hiked the trail with my daughter who was almost four at the time. We could not have found the way without the help of a friendly guide named Carlos, who helped us across the rough spots, even carrying my daughter on his back much of the way. She loved it!

Visited June 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
“Relax or take it to the next level”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Hiking up to the Montezuma falls is a must for anyone visiting the Nicoya Peninsula. I believe it was my favorite part of my trip. You get to hike up a creek to a small pond at the base of a waterfall that is great for swimming, laying out, or jumping off rocks [with caution]. The water is great, and the falls are beautiful. If you want to take it to the next level, hike up to the top of the second waterfall to find another beautiful oasis with a rope swing and ability to dive off the waterfall [so much fun!]. You won't regret making the hike.

Visited March 2013
Portland, Oregon, United States
“zipline your way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

we did the zipline tour. I'd recommend that. Much better than hiking the whole way. Jumping in the pool of the waterfall is so fun. very warm.

Essex County, NJ
12 attraction reviews
“Great Hike and Beautiful Waterfalls”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This is a must-do when in the Montezuma area!

First, let me caution anyone who wants to do the entire hike with children. I advise against it due to steep inclines, poor paths, and rocky terrain. Our 12 year-old was fine, but our 5 year-old could not have done it without help from Carlos (see below). We were told by some people at our resort that a 5 year-old can handle the hike, but they must have been talking about another hike at another waterfall!

When we arrived we were approached by Carlos, a local guide who hangs out in the parking lot at the Falls and obviously waits for tourists to pull in who have no idea where to go and what to see. OK, so we bit and "hired" him to take us from beginning to end. Well, I don't typically fall for this sort of ploy, but I am glad we went with him. He helped take us through the hike, to the falls and the pools, and back out the other side (apparently we took the hard route). Most importantly, he carried our 5 year-old on his back much of the way and personally helped her on the difficult paths. We spent half the day on the trails, at the falls, and swimming in the pools under the watchful eye of our new friend Carlos.

Anyway, this is a very cool and beautiful place to visit. The hike is rigorous and the falls and natural pools are beautiful. Our 12 year-old enjoyed jumping from some of the rocks into one of the pools and we all enjoyed splashing around in the middle of nature.

Great time!