“One of the best attractions!” 4 of 5 stars

Type: Waterfalls
Attraction Details
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
3 attraction reviews
“One of the best attractions!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

The hike to the falls was beautiful- along the river and surrounded by jungle. It was an intermediate hike, some steeper climbs and uneven terrain. The hike to the upper falls was definately an advanced hike. Luckily others had tied ropes in the steepest parts to make it easier to get there. We wore tennis shoes and were VERY grateful we did, however, bringing a pair of sandals with you once you get to the falls isn't a bad idea.
We were here in the dry season, so I imagine the waterfalls weren't as magnificent as when there is more rainfall, but they were still amazing and made for excellent pictures. There were arrows and lines painted on the rocks that made you more confident when jumping. We got to see a porcupine as we went early in the morning to avoid crowds (which we accomplished and didn't see a soul until we started back towards town.) We saw a Jesus Christ lizard, howler monkeys, iguanas (of course) and different species of birds.
Going early in the morning is definately the way to go so you can have a private fresh water swimming pool. We got to the upper falls about 7:30 and left about 8:30 and passed four or five large families on our way out. It took us about 15 minutes to get to the falls and about 25 minutes to get to the upper falls. Even if you aren't interested in jumping (which was totally safe if youre smart about where to jump or just follow the arrows) it is worth the hike up just to see the beauty!

Brampton, Canada
5 attraction reviews
“Nice swimming spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Great place to go for a swim and there is no entrance fee! I hesitated to jump off the second waterfall but after watching about 15 people jump..............I was thinking of the Braveheart quote "Everybody dies but not everybody lives before jumping". I noticed a big bruise on my arm 2 days later. Oh well, at least I didn't get my head chopped off!

Madison, WI
“Coolest place to hang out on a hot day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Well worth the hike, your parents may not want to know the risks you took diving into the pools from the rocks above, but you'll be glad if you do it!

Mount Pleasant
25 attraction reviews
“How is this only the 5th best thing to do here? To me its the only thing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

There is a way to not do as much hiking, read towards the bottom. But I start with saying the fastest way is a real hike, but so worth it. I have to admit there is some dangerous hiking you have to do if you wish to see all 3 waterfalls, but many people I was with wore sandals and still managed to climb up to the top, we had people of all shapes and sizes, but we're in college so maybe more fit than an older person. However, there looked to be a couple in there 60s at the top, but they may have taken the back way. I knew the way because of my friends. They said follow the road the bus station is on, and after the bridge take a right and go up the river and you cant miss it. If you are not a hiker, you can still manage to see all of them, you will just have to walk to the first one as described above, and then hike back, to the start, and continue up the road about 15min. You may want to ask a local to show you. If you only want to swim in the pools that is an option, there won't be much hiking or climbing involved There is a rope swing at the 3rd pool, with a 5-10 ft drop into a pool or you can just climb in. The 2nd waterfall is about 40ft tall, and I recommend a jump, but keep your feet together and pointed down. The first pool has a rock you can jump from about 10ft up. and a cool pool to swim in. In all pools I recommend wearing shoes that you can walk on rocks with and swim in. This place is a must visit! I wouldn't be surprised if someone buys the access points and charges to go on their land so go there while its free

Vancouver, Canada
“Was a great place to visit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Was a short but nice walk up to the second falls, were really happy we visited and enjoyed swimming and watching others jump off the cliffs. Totally enjoyed our visit.

Visited February 2013