“nothing short of heaven on earth” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center
You added Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center to your Saves list
300 mts NE of Mariposario, Montezuma 00001, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
Arlington Heights, Illinois
“nothing short of heaven on earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

Coming to Anamaya was my first time travelling abroad on my own. Needless to say, I was nervous as to what to expect. From the minute that I stepped foot into the grand, beautiful, welcoming resort, it felt like home. The staff treats you like family--actually, better than family. They make sure to go above and beyond to treat you like a friend staying in their home. Everything about my stay at Anamaya was perfect. There is something truly magical about this place. I plan to return as soon as I possibly can and as often as life allows.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

Anamaya - thank you so much for having this vision and sharing it with the entire world. My adventure to Anamaya will be one of my most memorable experiences I have ever had in my entire life and I am grateful. I have met so many inspiring and talented individuals that colorfully shine like gods and goddesses filled with unconditional LOVE on our breathtaking planet Earth. Your vision has brought all of us angels together and we will hold this in our hearts forever. Namaste.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Cayman Islands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

I was a solo traveller, and I wanted a peaceful retreat where I can practise yoga, zip line and hike.

I did a fair bit of research as to where I should go in Costa Rica and opted for Montezuma and Anamaya solely on the reviews on trip advisor, the fact that I was a solo person, safety and from the Anamaya website.

Trust me-the pics you see on the Anamaya website looks exactly like that in person. I took a flight on SansAir from SJO to Tambor, and then the hotel arranged for a pick up at Tambor for a 25 minute drive to Anamaya. Alternatively you can take Nature Air to Tambor, but you have to take a bus from SJO main airport to a smaller airport.

Upon arrival at Anamaya you immediately feel at ease - the view of the forest and the bordering Pacific is simply breathtaking - I was immediately at peace and vacation mode - so much so that I lost track of time and forgot what day I was on.

The staff are lovely - they catered to us, and the food was all fresh and organic and soooo tasty! Trust me - you've never had dessert this good - vegan, dairy-free and tasty.

The yoga was good especially with the view from the yoga deck, and at the back of Anamaya are waterfalls, and the zip lining tours is only about a 7 minute walk. The trip to town is a bit tricky - it's downhill and it takes about 20 minutes - if it rains forget about it - just stay in. But the walk is good exercise, and the restaurants in town are good - they are also focussed on healthy cooking, vegan food, yoga and zumba!

If you do decide to go - look no further - Anamaya is the place to be!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

Anamaya is such a beautiful place from the stunning details of the linens, lighting and furniture to the engaging wildlife and nature! I loved this resort for so many reasons but to sum it up, it felt like I was visiting family in their gorgeous private home. The food was so delicious that it was hard to believe it could be healthy and organic. I did the yoga and meditation retreat, which did not disappoint. The yoga teacher Stella was really fantastic she was incredibly insightful and seemed to be a mind reader of some sort. I felt as if the yoga classes were geared toward me but perhaps everyone felt that way. I was also surprised that Stella could actually be both a great Yoga teacher and a masseuse! I enjoyed her massage so much that I had two of them in a week. The only thing was a little confused about was that there was no meditation or mention of it during my stay even though it was supposed to be part of the package. If you’re going for the meditation specifically then perhaps you should inquire about it first. All in all I was so happy and fulfilled that I never even asked about it. Every last detail of this establishment was otherwise well planned and the photos will never do it justice. The surrounding area of the resot is teaming with adventure, wildlife and beauty so during my 5 day stay I had many wild experiences.

I held a nine month old baby monkey for an hour at Rainsong Wildlife Rescue, I had a pet grasshopper (I named him Fred) in my room that let me hold him, I spotted several types of lizards, butterflies & spiders; I watched the monkey’s play in the trees, passed humpback whales (mother and baby) on the way to Tortuga Island where we also snorkeled. While at the beach on Tortuga Island I had a wild boar (pig), approach me and then roll over on her belly for a rub! She was so friendly that she literally came over and rested her snout on my feet! In addition there were lots of vultures and beautiful birds hanging around on this island. I highly recommend this excursion which was with Zuma Tours, they were great! Lunch was served on glassware! It was tasty too. The ride back on the boat is very wet and choppy so you should bring hooded sweatshirt or rain gear. I also did a bit of hiking while there since I love to hike and this place is not for the amateur hiker! Everything is strenuous and thrilling at the same time. Even a drive in the car is an adventure in Costa Rica, speaking of which let me advise you on this matter since I learned the hard way. If you are planning to rent a 4X4 and drive from San Jose to Anamaya then take my advice….. make sure that you program the GPS properly. I rented a 4X4 for a week from Toyota Rent a Car (they were terrible) and since there are no actual addresses in Costa Rica I had to choose a point of interest on the system. Anamaya was not listed as Hotel on the map so I selected a near by hotel and then set the trip. I should have programmed the GPS to take me to the Ferry and then from the Ferry to the hotel because the GPS did not recognize the ferry as an option and route that was provided was all the way around the water! It was 7 hours of driving through major pot hole ridden gravel roads, steep inclines and pitch blackness. Many of the roads were flooded due to the major rain storm I was traveling in so at times I had to pass through deep bodies of water and go over bridges that seemed to be hanging on by a tread…. it was scary to say the least. On the return I was better prepared and took the ferry which was really easy in comparison. Most of the drive is paved road and it was easy enough find my way around. In spite of my traumatic experience on the way there – the drive was beautiful and scenic so I would recommend doing it via the Ferry route!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

I went to Anamaya on a last minute getaway. I decided to take a solo trip and do the yoga retreat and get in as much relaxation and pleasure in one week as possible. I came to the right place. I'll never forget how I giggled with excitement the moment that I stepped foot into the main room and looked over the hills, ocean, infinity pool, and yoga deck. I saw the pictures on their website before my arrival and I didn't think that it would actually be as nice as the pictures. But yes, it was actually more stunning than the photographs. I literally couldn't wipe the grin off my face for a good hour and a half after I arrived. I just kept saying out loud to whomever was in ear shot, "I just can't believe *this* is where I'll be spending the next week."

We were greeted with homemade "snacks" which consisted of freshly grilled local vegetables wrapped in a tortilla with beans and fresh cheese. My package deal included three meals a day. I happen to be obsessed with food and literally during each meal, all I could talk about was how good the food was. I was not once even close to dissatisfied with a single meal there. I think that fellow retreaters were starting to get annoyed with my enjoyment of all the glorious food. I looked forward to every meal at the dining room table and with each bite, my hand automatically found it's way to my heart. I just sat there with my hand over my heart giggling with pleasure and excitement over the food. All of the food is prepared fresh without the use of canned foods (tomatoes, coconut milk, etc). and no sugar and limited use of dairy. I felt that every day I was filling myself up with all good things Costa Rica had to offer. And that extended beyond the food.

I did yoga daily with a delightful instructor who instantly connected with everyone on the retreat. I truly can't imagine a more beautiful or perfect spot to practice yoga. We were overlooking the rainforest and ocean and surrounded by the sounds of birds and whatever else you may find in a rainforest. The temperature was perfect. I breathed in fresh air, rather than the stuffy air of a yoga studio.

Signing up for a week at Anamaya is a stress and worry-free way to go about your travels. If you wanted to participate in an activity outside of the resort, you just sign up and they make all the arrangements for you. These extra activities include a nine-line zipline course, horse back riding, massage, snorkeling and a couple other things. I took advantage of everything because it was so cheap and so worth it! Not too far from the resort is a beautiful waterfall that you can jump and play in. It's just walking distance from the resort.

I noticed so many small details at Anamaya and I kept thinking to myself, "They've thought of everything." Guests may help themselves to fresh fruit and coffee and tea throughout the day and they use the honor system for refreshments that cost such as organic beer and wine, etc. At night, there are lanterns and lamps that fill the resort with a soft glow. Music plays. Harmony fills the resort and you can feel that same harmony in your own body and spirit, too. I felt completely taken care of, anything that I needed was accommodated and the staff had impeccable service.

I could literally go on and on (and I have since my return last month) but I don't want to give too much away and would prefer that people experience this magical place on their own. If you're considering staying at Anamaya, I would recommend it full heartedly. I cannot come close to explaining how grateful I was to spend a week there and I absolutely plan on going back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Key Biscayne, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

From the minute I walked into the main house I went into deep relaxation mode. We ( two other guests who I shared a cab ride with from the Tambor landing strip) were greeted at the front door by Joseph, one of the owners. I had spoken to him by phone a few times prior to my trip and he had been extremely helpful and friendly and answered all my questions. I was taken to my room by an employee and then told to come have something to eat. They prepared a vegetarian and non vegetarian selection of delicious wraps which we gobbled down and then I sat for a while just staring at "the view." The view which is depicted on their website is exactly how it looks in person as are all their photos. The service couldn't have been better and the food was fresh, delicious and beautifully presented, as well as bountiful! I stayed in the Jungle room which was like sleeping in a tree house with glass walls. It was cool enough at night that I could leave the screens open and just turn on the ceiling fans. The bed was very comfortable and I fell asleep to the sounds of a waterfall down the hill from the property. I awoke to a rooster and Howler monkeys @5:30 am (7:30 in Miami) which is when the sun rises. A great experience for me! We practiced yoga, breathing and meditation in the mornings and then usually had another class in the afternoon on an outdoor yoga deck with incredible views. We ventured out to several planned and some unplanned activities and returned for an always delicious lunch. Dinner was a highlight since all the guests, and the owners when they were there, sat at the dining room table and shared our day's experiences as well as talked about many other things. I felt as if I were renting a beach house with several friends and sometimes even like I was in my own home. They are very welcoming, warm and accommodating with the guests. The employees were wonderful and I had one of the best massages I have ever had with Ana Laura. This kind of trip was perfect for me. I travel alone a lot and so meeting people is priority to me. It is a very casual and relaxed atmosphere and I loved it though I know many folks don't know how to relax that way and spend time in the company of strangers. Not a problem for me at all. I can't wait to go back to Anamaya Resort. In fact, I dream of renting out the entire place (it sleeps 22 I believe) and taking my family and best friends to experience the sense of peace and wellbeing I felt when I was there. In my opinion Joseph, Geoff & Kelsey have created a very unique place. I wish them much continued success!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Bracebridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

My husband and I visited Anamaya for our honeymoon this past March and we were thrilled. The resort is just stunning. It had the perfect combination of relaxation, friendliness and tranquility we were seeking. We did not want to go to a typical resort with lots of people and this place was cozy. We got to know all the guests and staff by name, enjoy dinner and breakfast in their company at an intimate large dinner table. The food was amazing. Fresh, healthy creative dishes all prepared with the finest ingredients and oh, so healthy too. If you wanted you could participate in yoga early morning classes while you watched the sun come up. We preferred the off the beach locale and being on the mountain top provided for the most stunning views of the ocean and sun rises and sun sets. The rooms were very comfortable with just the right amount of amenities. We enjoyed the infinity pool and large covered deck. In March, it is very hot in Costa Rica, so there was a nice breeze being up high and then a dip in the infinity pool made you feel like you were on top of the world. I would highly recommend Anamaya and we will be returning for sure!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center? Share your experiences!