“A week of pure pleasure and relaxation. The best solo vacation I could imagine.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center
You added Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center to your Saves list
300 mts NE of Mariposario, Montezuma 00001, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

I went to Anamaya on a last minute getaway. I decided to take a solo trip and do the yoga retreat and get in as much relaxation and pleasure in one week as possible. I came to the right place. I'll never forget how I giggled with excitement the moment that I stepped foot into the main room and looked over the hills, ocean, infinity pool, and yoga deck. I saw the pictures on their website before my arrival and I didn't think that it would actually be as nice as the pictures. But yes, it was actually more stunning than the photographs. I literally couldn't wipe the grin off my face for a good hour and a half after I arrived. I just kept saying out loud to whomever was in ear shot, "I just can't believe *this* is where I'll be spending the next week."

We were greeted with homemade "snacks" which consisted of freshly grilled local vegetables wrapped in a tortilla with beans and fresh cheese. My package deal included three meals a day. I happen to be obsessed with food and literally during each meal, all I could talk about was how good the food was. I was not once even close to dissatisfied with a single meal there. I think that fellow retreaters were starting to get annoyed with my enjoyment of all the glorious food. I looked forward to every meal at the dining room table and with each bite, my hand automatically found it's way to my heart. I just sat there with my hand over my heart giggling with pleasure and excitement over the food. All of the food is prepared fresh without the use of canned foods (tomatoes, coconut milk, etc). and no sugar and limited use of dairy. I felt that every day I was filling myself up with all good things Costa Rica had to offer. And that extended beyond the food.

I did yoga daily with a delightful instructor who instantly connected with everyone on the retreat. I truly can't imagine a more beautiful or perfect spot to practice yoga. We were overlooking the rainforest and ocean and surrounded by the sounds of birds and whatever else you may find in a rainforest. The temperature was perfect. I breathed in fresh air, rather than the stuffy air of a yoga studio.

Signing up for a week at Anamaya is a stress and worry-free way to go about your travels. If you wanted to participate in an activity outside of the resort, you just sign up and they make all the arrangements for you. These extra activities include a nine-line zipline course, horse back riding, massage, snorkeling and a couple other things. I took advantage of everything because it was so cheap and so worth it! Not too far from the resort is a beautiful waterfall that you can jump and play in. It's just walking distance from the resort.

I noticed so many small details at Anamaya and I kept thinking to myself, "They've thought of everything." Guests may help themselves to fresh fruit and coffee and tea throughout the day and they use the honor system for refreshments that cost such as organic beer and wine, etc. At night, there are lanterns and lamps that fill the resort with a soft glow. Music plays. Harmony fills the resort and you can feel that same harmony in your own body and spirit, too. I felt completely taken care of, anything that I needed was accommodated and the staff had impeccable service.

I could literally go on and on (and I have since my return last month) but I don't want to give too much away and would prefer that people experience this magical place on their own. If you're considering staying at Anamaya, I would recommend it full heartedly. I cannot come close to explaining how grateful I was to spend a week there and I absolutely plan on going back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Key Biscayne, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

From the minute I walked into the main house I went into deep relaxation mode. We ( two other guests who I shared a cab ride with from the Tambor landing strip) were greeted at the front door by Joseph, one of the owners. I had spoken to him by phone a few times prior to my trip and he had been extremely helpful and friendly and answered all my questions. I was taken to my room by an employee and then told to come have something to eat. They prepared a vegetarian and non vegetarian selection of delicious wraps which we gobbled down and then I sat for a while just staring at "the view." The view which is depicted on their website is exactly how it looks in person as are all their photos. The service couldn't have been better and the food was fresh, delicious and beautifully presented, as well as bountiful! I stayed in the Jungle room which was like sleeping in a tree house with glass walls. It was cool enough at night that I could leave the screens open and just turn on the ceiling fans. The bed was very comfortable and I fell asleep to the sounds of a waterfall down the hill from the property. I awoke to a rooster and Howler monkeys @5:30 am (7:30 in Miami) which is when the sun rises. A great experience for me! We practiced yoga, breathing and meditation in the mornings and then usually had another class in the afternoon on an outdoor yoga deck with incredible views. We ventured out to several planned and some unplanned activities and returned for an always delicious lunch. Dinner was a highlight since all the guests, and the owners when they were there, sat at the dining room table and shared our day's experiences as well as talked about many other things. I felt as if I were renting a beach house with several friends and sometimes even like I was in my own home. They are very welcoming, warm and accommodating with the guests. The employees were wonderful and I had one of the best massages I have ever had with Ana Laura. This kind of trip was perfect for me. I travel alone a lot and so meeting people is priority to me. It is a very casual and relaxed atmosphere and I loved it though I know many folks don't know how to relax that way and spend time in the company of strangers. Not a problem for me at all. I can't wait to go back to Anamaya Resort. In fact, I dream of renting out the entire place (it sleeps 22 I believe) and taking my family and best friends to experience the sense of peace and wellbeing I felt when I was there. In my opinion Joseph, Geoff & Kelsey have created a very unique place. I wish them much continued success!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Bracebridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

My husband and I visited Anamaya for our honeymoon this past March and we were thrilled. The resort is just stunning. It had the perfect combination of relaxation, friendliness and tranquility we were seeking. We did not want to go to a typical resort with lots of people and this place was cozy. We got to know all the guests and staff by name, enjoy dinner and breakfast in their company at an intimate large dinner table. The food was amazing. Fresh, healthy creative dishes all prepared with the finest ingredients and oh, so healthy too. If you wanted you could participate in yoga early morning classes while you watched the sun come up. We preferred the off the beach locale and being on the mountain top provided for the most stunning views of the ocean and sun rises and sun sets. The rooms were very comfortable with just the right amount of amenities. We enjoyed the infinity pool and large covered deck. In March, it is very hot in Costa Rica, so there was a nice breeze being up high and then a dip in the infinity pool made you feel like you were on top of the world. I would highly recommend Anamaya and we will be returning for sure!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

One of the most beautiful places we ever stayed. There's bugs, but you really don't even notice. The views were breathtaking, the food was excellent and the whole thing was really just surreal. It's a very very unique setting in which you get to know the cook and the other guests very well. The pool is beautiful. We never got massages but hear they were amazing. Oscar is the cook and what a great guy! He helped us with so much stuff, aside from preparing wonderful dinners for us. The only drawback is that if you want to go into town (or back from town) it can be very hard to find transportation.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Plano, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

Anamaya is a great welcoming place to wind down and get away from it all. Nestled in the dry forest, yet minutes away from the "town" of Montezuma. Adventure is close at hand, or you can lay in a hammock and read your book all day - either way, you will be well cared for. The staff at Anamaya wants you to be well fed and happy and they do a great job of making sure that happens. If you're looking for fun and relaxation in a setting that feels like you've been dropped off at a rich relative's home, this is the place for you! And everything was as it was represented on the website, a nice change of pace from those who oversell...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

Tina, who wrote the previous review, was one of the fellow guests at Anamaya when my son and I attended. She left after a few lovely days of her company, and new guests arrived. My son had just graduated from University and I wanted a mind, body, spirit kind of experience as a send off. After truly checking locations around the world for yoga retreats, and because I had been to Costa Rica before, when I saw Anamaya's program, I excitedly booked. Part of me wants to keep this place secret, the other part knows that I need to share the amazing experience for others to enjoy.

Everything Tina says is 100% accurate; the owners are of high intention, the vibe is elevated, the willingness to please by the chefs unmatched, the views unparalleled, our yoga teacher an avatar of ability and wisdom. We bonded with a mother and daughter team from Houston, and were basically enchanted by everyone with whom we came into contact, from the 21 year old third year Berkeley student to gorgeous Manhattan Tina to the young family from Pacific Palisades, and a chef that looked like Antonio Banderas. There was an easy symbiotic coexistence between the insect world and other species and the space we shared with them; the tropics are where gekkos and praying mantis, butterflies and hummingbirds and plenty of others, have their playground, as well. If it all sounds too good to be true, it isn't. We just hope they remember a few of their "charter members" at our next booking time!!! LOL! Much gratitude to Joseph, Geoff and the fabulous staff!

• Stayed July 2010
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

A friend of mine recommended Anamaya to me as the best spot for a mind, body, spirit experience in Costa Rica. She has an amazing B&B in Lisbon so I already had high expectations but my trip surpassed any of them. I flew on a small 10 seater plane to Tambor, the closest airport. Driving 40 mins through rolling green hills, beautiful scenery, ocean creeping up around every corner, I knew I was going exactly where I wanted - away from the office, hectic days and city hustle. I stayed in the Prana hut with a fantastic view of the ocean, jungle and had my own hammack on the beuatiful terrace. I took yoga classes every morning at 8 am overlooking the gorgeous ocean view and observing hummingbirds, butterflies, monkeys and flocks of green parrots. While enjoying the shivasana you could start smelling a delicious breakfast and coffee brewing in the kitchen. A dip in the infinity pool after breakfast completed the morning experience. The resort happens to have its own entrance to the three step waterfall and is next to a canopy tour, 5 mins from the small surf town and the nice Montezuma beach where you can take a nice 45 min walk along the beach. Dinner was a gourmet experience of its own- breakfast included home made granola with coconut milk, wholewheat pancakes with molasses, french toast and delicious fruit...the chef surprised us every night with a different meal - sushi, ceviche with the catch of the day, flowerless sugarless chocolate cake with mint and pepper cream, home made thyme lemongrass, ginger sorbet, quinoa and salmon with tomatillo sauce, seafood paella with local seasonings and of course fresh fish of the day.... The yoga instructor happened to be a 2 in 1 massagist - so I ended up with a divine massage using freshly mixed coconut oil and lavender extract... Must also mention the infrared sauna which unlike spa sauna's enjoys a view of tropical plants and ocean view around you. And if all this is not enough you can also give it a shot at aerial acrobatics since at some point a Cirque du Soleil performer gave a class there and the main hall still has the special cloth hanging from the ceiling. Honestly this was such an amazing experience and I feel so lucky to have ended up there. I work in finance in NYC and this 4 day trip zenned me up completely.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Been to Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center? Share your experiences!