“Anamaya is Stunning!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center
300 mts NE of Mariposario, Montezuma 00001, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 19 hotels in Montezuma
Bracebridge, Canada
“Anamaya is Stunning!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

My husband and I visited Anamaya for our honeymoon this past March and we were thrilled. The resort is just stunning. It had the perfect combination of relaxation, friendliness and tranquility we were seeking. We did not want to go to a typical resort with lots of people and this place was cozy. We got to know all the guests and staff by name, enjoy dinner and breakfast in their company at an intimate large dinner table. The food was amazing. Fresh, healthy creative dishes all prepared with the finest ingredients and oh, so healthy too. If you wanted you could participate in yoga early morning classes while you watched the sun come up. We preferred the off the beach locale and being on the mountain top provided for the most stunning views of the ocean and sun rises and sun sets. The rooms were very comfortable with just the right amount of amenities. We enjoyed the infinity pool and large covered deck. In March, it is very hot in Costa Rica, so there was a nice breeze being up high and then a dip in the infinity pool made you feel like you were on top of the world. I would highly recommend Anamaya and we will be returning for sure!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

130 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

One of the most beautiful places we ever stayed. There's bugs, but you really don't even notice. The views were breathtaking, the food was excellent and the whole thing was really just surreal. It's a very very unique setting in which you get to know the cook and the other guests very well. The pool is beautiful. We never got massages but hear they were amazing. Oscar is the cook and what a great guy! He helped us with so much stuff, aside from preparing wonderful dinners for us. The only drawback is that if you want to go into town (or back from town) it can be very hard to find transportation.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Plano, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

Anamaya is a great welcoming place to wind down and get away from it all. Nestled in the dry forest, yet minutes away from the "town" of Montezuma. Adventure is close at hand, or you can lay in a hammock and read your book all day - either way, you will be well cared for. The staff at Anamaya wants you to be well fed and happy and they do a great job of making sure that happens. If you're looking for fun and relaxation in a setting that feels like you've been dropped off at a rich relative's home, this is the place for you! And everything was as it was represented on the website, a nice change of pace from those who oversell...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

Tina, who wrote the previous review, was one of the fellow guests at Anamaya when my son and I attended. She left after a few lovely days of her company, and new guests arrived. My son had just graduated from University and I wanted a mind, body, spirit kind of experience as a send off. After truly checking locations around the world for yoga retreats, and because I had been to Costa Rica before, when I saw Anamaya's program, I excitedly booked. Part of me wants to keep this place secret, the other part knows that I need to share the amazing experience for others to enjoy.

Everything Tina says is 100% accurate; the owners are of high intention, the vibe is elevated, the willingness to please by the chefs unmatched, the views unparalleled, our yoga teacher an avatar of ability and wisdom. We bonded with a mother and daughter team from Houston, and were basically enchanted by everyone with whom we came into contact, from the 21 year old third year Berkeley student to gorgeous Manhattan Tina to the young family from Pacific Palisades, and a chef that looked like Antonio Banderas. There was an easy symbiotic coexistence between the insect world and other species and the space we shared with them; the tropics are where gekkos and praying mantis, butterflies and hummingbirds and plenty of others, have their playground, as well. If it all sounds too good to be true, it isn't. We just hope they remember a few of their "charter members" at our next booking time!!! LOL! Much gratitude to Joseph, Geoff and the fabulous staff!

• Stayed July 2010
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

A friend of mine recommended Anamaya to me as the best spot for a mind, body, spirit experience in Costa Rica. She has an amazing B&B in Lisbon so I already had high expectations but my trip surpassed any of them. I flew on a small 10 seater plane to Tambor, the closest airport. Driving 40 mins through rolling green hills, beautiful scenery, ocean creeping up around every corner, I knew I was going exactly where I wanted - away from the office, hectic days and city hustle. I stayed in the Prana hut with a fantastic view of the ocean, jungle and had my own hammack on the beuatiful terrace. I took yoga classes every morning at 8 am overlooking the gorgeous ocean view and observing hummingbirds, butterflies, monkeys and flocks of green parrots. While enjoying the shivasana you could start smelling a delicious breakfast and coffee brewing in the kitchen. A dip in the infinity pool after breakfast completed the morning experience. The resort happens to have its own entrance to the three step waterfall and is next to a canopy tour, 5 mins from the small surf town and the nice Montezuma beach where you can take a nice 45 min walk along the beach. Dinner was a gourmet experience of its own- breakfast included home made granola with coconut milk, wholewheat pancakes with molasses, french toast and delicious fruit...the chef surprised us every night with a different meal - sushi, ceviche with the catch of the day, flowerless sugarless chocolate cake with mint and pepper cream, home made thyme lemongrass, ginger sorbet, quinoa and salmon with tomatillo sauce, seafood paella with local seasonings and of course fresh fish of the day.... The yoga instructor happened to be a 2 in 1 massagist - so I ended up with a divine massage using freshly mixed coconut oil and lavender extract... Must also mention the infrared sauna which unlike spa sauna's enjoys a view of tropical plants and ocean view around you. And if all this is not enough you can also give it a shot at aerial acrobatics since at some point a Cirque du Soleil performer gave a class there and the main hall still has the special cloth hanging from the ceiling. Honestly this was such an amazing experience and I feel so lucky to have ended up there. I work in finance in NYC and this 4 day trip zenned me up completely.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

Montezuma is a magical place in Costa Rica, with rocky beaches, phenomenal hikes, wildlife, zip-lining, and a truly wonderful restaurant called "Organico" - which was inspired by "Cafe Gratitude" here in SF.

Anamaya is set in the hills just a few minutes from town overlooking the ocean with beautiful sweeping panoramic views, incredible sunsets, and a great vibe. The infinity pool is wonderful, and the design of the homes on this property is stunning. The staff are warm, attentive, and friendly and they genuinely care about your experience there.

I stayed in the Bali house, which is a gorgeous cabin set next to the main home on the property. I would highly recommend it for a couple, or solo-traveler. The walls of the cabin are almost entirely composed of glass, but heavy curtains can be pulled across the entire interior of the cabin to close it off in the evening.

If you're planning a trip to Montezuma, there is no better place to stay than Anamaya.

Enjoy!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

I went to Anamaya to get away from it all and that's exactly what I got. The view outside my cabina was just incredible--all I could see was miles of green and then the ocean beyond that. Food was so clean and delicious and the staff were so friendly and helpful. What can be better than cooling off in a pool overlooking the ocean and then lying in a hammock listening to the sounds of the rainforest?! Sigh, I'd go back in a minute.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Been to Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center? Share your experiences!