“A peaceful, panoramic, warm, friendly, and relaxing treat!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center
You added Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center to your Saves list
300 mts NE of Mariposario, Montezuma 00001, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
Plano, Texas
“A peaceful, panoramic, warm, friendly, and relaxing treat!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

Anamaya is a great welcoming place to wind down and get away from it all. Nestled in the dry forest, yet minutes away from the "town" of Montezuma. Adventure is close at hand, or you can lay in a hammock and read your book all day - either way, you will be well cared for. The staff at Anamaya wants you to be well fed and happy and they do a great job of making sure that happens. If you're looking for fun and relaxation in a setting that feels like you've been dropped off at a rich relative's home, this is the place for you! And everything was as it was represented on the website, a nice change of pace from those who oversell...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

Tina, who wrote the previous review, was one of the fellow guests at Anamaya when my son and I attended. She left after a few lovely days of her company, and new guests arrived. My son had just graduated from University and I wanted a mind, body, spirit kind of experience as a send off. After truly checking locations around the world for yoga retreats, and because I had been to Costa Rica before, when I saw Anamaya's program, I excitedly booked. Part of me wants to keep this place secret, the other part knows that I need to share the amazing experience for others to enjoy.

Everything Tina says is 100% accurate; the owners are of high intention, the vibe is elevated, the willingness to please by the chefs unmatched, the views unparalleled, our yoga teacher an avatar of ability and wisdom. We bonded with a mother and daughter team from Houston, and were basically enchanted by everyone with whom we came into contact, from the 21 year old third year Berkeley student to gorgeous Manhattan Tina to the young family from Pacific Palisades, and a chef that looked like Antonio Banderas. There was an easy symbiotic coexistence between the insect world and other species and the space we shared with them; the tropics are where gekkos and praying mantis, butterflies and hummingbirds and plenty of others, have their playground, as well. If it all sounds too good to be true, it isn't. We just hope they remember a few of their "charter members" at our next booking time!!! LOL! Much gratitude to Joseph, Geoff and the fabulous staff!

• Stayed July 2010
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

A friend of mine recommended Anamaya to me as the best spot for a mind, body, spirit experience in Costa Rica. She has an amazing B&B in Lisbon so I already had high expectations but my trip surpassed any of them. I flew on a small 10 seater plane to Tambor, the closest airport. Driving 40 mins through rolling green hills, beautiful scenery, ocean creeping up around every corner, I knew I was going exactly where I wanted - away from the office, hectic days and city hustle. I stayed in the Prana hut with a fantastic view of the ocean, jungle and had my own hammack on the beuatiful terrace. I took yoga classes every morning at 8 am overlooking the gorgeous ocean view and observing hummingbirds, butterflies, monkeys and flocks of green parrots. While enjoying the shivasana you could start smelling a delicious breakfast and coffee brewing in the kitchen. A dip in the infinity pool after breakfast completed the morning experience. The resort happens to have its own entrance to the three step waterfall and is next to a canopy tour, 5 mins from the small surf town and the nice Montezuma beach where you can take a nice 45 min walk along the beach. Dinner was a gourmet experience of its own- breakfast included home made granola with coconut milk, wholewheat pancakes with molasses, french toast and delicious fruit...the chef surprised us every night with a different meal - sushi, ceviche with the catch of the day, flowerless sugarless chocolate cake with mint and pepper cream, home made thyme lemongrass, ginger sorbet, quinoa and salmon with tomatillo sauce, seafood paella with local seasonings and of course fresh fish of the day.... The yoga instructor happened to be a 2 in 1 massagist - so I ended up with a divine massage using freshly mixed coconut oil and lavender extract... Must also mention the infrared sauna which unlike spa sauna's enjoys a view of tropical plants and ocean view around you. And if all this is not enough you can also give it a shot at aerial acrobatics since at some point a Cirque du Soleil performer gave a class there and the main hall still has the special cloth hanging from the ceiling. Honestly this was such an amazing experience and I feel so lucky to have ended up there. I work in finance in NYC and this 4 day trip zenned me up completely.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

Montezuma is a magical place in Costa Rica, with rocky beaches, phenomenal hikes, wildlife, zip-lining, and a truly wonderful restaurant called "Organico" - which was inspired by "Cafe Gratitude" here in SF.

Anamaya is set in the hills just a few minutes from town overlooking the ocean with beautiful sweeping panoramic views, incredible sunsets, and a great vibe. The infinity pool is wonderful, and the design of the homes on this property is stunning. The staff are warm, attentive, and friendly and they genuinely care about your experience there.

I stayed in the Bali house, which is a gorgeous cabin set next to the main home on the property. I would highly recommend it for a couple, or solo-traveler. The walls of the cabin are almost entirely composed of glass, but heavy curtains can be pulled across the entire interior of the cabin to close it off in the evening.

If you're planning a trip to Montezuma, there is no better place to stay than Anamaya.

Enjoy!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

I went to Anamaya to get away from it all and that's exactly what I got. The view outside my cabina was just incredible--all I could see was miles of green and then the ocean beyond that. Food was so clean and delicious and the staff were so friendly and helpful. What can be better than cooling off in a pool overlooking the ocean and then lying in a hammock listening to the sounds of the rainforest?! Sigh, I'd go back in a minute.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

I feel delinquent in that it took me so long to comment on this awesome resort. My boyfriend and I were lucky enough to be some of the first guests at Anamaya. I had booked this trip to Costa Rica only a couple of days earlier and had randomly stumbled upon Anamaya from my desperate web search to find accommodations. I am a yoga teacher and dedicated yogi- my boyfriend.. not so much. He was very nervous that this would be too "trippy" for him.

I called and spoke to Joseph on the phone and found him to be lovely... so despite the fact that he could only offer us a room that "may not be finished" I decided to take the risk.

We arrived a bit weary after starting our travels at 4 am that morning and got dropped off at the house. It is on a beautiful property. My b-friend and I walked in to see a woman hanging from ropes on the ceiling! Everyone was sitting in the kitchen and the place had an immediate family/kirtan/cool-vibe hippie thing going on. Turns out she was giving a demonstration in the aerial acrobatics... tre cool. Of course my bf was a bit nervous.

Me and the boy met all of the other guests who made us some blended drinks as we talked in the infinity pool. It was intimate, but at the same time, you could absolutely do your own thing. Turns our our house was finished and it was awesome. Here, everyone congregates in the main house, but has their own houses to go back to... I spend a lot of delicious nights in my hammock listening to the monkeys.

I loved this place, as did my boyfriend. Mr. "Nervous about the yoga vibe" was Mr. Anamaya by the time we left. I thought he may stay. By the end of the trip, he had done yoga every morning with me and couldn't stop talking about how amazing it was!!

It was hard to choose whether or not to leave the beauty of Anamaya... so we rarely did.

With respect to yoga..Danielle is an AMAZING instructor (She teaches Anusara style yoga). Like I said, I teach yoga and have been practicing for 10 years. She was adept in her practice and was excellent with both beginner and advanced practitioners. In fact I liked her so much, that for my birthday, I took a private lesson with her which helped me finally learn to do a handstand (thanks Danielle-- I know teach "side body long, shoulders together for handstand help!!). My boyfriend was also raving about the classes and because we got to know every one there, we had the opportunity to also talk to her outside of yoga. She is a great person!

Joseph, the manager of Anamaya is also very awesome. His interest lies with organic food and cleanses and is really interesting. Both he and Danielle do fire dancing which I wish I got the chance to see. Joseph will go out of his way to make sure that you have an experience that you will always remember. He cooked us breakfast when Ana (the best cook) was not there and it was healthy and refreshing. I would absolutely come back to do a food oriented cleanse with Joseph.

We hung out with the other people staying at the lodge and had a great time meeting very unique and fun individuals. I wish we had more time here.

No matter who you are you will love it here. Don't come with any expecations.. it will blow you away.
Danielle and Joseph, Jon and I (Liz) hope to see you soon.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

This hotel is beautiful; apparently the owners used to live here, added some other accomodations and turned it into a hotel. Location is up high on a hill...not walking distance to beach or town. Long, hot, dusty roads to the bottom. Upon arriving we were delighted by the beauty of the main area...just beautiful with inifinity pool and views. The owner/manager Joseph was very pleasant upon arriving and there were many other people milling around and we didn't know if they were staff or guests and they did not say anything upon our arrival. Later we found they were mostly staff. This is a place if you are into yoga, are not a drinker/partier, and generally laid back you will fit in well with the yogi owners. We felt like we were intruding on someones personal space. The other owner/yoga instructor was aloof and even when directly speaking to her she gave the feeling that she was being put out by having to speak to you. The hotel lists internet provided....there was an employee; Heidi, who CONSUMED the only available laptop so if you could get to it before she did you could try to use it....not a great connection and took many trys to access. Our room was beautful and it was sometimes cleaned; we stayed several days and some days not.....unsure of there method of cleaning. The Costa Rican employees; Oscar, Yohan and I belive Anna were warm, tried to take of your needs; cooked and were really the delight of the staff.
The food Oscar made for dinner was good, his energy and warmth made it great.
The place should be a community vibe/feel because you share the majority of the space, but, I think it misses greatly. They are new. Hopefully, it will be better down the road.
Must be ok with Geckos, scorpions, lot's o' bugs as the spaces are very open.
AC worked decently.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center? Share your experiences!