“Best Solo Trip ever” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center
Save Saved
You added Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center to your Saves list
300 mts NE of Mariposario, Montezuma 00001, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
New York City, New York
“Best Solo Trip ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

A friend of mine recommended Anamaya to me as the best spot for a mind, body, spirit experience in Costa Rica. She has an amazing B&B in Lisbon so I already had high expectations but my trip surpassed any of them. I flew on a small 10 seater plane to Tambor, the closest airport. Driving 40 mins through rolling green hills, beautiful scenery, ocean creeping up around every corner, I knew I was going exactly where I wanted - away from the office, hectic days and city hustle. I stayed in the Prana hut with a fantastic view of the ocean, jungle and had my own hammack on the beuatiful terrace. I took yoga classes every morning at 8 am overlooking the gorgeous ocean view and observing hummingbirds, butterflies, monkeys and flocks of green parrots. While enjoying the shivasana you could start smelling a delicious breakfast and coffee brewing in the kitchen. A dip in the infinity pool after breakfast completed the morning experience. The resort happens to have its own entrance to the three step waterfall and is next to a canopy tour, 5 mins from the small surf town and the nice Montezuma beach where you can take a nice 45 min walk along the beach. Dinner was a gourmet experience of its own- breakfast included home made granola with coconut milk, wholewheat pancakes with molasses, french toast and delicious fruit...the chef surprised us every night with a different meal - sushi, ceviche with the catch of the day, flowerless sugarless chocolate cake with mint and pepper cream, home made thyme lemongrass, ginger sorbet, quinoa and salmon with tomatillo sauce, seafood paella with local seasonings and of course fresh fish of the day.... The yoga instructor happened to be a 2 in 1 massagist - so I ended up with a divine massage using freshly mixed coconut oil and lavender extract... Must also mention the infrared sauna which unlike spa sauna's enjoys a view of tropical plants and ocean view around you. And if all this is not enough you can also give it a shot at aerial acrobatics since at some point a Cirque du Soleil performer gave a class there and the main hall still has the special cloth hanging from the ceiling. Honestly this was such an amazing experience and I feel so lucky to have ended up there. I work in finance in NYC and this 4 day trip zenned me up completely.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

Montezuma is a magical place in Costa Rica, with rocky beaches, phenomenal hikes, wildlife, zip-lining, and a truly wonderful restaurant called "Organico" - which was inspired by "Cafe Gratitude" here in SF.

Anamaya is set in the hills just a few minutes from town overlooking the ocean with beautiful sweeping panoramic views, incredible sunsets, and a great vibe. The infinity pool is wonderful, and the design of the homes on this property is stunning. The staff are warm, attentive, and friendly and they genuinely care about your experience there.

I stayed in the Bali house, which is a gorgeous cabin set next to the main home on the property. I would highly recommend it for a couple, or solo-traveler. The walls of the cabin are almost entirely composed of glass, but heavy curtains can be pulled across the entire interior of the cabin to close it off in the evening.

If you're planning a trip to Montezuma, there is no better place to stay than Anamaya.

Enjoy!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

I went to Anamaya to get away from it all and that's exactly what I got. The view outside my cabina was just incredible--all I could see was miles of green and then the ocean beyond that. Food was so clean and delicious and the staff were so friendly and helpful. What can be better than cooling off in a pool overlooking the ocean and then lying in a hammock listening to the sounds of the rainforest?! Sigh, I'd go back in a minute.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

I feel delinquent in that it took me so long to comment on this awesome resort. My boyfriend and I were lucky enough to be some of the first guests at Anamaya. I had booked this trip to Costa Rica only a couple of days earlier and had randomly stumbled upon Anamaya from my desperate web search to find accommodations. I am a yoga teacher and dedicated yogi- my boyfriend.. not so much. He was very nervous that this would be too "trippy" for him.

I called and spoke to Joseph on the phone and found him to be lovely... so despite the fact that he could only offer us a room that "may not be finished" I decided to take the risk.

We arrived a bit weary after starting our travels at 4 am that morning and got dropped off at the house. It is on a beautiful property. My b-friend and I walked in to see a woman hanging from ropes on the ceiling! Everyone was sitting in the kitchen and the place had an immediate family/kirtan/cool-vibe hippie thing going on. Turns out she was giving a demonstration in the aerial acrobatics... tre cool. Of course my bf was a bit nervous.

Me and the boy met all of the other guests who made us some blended drinks as we talked in the infinity pool. It was intimate, but at the same time, you could absolutely do your own thing. Turns our our house was finished and it was awesome. Here, everyone congregates in the main house, but has their own houses to go back to... I spend a lot of delicious nights in my hammock listening to the monkeys.

I loved this place, as did my boyfriend. Mr. "Nervous about the yoga vibe" was Mr. Anamaya by the time we left. I thought he may stay. By the end of the trip, he had done yoga every morning with me and couldn't stop talking about how amazing it was!!

It was hard to choose whether or not to leave the beauty of Anamaya... so we rarely did.

With respect to yoga..Danielle is an AMAZING instructor (She teaches Anusara style yoga). Like I said, I teach yoga and have been practicing for 10 years. She was adept in her practice and was excellent with both beginner and advanced practitioners. In fact I liked her so much, that for my birthday, I took a private lesson with her which helped me finally learn to do a handstand (thanks Danielle-- I know teach "side body long, shoulders together for handstand help!!). My boyfriend was also raving about the classes and because we got to know every one there, we had the opportunity to also talk to her outside of yoga. She is a great person!

Joseph, the manager of Anamaya is also very awesome. His interest lies with organic food and cleanses and is really interesting. Both he and Danielle do fire dancing which I wish I got the chance to see. Joseph will go out of his way to make sure that you have an experience that you will always remember. He cooked us breakfast when Ana (the best cook) was not there and it was healthy and refreshing. I would absolutely come back to do a food oriented cleanse with Joseph.

We hung out with the other people staying at the lodge and had a great time meeting very unique and fun individuals. I wish we had more time here.

No matter who you are you will love it here. Don't come with any expecations.. it will blow you away.
Danielle and Joseph, Jon and I (Liz) hope to see you soon.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

This hotel is beautiful; apparently the owners used to live here, added some other accomodations and turned it into a hotel. Location is up high on a hill...not walking distance to beach or town. Long, hot, dusty roads to the bottom. Upon arriving we were delighted by the beauty of the main area...just beautiful with inifinity pool and views. The owner/manager Joseph was very pleasant upon arriving and there were many other people milling around and we didn't know if they were staff or guests and they did not say anything upon our arrival. Later we found they were mostly staff. This is a place if you are into yoga, are not a drinker/partier, and generally laid back you will fit in well with the yogi owners. We felt like we were intruding on someones personal space. The other owner/yoga instructor was aloof and even when directly speaking to her she gave the feeling that she was being put out by having to speak to you. The hotel lists internet provided....there was an employee; Heidi, who CONSUMED the only available laptop so if you could get to it before she did you could try to use it....not a great connection and took many trys to access. Our room was beautful and it was sometimes cleaned; we stayed several days and some days not.....unsure of there method of cleaning. The Costa Rican employees; Oscar, Yohan and I belive Anna were warm, tried to take of your needs; cooked and were really the delight of the staff.
The food Oscar made for dinner was good, his energy and warmth made it great.
The place should be a community vibe/feel because you share the majority of the space, but, I think it misses greatly. They are new. Hopefully, it will be better down the road.
Must be ok with Geckos, scorpions, lot's o' bugs as the spaces are very open.
AC worked decently.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

I was lucky enough to be introduced to this hotel by a friend. It is lavish, and in my opinion, has the perfect rich coloring for each room. It feels good to be here. Simultaneously exotic and simple. I felt to be living in some kind of dream castle. Down to earth owners who genuinely love what they have created--one gets the sense that they care about the community or solitude that might be created within it's walls and little cottages and beyond the edges of the infinity pool. The kind of place where on the right night I might feel entirely comfortable drinking wine with dinner and then licking my plate.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
brooklyn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2010

everything at anamaya seeps thoughtfulness- from the food prepared, to the beds made. from the gentleman tending the garden and pool, to the warmth of joseph and jeff (the owners) . to say anamaya is the closest place i've ever been to heaven is not an exaggeration!i found anamaya when i met a friendly girl on a boat (who just happens to live in my same neighborhood in brooklyn, and whom I see quite frequently post-costa rica!)I told her I was really looking for some place i could hunker down at for a night to reflect, unwind and practice yoga. She recommended anamaya without blinking. She said, "i cannot do this place justice with my own words, you just have to see it." I ended up staying there for the remaining 5 days of my trip and it was the best travel decision I ever made! my days were spent either at the gorgeous gorgeous infinity pool, or down by the famed montezuma waterfall which is only a 2 minute walk down a little trail. I also rented an ATV in downtown montezuma and LOVED driving it up to anamaya and around the jungle and beach, and i would pick up locals and friends alike who wanted a lift. A perfect balance of luxury and adventure, a favorite combination of mine!my nights at anamaya were magical as well. dinners were spent around the gorgeous communal table drinking wine,enjoying the creations of one of the two talented chefs, and having great conversations with both the people who work there and travelers alike. The rooms are immaculate and unbelievable. no photo would do this place justice. Joseph and Jeff also bend over backwards to make everyone comfortable-you can truly tell running this retreat is a passion and love of theirs. the bali room is truly the most romantic place on earth,and the jungle room is simply amazing. my last night while i was showering in my outdoor shower i watched a family of howler monkeys, 5 feet away in the trees. Thank you joseph and jeff for sharing your place, stories, and wonderful spirits and energy with me. Bravo!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

Been to Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center? Share your experiences!