“Hammocks, Howler Monkeys, and Healing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center
You added Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center to your Saves list
300 mts NE of Mariposario, Montezuma 00001, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
Rochester, New York
“Hammocks, Howler Monkeys, and Healing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

What a delightful, charming place. The view, with an infinity pool perched on a cliff overlooking the ocean, will take your breath away. For this mostly-vegetarian, the meals were a treat - fresh, delicious, beautiful to look at, plentiful. Staff was friendly and accomodating. I thoroughly enjoyed the twice-daily yoga classes with guest teacher April, with howler monkeys and iguanas observing us nearby. I made it my mission to try out every one of the dozen or so hammocks scattered throughout the resort, each offering a unique view of the forest and ocean. I was there to celebrate my birthday, and the staff made it special with a silky avocado brithday cake. I would come back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Anamaya is one of those places which would bless you with memories you'll cary with you throughout your life. You'll meet great people, make friends for life and have adventures. Its up to you what you do. Anamaya is just there to help you help yourself. It is a kind of place that can help you find what you are looking for, if you let it.
So, chose your destination and go, if you accept everyone you meet as a teacher then the truth will not be withheld from you.

Namaste,
Best of luck to you on your journey...
Denis

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Murrieta, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

I had the pleasure of being a guest teacher at the exotic Anamaya and I have to tell you that I am already planning to go back! From the moment you walk through the doors until the time you leave you are treated like family. The staff and the resident kitty, Onyx, really care about your well being and your experience at Anamaya and go out of their way to make sure your stay there is superb. The food is delicious and fresh with nice plated presentations. The views are breathtaking, you must get up early at least one time while you're there to meditate as the sunrises with a very curious iguana that likes to also watch the sun come up. I can write a book about the unforgettable experience I had, but you'll have to go for yourself and experience how taken you become with Costa Rica, Anamaya, the beaches and the beautiful people.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Windsor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I don't think there's a place as magical as Anamaya. I travelled on my first solo trip here and was feeling a little nervous but from the moment I arrived I was greeted with a delicious smoothie and open arms. Everyone was just amazing....staff, travelers....the place is gorgeous! Delicious food and probably the healthiest I've eaten in my life! Lots to do or very little depending what you want. The facial was amazing....the views...the pool. Everything exceeded my expectations especially the friends I made :) Don't hesitate just go!

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Amamaya is ONE of a kind. No words can truly explain the magic that comes from Montezuma! This place changed my life forever and I can not thank Anamaya enough for guiding me thru meditation, yoga, healthy eating and experiencing nature at its most beautiful extent! I never dreamed it could be that good. EVER. It was a truly mystical experience and it changed me forever. All I have to say is GO… and plan on never wanting to leave. I am headed back in one month and have only been home for a week!

TRIP OF A LIFETIME! WORTH EVERY PENNY! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Room Tip: The JUNGLE CABINA was AMAZZZZING! Only if you like monkeys in the trees while you sleep and watching...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

I was looking for a special place where I could practice some Yoga with other inspiring people in a beautiful environment. And I exactly found that special place in Anamaya, Montezuma, Costa Rica.
After a warm welcome from the receptionist I was given an awesome Smoothie and shown the generous and very clean room, called "Temple". I had a private room with luxurious King size bed, balcony with hanging mat and safe (though I felt I actually didn't need to lock my belongings as I felt very safe and comfortable there anyway). I shared the bathroom with another guest which wasn't a problem with her at all.
I was member of a Yoga retreat week at Anamaya with two guest Yoga teachers from Montreal which was a great new experience. The group, mostly Canadians, has had a nice energy and it was much fun to practice with them. At the end I became friends with some of them and to say good-bye was pretty hard.
Mentionable in any case is the amazing food and meals (lunch/dinner) they served. It was simple gorgeous, especially the Desserts :) They took care of everyone's food determined allergies or intolerances, mostly vegan or vegetarian. Though the portions sometimes could have been a little bigger ;)
Additionally to the pure Yoga you could choose other activities such as surfing, horseback riding, a waterfall hike or a snorkeling trip to a beautiful paradising island which by the Way was very adventurous with that speed boat taking every roaring wave.
Bodywork treatments can also be booked which is a nice combination to Yoga and the other activities and processed by Dianne or Laura knowing exactly what they do.
Well, all in all it's not that cheap or budget-priced place, but the quality, the hospitality, the staff, the food and last but not least the amazing accomodation and views overlooking the lush Vegetation and the ocean, is worth its price.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
San Marcos La Laguna, Guatemala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

I had been searching for months trying to find a yoga retreat somewhere exotic that really resonated with me. Somehow I found Anamaya's website and knew that it was exactly where I needed to go. I flew into SJO and had a shuttle from Anamaya pick me up and bring me to the resort. I was a little nervous to travel there as I was 20 years old and didn't speak much spanish but the trip was very safe and I felt comfortable the whole time. When we arrived to Anamaya, I got out of the car and was warmly greeted by Manijay and brought inside the resort and promptly given a fresh smoothie. I then walked out onto the yoga deck and was blown away by the incredible view of the ocean and lush green forests. The beauty is indescribable, something you would see on a postcard or something.
I was there for a week long yoga retreat and had the time of my life. I met people from all over the world at the retreat and made so many incredible friends. I had traveled there solo and was a little apprehensive because I thought everyone would be with partners or with groups of friends. Most people here though are solo travelers too and I was able to become close friends with so many. 6 months later I still regularly talk to many of them as we became such great friends during our week at Anamaya.
The food that they serve there needs a whole paragraph just to describe how incredible it is. I'm vegan and gluten intolerant so I thought that I would just have to be conscious of what I was served and pick out the few things I could eat as I have to do in most places. Upon arriving here though, they asked me about my diet in great detail and made sure for the entire week that I always had food made for my specific diet. How many places will do that?!? Not many. I got to feast on amazing fresh organic foods that are locally grown at their organic farm and a variety of incredible dishes they make for each meal. They provide so many food options so there really is something for everyone. To this day I crave their food. Yum!
The rooms are beautiful and extremely clean, their massage therapists are incredible, every staff member I met was warm and helpful and spoke english and the yoga classes they offered were beautiful. The owner Joseph was there while I stayed there and was so accommodating and warm to everyone. He really ensured that everyone had an incredible experience. I think it says a lot when the owner will take the time to really get to know the guests and is so genuine to everyone. When I left, the staff all called me by name and hugged me. The Anamaya staff really became a little family for me.
I really can't recommend this place enough. It was an experience that changed my life and that I hold closely to my heart.

Room Tip: I stayed in the most basic room which is the Dorm room and it was incredible. There are 5 beds and 2...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montezuma
Kalapiti Luxury Jungle Suites
Hotel Celaje
Hotel Celaje
#1 of 2 in Cabuya
4.0 of 5 stars 135 reviews

Been to Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center? Share your experiences!