“Do NOT hesitate to book a retreat here!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center
Save Saved
You added Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center to your Saves list
300 mts NE of Mariposario, Montezuma 00001, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
Middletown, New Jersey
“Do NOT hesitate to book a retreat here!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

I went to Anamaya for a month long yoga teacher training and could not have been more pleased with the location, accomodations, staff and food. We were made to feel completely at home.
The site is perched on a hill overlooking the water and is a mile or so walk down to the beach and town. It is STEEP and good going down but coming up is a workout! Cabs are available if you are not so inclined. It is a spectacular location with views from most every room. I stayed in the Hanuman Cabin which is down a few sets of stairs. (Don't pick this one if you have difficulties with steps) It had a king bed and a queen bed, outdoor bathroom and deck with hammock. I saw all the rooms there and really, there is not one I wouldn't have felt comfy and happy in. There are a number of 'share' rooms with many beds. they have good pictures on the website if that is important to you.
Food - Grown locally on a farm that is associated with Anamaya. Everything fresh, delicious. They have a fantastic chef. They are willing to accomodate any diet - Just speak up! and it will happen for you. All of the staff is so friendly, helpful-I feel like part of their family now! Joseph the owner and creator of this retreat center is helpful and knowledgeable and you can see his attention to detail everywhere. He's done a wonderful job in making this a place to remember and come back to. I can't say that really, about anywhere else I've ever been.
Let me know if you have any questions further - happy to answer them for you about this place!
JUST GO!

Room Tip: Best rooms there are: Bali & Hanuman ( both with a view)
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

I was looking for an oasis getaway and I found it! Anamaya is an absolutely beautiful place (the pictures don't do it justice!), with great people, delicious food and all the tropical activities you could want. Yoga 2x a day, surf, waterfall hikes, horseback riding, spa, snorkeling and interesting people and conversations from all over. Highly recommended for anyone looking for a healthy, rejuvenating adventure!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Upon arrival at Anamaya, I was greeted by Manijay with a warm smile and a passion fruit smoothie made with fresh fruit from the incredible nearby farm. I arrived just in time to see the sunset and the breathtaking view of the ocean, jungle just over the infinity pool. I am home.
The staff took care of everything. As I walked towards the yoga deck, I hear laughter and music inviting me in. I joined the serene evening candlelight yoga and shivers all through my body, joy and clarity in my soul. I came to the right place. I then ate a nourishing and creative feast of healing and delicious organic food. Back to my lovely house for a quiet night, I enjoyed an outdoor shower under the stars and then slept like a baby. This place is truly unique.

Review of the yoga sessions:
Doing yoga with Becky is about loving and accepting who you are. She naturally brings a depth of wisdom, profound knowledge of yoga, healing soulful music with a playful spirit and compassionate guidance. She has a common sense no bull approach and is truly herself inspiring others to show up just exactly as they are.

My experience in her class was just that; it was an experience. A truly human, genuine, challenging and fun experience; which was exactly what I was looking for but certainly did not expect to find.

Wisdom that I will carry with me from her class: Love your beautifully flawed and beautifully human self

Let go of perfection and trust that you are enough just as you are

Listen to your intelligent body. Look for the small transformations that are possible and significant every day. It does not have to be something huge.

Take rest. Be compassionate with yourself. Enough said.

She has captured the true essence of yoga and shares that with everyone of all walks of life and experience.

Thank you.

Kathleen

Ottawa, Canada

Room Tip: All of the rooms and houses are great!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

I stayed at the Anamaya for a week during a month-long trip to Costa Rica. The accommodation was great, especially the large house where we could hang out as a group during the evenings. The yoga was very enjoyable, we were taught by a visiting teacher - Judy Levin - I especially enjoyed the evening practice. The view from the yoga deck is simply unbeatable, on a couple of occasions we were joined in the nearby trees by the local troop of howler monkeys. The food was amazing for most people - but as a vegetarian I found that it did become boring. I love avocado - but not at every meal! There were a few mistakes with the booking of activities and the staff didn't seem too concerned about fixing them. Overall I had a great time, mainly due to the group of people that I was lucky enough to meet at Anamaya. This hotel was good, but with a few small improvements and more attention to detail has the potential to be great!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Cold Lake, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Gorgeous, serene, full of love. Met inspiring and amazing people. As much quiet as you need, great conversation, great yoga, the food was impecable, the staff above and beyond. There is no better yoga deck! I LOVED it all. I will go back!

Room Tip: Sharing a room was great and made trip a little cheaper. Had the Ananda cabin and was very happy the...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

If you are going to Costa Rica, you MUST stop by Anamaya. It will change you forever! Anamaya is more than a resort! Everyone who has been will tell you, it's home! You become part of this beautiful, loving, compassionate familiy that is the staff and all the guests that stay at Anamaya. Your heart won't help but feel immense grattitude every single moment you will be in this haven of peace, quiet, transformation, meditation and most important of all of pure and unfiltered LOVE. Anamaya touches the heart of anyone that goes. Let yourself be inspired by this wonderful, magical place.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

No pre-expectations could have prepared me for all the ways I was to heal and grow in this magical space. Every aspect of anamaya is perfectly tailored to the needs of every individual, each yogi in pursuit of a slightly different flavour of rejuvenation, and every inkling met and handled with grace by an unconditionally loving staff. Feeling instantly warmed by the glow of care from start to finish, anamaya seamed to hold me, as myself and my fellow yogis embarked upon a sometimes gregarious path of deep self analysis. I had arrived in Costa Rica some time before the start of the course, and organised to stay for a week on the anamaya farm as a volunteer. Staying in an creative little greenhouse with another volunteer and immersing myself in farm life for the first time, I got to see the behind the scenes action of the business, and experience the energy that fuels anamaya. From the farmers to the owners I felt welcomed into the family and continually taken aback by the generosity I experienced.
Upon arrival, glass of fresh smoothie in hand I left my bags and sat on the yoga deck with my feet dangling over the jungle, and my eyes wide, drinking in the expanding ocean before me. Inhaling the sweet green green jungle dew and tropical fruits and flowers, the incense of anamaya softly harmonised with natures selection, healing saturated the air. Simply breathing in the stillness, and allowing the landscape to speak it's message had such consequence. Merely acknowledging the energy of surrounding aesthetics was transformational for a state of mind. I met some really amazing people, mostly girls everyone was drawn together for a common purpose, Anamaya attracts a great crowd. My teacher Banyan Gallegher taught me lessons that I will keep with me for ever, the Yoga Teachers Training was no less than a transformational experience.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Ananda room it was a dream! It had the most amazing outdoor marble floor and huge ba...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center? Share your experiences!