“the most healing and beautiful space in the world” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center
Save Saved
You added Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center to your Saves list
300 mts NE of Mariposario, Montezuma 00001, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 19 hotels in Montezuma
London, England, United Kingdom
“the most healing and beautiful space in the world”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

No pre-expectations could have prepared me for all the ways I was to heal and grow in this magical space. Every aspect of anamaya is perfectly tailored to the needs of every individual, each yogi in pursuit of a slightly different flavour of rejuvenation, and every inkling met and handled with grace by an unconditionally loving staff. Feeling instantly warmed by the glow of care from start to finish, anamaya seamed to hold me, as myself and my fellow yogis embarked upon a sometimes gregarious path of deep self analysis. I had arrived in Costa Rica some time before the start of the course, and organised to stay for a week on the anamaya farm as a volunteer. Staying in an creative little greenhouse with another volunteer and immersing myself in farm life for the first time, I got to see the behind the scenes action of the business, and experience the energy that fuels anamaya. From the farmers to the owners I felt welcomed into the family and continually taken aback by the generosity I experienced.
Upon arrival, glass of fresh smoothie in hand I left my bags and sat on the yoga deck with my feet dangling over the jungle, and my eyes wide, drinking in the expanding ocean before me. Inhaling the sweet green green jungle dew and tropical fruits and flowers, the incense of anamaya softly harmonised with natures selection, healing saturated the air. Simply breathing in the stillness, and allowing the landscape to speak it's message had such consequence. Merely acknowledging the energy of surrounding aesthetics was transformational for a state of mind. I met some really amazing people, mostly girls everyone was drawn together for a common purpose, Anamaya attracts a great crowd. My teacher Banyan Gallegher taught me lessons that I will keep with me for ever, the Yoga Teachers Training was no less than a transformational experience.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Ananda room it was a dream! It had the most amazing outdoor marble floor and huge ba...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

134 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I am a city girl and I never even went camping. I was a little bit apprehensive about booking at this resort because I was not sure if I could handle all the nature. When I arrived at the resort, all my fears disappeared. The staff (family) was at the door ready to greet me and welcome me home. Before you even begin to check in, they have you eat a very delicious lunch while you get your bearings. I could not believe I was going to stay here for a week.

I stayed in the Ananda cabin and it was everything I hoped it to be and more. The cabina was very spacey and the view was beautiful. The outdoor bathroom was great and it did not bother me. I saw a few of the other cabinas and they all looked amazing. For those who are worried that people can see you naked when you're using the outdoor bathroom, we passed by the resort when we were coming back from Tortuga Island and it’s so well built that the only thing you see is the main house, everything is covered by the trees.

My favorite part of the entire resort was the yoga deck. It was surreal to be doing sun salutations facing the sun. Your view is above the jungle and beyond that is ocean. When you inhale, you smell nature and flowers. Everyone always talks about the view, but take a moment, and inhale.

I loved the pools. It was so relaxing to hang around the pool and look at the oceans. Under the infinity pool, there is an infrared sauna. Don’t forget to try it out.

The food was amazing. It was filling, healthy and delicious. Even with all the delicious food, I was able to lose a lot of weight because I was not eating any junk.

Anamaya has thought of everything and the attention to detail is superb. Everything is planned out perfectly. You can either have a very busy week filled with activities or you can have a totally blissful week. The service is far superior to any 5 star hotels in the entire world because they treat you like family instead of guests.

Another amazing aspect of Anamaya is that they teach you to respect and live with wildlife and nature. I don’t like bugs but I learned to live with them. I’m not going to lie; there are a lot of bugs. I am a bug magnetic and I'm also allergic although I did get bitten most people did not. I used Active OFF! And it worked very well.

If you are thinking about coming, don’t think. Just book!

This 5 star review is not based on extravagant luxury of the resort but on the experience that the resort gave me. The view is the best in the entire world. I could not get enough of it while I was there. This was an amazing and relaxing vacation where I really felt that I "found myself." Thank you Anamaya!

Room Tip: Choose whatever you think you will like. They're all great.
Wilmore, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Anamaya was great! The staff was like family and it was beyond beautiful there. The food was incredibly good and healthy. The yoga deck was the most serene place imaginable, perfect for yoga. The view from the deck felt as if you were in a movie. Hope I get to visit again! Could not have asked for a more beautiful place to spend the month and focus on my yoga practice.

Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Not enough words to describe the experience at this beautiful resort. The pictures do not do it enough justice. Not to mention the wonderful staff who were always willing to help out with any need I had. They were caring, kind, pleasant and very friendly. Yoga was intense and invigorating, wonderful instructor. The massages as relaxing as can be.The food was delicious, you could tell the chefs put all the effort into making it so yummy. I chose the yoga and rejuvenation package and ended up booking some of the other activities as well (quad to ride around the different towns, scuba diving, surf classes). The staff made all the necessary arrangements. The nearby town, Montezuma is fun and has everything you may need without having to go to far. Needed some time to recharge my spirit, Anamaya was definitely the place to be at. If u want to travel with friends, family or solo for fun, to rest or to do any healing this is for sure a place to keep in mind. Look forward to going back.

Room Tip: All rooms are different in size, design and location, ALL equally beautiful, clean, comfortable and...
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

OMG!! This is an amazing place. Pure bliss. If you're thinking about it my best advice is pay for it and GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! You won't regret it. The place is amazing, the staff is excellent, caring, loving, pleasant, and above all humble! Montezuma is gorgeous, the culture is exquisite. By far the best vacation I've ever had. Also, if you have a hubby like mine who does not like yoga get the yoga and adventure package...he will love it and thank you for it. In this place you can have it all if you want too....relax, find yourself, connect with nature or connect with others. If you want adventure is here too...just book it and go!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait for spring to go back!!!

Room Tip: For couples the Prana room is the best :)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I recently attended a month long yoga teacher training June 2013. The experienced was LIFE CHANGING! The website and pictures do NOT do the resort justice. It is absolutely magical. The surroundings are peaceful, clean, beautiful and inviting. The staff are like family. The food was equally marvelous. I could tell everything was done with love. It was also very apparent that the owners have put their heart and soul into creating heaven on earth. With open hearts and open minds this resort allowed me to find the happiness that was hidden in the darkness. I recommend staying at this resort if you are looking for peace, love, connection to earth, and gratitude. I will be returning and bringing my friends and family with me. I am counting the days.

Room Tip: Check out their website for a picture and description of the rooms. I saw several of them and there...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

If you need some time away to recover and recoup while having an amazing time, this is the place to go! The pictures don't do the place justice- it is amazing. I did the surf and yoga package and had an amazing time! I was a beginner at both and had a great experience. Could not recommend the place more highly. The rest of the group that was there really made the experience- made some awesome new friends. Only word of advice is that if you take the shuttle and ferry (nice way to see more of the country), pack lightly because you have to carry your bags up and down 2 flights of stairs :-)

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center? Share your experiences!